Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Dealership

jace1969

Booked in car at a ford dealer to activate pass airbag on/off switch,after a mess up about a

sticker for glove box all done now,i fitted the stuff ( not sticker ) switch and switch light.

Well they did one of these free health checks and said i have 4% water in my brake fluid ????

They said it needs changing ( i know about the 2 year change reading on here ).

So off i went to my local ford dealer where i have car from and showed them the report.

''car booked in at this garage to look at reverse camera not working and rain sensor wipers''

today......9/1 friday.......

They said that water can get in there through time 2 years,they taken copies of the forms from other

ford garage of the check etc.

I said yes but only had the car from you under 3 months,we will look into it. ANOTHER TO THE LIST.

Why i wrote this is are ford dealers trusted as by the look at it they don't test cars right.

So car in today looking at 3 things now.

And no way can water be in the fluid in 3 months (if they did check it when i had it)

Sorry about the rant but i'm going off ford service etc,a good local trusted garage you know seems

better who will put ford parts on.

edit.....Went to the first ford garage as £12 chaper to activate switch

Your car is 3 to 4years old? Most sales places don't check the brake fluid apart from level, when they sell the car. If the fluid had been changed at the 2 year period during that service, then it's highly unlikely that it'll have been checked since, apart from the health check you have been told that has taken place.

This means that there has beeen a year or more since it was changed. So as unlikely as it may sound, the dealer can't really be held responsible for not knowing there was water in the system.

Your car is 3 to 4years old? Most sales places don't check the brake fluid apart from level, when they sell the car. If the fluid had been changed at the 2 year period during that service, then it's highly unlikely that it'll have been checked since, apart from the health check you have been told that has taken place.

This means that there has beeen a year or more since it was changed. So as unlikely as it may sound, the dealer can't really be held responsible for not knowing there was water in the system.

I never knew that,i thought when they sell a car it should have at least a health check to see if the car is ok

to drive just to protect them if something fails,is this like a dip-stick check that changes color if water etc.

Anyway just come back and left it with them and having new brake fluid done as they said its there mistake.

Also they let me run around in a ''vauxhall adam'' LOL lets just say,quiet and smooth....thats it,gearbox is bad.64 plate.

The problem is, brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it actually absorbs water. With the weather we had before Christmas there was a lot of it about, high humidity also allows water to enter the fluid as braking and releasing lets air into and out of the master cylinder reservoir, not being a totally sealed system. It could have passed a water check 3 months previously and show an increase since then, putting it above whatever limit is deemed requires replacement. Plus, the dealer may have had the car for a couple of months, but done whatever checks it does, when it received the car, so may be even longer.

Good news on the replacement, and it doesn't take long to do with their equipment.

The problem is, brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it actually absorbs water. With the weather we had before Christmas there was a lot of it about, high humidity also allows water to enter the fluid as braking and releasing lets air into and out of the master cylinder reservoir, not being a totally sealed system. It could have passed a water check 3 months previously and show an increase since then, putting it above whatever limit is deemed requires replacement. Plus, the dealer may have had the car for a couple of months, but done whatever checks it does, when it received the car, so may be even longer.

Good news on the replacement, and it doesn't take long to do with their equipment.

Yes,didn't think they would do it so i was going to have it done anyway but saved me a bit of £££

I know the masterfit manager as he did my vauxhall a lot,i get a few bits of info at times about stuff.

Thanks for the advice...gary and be glad to get it back,mine aint fast in that way but this ADAM 68bhp.

I think it's one of those things where a lot of dealers will cut corners wherever they can. If they do a health check on a car they are trying to sell, it could lead to them spending money on it. If they do a health check on a customer's car it could lead to them earning money.

• Like 2

I think it's one of those things where a lot of dealers will cut corners wherever they can. If they do a health check on a car they are trying to sell, it could lead to them spending money on it. If they do a health check on a customer's car it could lead to them earning money.

Mate you are so right,i always think that as there fast enough to sell it.

Its in for 3 things so we will see,brake fluid,reverse camera and window wiper sensor wipe.

All sorted,new fluid done and new camera on order and cost me not a penny :) :) :)

Booked in for next thursday.

• Like 2

Perry's did a health check on the ZS Tdci I took in for p/ex after a price was agreed and cars had changed hands - after giving me £2600 (lower than I wanted) they had to spend little under £1500 sorting various problems on the car!

I'm just thankful they actually health checked it before it left the garage again!

Co-incidentally the Turbo was replaced by Thame Ford in my ownership of the car, three weeks after it had been passed on to the new owner Turbo blew again and Ford tried charging him £1000+ until I piped up saying it should be fixed under warranty (the ONLY reason I bought a Ford Reco Turbo + paid extortionate labour costs) <-- have their own TSB's regarding problem areas and servicing - can't even follow them.

• Like 1

Perry's did a health check on the ZS Tdci I took in for p/ex after a price was agreed and cars had changed hands - after giving me £2600 (lower than I wanted) they had to spend little under £1500 sorting various problems on the car!

I'm just thankful they actually health checked it before it left the garage again!

Co-incidentally the Turbo was replaced by Thame Ford in my ownership of the car, three weeks after it had been passed on to the new owner Turbo blew again and Ford tried charging him £1000+ until I piped up saying it should be fixed under warranty (the ONLY reason I bought a Ford Reco Turbo + paid extortionate labour costs) <-- have their own TSB's regarding problem areas and servicing - can't even follow them.

Its strange aint it,my local ford where i had my car from (walking distance about 15mins ) is a good'ish place.

I just stand my ground on stuff with them and they sort it,some people just say 'ok' then pay for something that was

under cover,i have 2 local ford dealers,1 is about a mile away T.WALL ford /vauxhall.

The other is STARTIN ford, ford/hyundai dealer but the one is a good £10 to £20 cheaper.....Startin ford.