Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bulb Replacement Dash

Mark twiglet

I have a mk 3 estate on an 05 plate!

There are 10 bulbs behind clocks! The one behind the fuel gauge has blown and the one between the two main dials in middle have blown! What type of bulbs are they? There are 6 of one type and 4 of another I believe! I only want to take clocks out once!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 2 weeks later...

if I am not mistaken they use SMD LED's, so unless your an exceptional solder artist, I would suggest you remove the dash, check if its a standard incandescent, and if it isnt, send it off for repair.

The two little LCD panels are lit up by a 286 bulb behind each panel, the same type of bulb that lights the little ring around the lighter/12V in the centre console. There are 4 more of these up the middle of the cluster that light the indicator arrows, sidelight symbol and main beam symbol.

There are then 4 x 504 bulbs behind the rev counter and speedo dials...they're a 3W version of your standard 501 wedge bulb used in sidelights etc.

See pic below of rear of cluster I grabbed from an online guide and edited...ignore the yellow rings, they're screws for removing the back off, only needed if you're planning on changing the colour of the LCD panel filter. Red rings are for the 504 bulbs, blue rings are for the 286 bulbs.

It's an idea to change the lot of them at once to save having to do it again in the near future if one or more of the remaining bulbs fail. Should only be a few quid from your local motor factors for the lot (4 x 504 plus 6 x 286).

post-30295-0-63975100-1421765540_thumb.j

post-30295-0-67285600-1421765381_thumb.j

I did this a while ago. Got myself all preped expecting it to take an age and it ended up taking all of 10 mins rom start to finish