Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My First Elm327 Scan Results Are In

tractor

hey all

My 2010 focus 1.6TDCI was throwing up an engine malfunction light if I pushed it hard, and once the light had come on I couldn't go above 3000 revs, if I switched the car off and left it for a bit it would go back to normal but if I pushed it the malfunction light would come on again......so

I do a lot of very short journeys usually about 2/3 miles 4 times a day going to work and going home for lunch, after a lot of very usfull reading on here its looking like a blocked DPF - Ive never had the pleasure of knowing what a DPF until now :)

so long story short I bought myself and Elm327 again based on what I've read on here, I've just been out and connected it and I have to say for £15 I'm so impressed with it.

heres what it thrown up

scanresults_zps0c720c0b.jpg

so looks like the egr is stuck so I'll pull it off tomorrow and clean it but my question is

I want to do a static regeneration to clear the dpf because the fans are staying on when I switch

the engine off so it needs it

what would you do, clean the egr before or after the regen?

tractor

Yeah that makes sense, I'll go up a few junctions on the motorway and back

I'm thinking I'd better do the erg first though? Would you agree? Coe I doubt a blast up the motorway or a static regen will unsized it will it

Trac

Cheers just wanted to check - what did people do before forums :)

.......not have so many electronics, sensors and European emission targets to worry about I guess

I have ordered an EGR blanking plate off of eBay but it's not arrived if it doesn't turn up while the EGR is off and being cleaned tomorrow morning I'll have to fit it another time

Just thinking now, what's the best thing to clean the EGR valve with? A bit of petrol and a toothbrush should do the trick shouldn't it?

Trac

I would certainly clean the EGR Valve first using Wynn's Carb Cleaner.

Then force a reg via the ELMCONFIG software.

Then go for a motorway drive in 3rd at 70mph for about 10 miles to give it a good clean

The best thing to clean the egr is Mr muscle foam oven cleaner. Trust me I've had the same problem on an old vag group car I had before my fiesta st. Might tried loads of cleaners and I was struggling till a friend told me about Mr muscle. Sprayed it on left it to work and hay presto the carbon gunk just came straight off.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 2

Hey guys thanks for all your help, I cleaned the seized EGR with diesel and a tooth brush in the end but Mr muscle sounds a lot easier so I'll remember that one.

I've had a right day of it....

I dropped the EGR gaskest down the back of the engine, took ages to find it and get it back out.

While I was under the bonnet I decided to change the fuel filter because there was a fault code for it, course I didn't prime the system properly so 2 flat batteries later i had to get my mate to toe me to get it going again

I did the air filter as well

But then I took it out for a blast, it's running much MUCH better now, so pleased with it

I did a static regen using forscan anyway for the sake of it

The funny thing was though it didn't go above 1500 rpm ? I thought it would go up around the 4000 mark? Any one else done a regen on a 2010 1.6tdci using forscan

I've got absolutely no faut codes now though, well chuffed

Trac

Trac

The funny thing was though it didn't go above 1500 rpm ? I thought it would go up around the 4000 mark? Any one else done a regen on a 2010 1.6tdci using forscan

I would have expected it to reach 4,000rpm from what it heard

Yeah me as well

What I didn't realise was that I can read the pressure difference across the dpf using forscan, I'll try reading that today

I think if it's less that 5kp it's not worth worry about? If that is the case the car probably knows this and doesn't Rev it's self so high unnecessary

Just a theory .......

Trac

• Like 1

The pressure difference in mine was hitting 13kPa in places with a blocked DPF lol. I haven't checked it since changing DPF though, should do really, I'll try and remember to do that at some point.

As for the regen at 1500rpm, your car will have the coated DPF, not the Eolys one, it will be able to burn soot at much lower temps so doesn't need such high rpms.

