Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo & radio power surge problem

nikkihc

Hello all,

I have a Ford Focus Silver on an 02 plate, 128000 miles on the clock.

I've owned this since Novemeber but a problem with the speedo and radio has just started over the last month.

Whilst driving, the speedo will suddenly go from 30/40mph (actual driving speed) to 80/100/120mph (any random speed basically). This happens at any speed and at any random time during a journey, anywhere from 10mins to an hour or so into a journey.

When this happens, the radio volume also goes up.

This leads me to believe that there is some sort of "power surge".

Has anyone had this problem and if so, do you know why it happens and if its easy enough to fix?

Many thanks

Nikki

I'm not sure of the correct term for it but your radio may have some sort of noise increase system on it that automaticly increases the volume when driving at higher speeds to off put road noise. Assuming it takes the reading from the same place your speedo does this could be tricking it. Try turning this off if the radio has this function.

If this stops your radio from playing up next time your speedo jumps I would say you've either got a faulty cluster unit or a problem with the ecu. If not then I'm stumped <_<

could be the speed sensor as it sends signals to the speedo and the radio for the auto volume function.

could be the speed sensor as it sends signals to the speedo and the radio for the auto volume function.

Thank you Mintalkin & Gaz, we hadn't thought of the auto volume control thing !

I will try to find out how to turn this off first and as you say, that might narrow down the reason.

If of course either of you know how to turn this function off, please do also let me know.

Many thanks again...

Suppose that's a easier way of putting it. Lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club