That's gotta be some good news then, no expensive eolys

I'll put the pressure difference results up when I get a chance to run the car again

Trac

imagejpg1_zpsd97d21f7.jpg

Chuffed with that

It did rise to about 6KPa @3000rpm or just over 40 in 3rd gear

The forscan software really is awesome,

Trac

• Like 1

Hi Tractor,

After cleaning the EGR valve, did you try resetting the learning values? This can be done within FORscan.

Also, I'd be interested to know your Pressure Differential readings. I've tried FORscan and got a reading of 0 kPa at idle, but remains at 0 if I rev the car. I assumed it was a faulty DP sensor, but when I went out for a drive, it showed an average reading of 3 kPa with a max of 6 kPa.

Would you mind checking to see if yours reads 0 at idle and when rev'd when stationary?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve the photo above was taken with the car at idle, so I'm getting 1kpa at idle and if I rev upto around 3000rpm the pressure difference rises to around the 6kpa mark

How much are you revving up to? And do you hold the revs long enough for a reading to be made although to be fair the software is pretty instant with its feedback

And no I didn't reset the EGR valve adaptations, I was gunna do that after I've blanked it off

But I did reset the dpf learned values after the static regen

Trac

Hi Trac,

I'll check it again at the weekend and see what it does when it's rev'd and held for a couple of seconds. I wonder if it's worth using the "Reset Differential Pressure Sensor Learned values", let it re-learn, and check again. I'll put a post on FORscan and see what they say.

• Like 1

I thought I'd use FORscan today on the way to work, as I had to go the back roads in and it gave the car a bit more to do rather than sit at a constant 70 MPH for 25 miles. The oscilloscope captured a DPF regeneration.

It started off quite quickly, and the 'EGR Throttle Value %' went from 2% to 30%. Not sure if this is a % of being opened or closed. It was also approx. 275 miles since the last regen trial.

The 'Pre Particle Filter Temp' went from 350C to a max of 600C and back to 350C for approx. 4.5 mins. The 'Distance since last regen' reset back to zero.

The whole thing, from the EGR change to the Pre PF temp coming back down, lasted approx. 5.5 mins. Does this sound about right?

I've got it booked in at Fords for a diagnostic check on Thursday for the P2459 DTC code, but I think I'll cancel it, as I can't see them being able to tell me much more than FORscan. Also, if they decide to do a static regen, it will sit there reving its nuts off at 4K RPM for up to 15 mins. They have said that if the turbo goes, engine goes, etc, they will not be responsible..... bugger that risk when I want to sell it!!

The P2459 error is one that you cannot clear yourself. Does it have to go through several regens before it's satisfied that the fault has been rectified? I wonder if resetting the learned values for the DPF would reset the DTC code....

It started off quite quickly, and the 'EGR Throttle Value %' went from 2% to 30%. Not sure if this is a % of being opened or closed. It was also approx. 275 miles since the last regen trial.

With the FORscan detecting the EGR valve, do you leave the OBD plugged into the laptop whilst your driving?

I've not used FORscan before so not sure on its use.

Hi jbeer,

Yes, I left it plugged in, set the live feed off on FORscan and tucked it away until the end of the journey. Highly recommend FORscan for any diagnostics, or just for peace of mind because a lot of DTC codes don't throw up the EML. The software's free and the modified ELM327 is only £12.95 on eBay.

Thanks for that, I have the FORscan software and a modified ELM as I've used the ELMConfig software before.

So you have the ELM connected to the OBD slot, ELM also plugged into a laptop and the laptop tucked away?

Thanks for that, I have the FORscan software and a modified ELM as I've used the ELMConfig software before.

So you have the ELM connected to the OBD slot, ELM also plugged into a laptop and the laptop tucked away?

Yeah, I sit my tablet beside my seat, drive around recording stuff, once a month I record a long run with a mix of driving, I figured if anything goes wrong I can use it to help diagnostics, also helped with an issue at a garage, they did some work, a temp sensor went wrong, they tried to claimed it was a separate issue and wanted 120 to fix, so I pulled out the data, proved it was working before they did the work an stopped afterwards. Sorted it for nothing after that :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club