Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Undecided On Which Car

Bulk

Evening.

I am going to have a look at a few 2nd hand mk3 focus' tomorrow with a view to buying 1 of them.

All of them are Titanium X's but 1 is a 1.6 TDCi with 27k miles on the clock on an 11 plate, 2 previous owners, tax band B.

Another is a petrol 1.6 with 15k miles on clock also on an 11 plate, just 1 previous owner but tax band E.

Lastly is another 1.6 TDCi which is the most expensive out of the 3 but has also clocked the most miles (38k). I am assuming that it being a 13 plate gives it its price tag despite the mileage which begs the question age over mileage or visa versa?

I would happily take either of these but I thought I would put it here just in case there are any potential pitfalls with the above or anything I should be aware of before purchasing?

Cheers.

i know some will disagree but im being honest theres better makes with better warranty out there with better reliability than ford for the same or less money vw seat kia to name a few i can say in all honesty my next car wont be a ford simply as theres better out there now if it had to be a ford i wouldnt touch a diesel unless you do 15k plus miles a year

I personally would go for the newer one as it's still in manufacturer waranty, however if you don't need a diesel for milage go for the 1.0 Ecoboost turbo, had two mk 3 Focus' with this engine and both were beautiful cars and couldn't fault them! Great fun the drive, cheap road tax and a fairly good mpg!

I wouldn't bother with the 1.6 petrol it's way to boaring to drive with rubbish mpg and expensive tax!

Fuel economy isn't that much of an issue because I wont do that many miles in it as I have a van which I use to and from work. Are the diesels that bad for short journeys? All I ever seem to read are horror stories with DPF filters ect. My work van is forever having engine lights coming up about DPF filters being blocked, but then I am forever stop starting in that. The tax on the 1.6 petrol is still a saving on what I pay now for my T reg focus so not a massive issue. I admit that I would prefer one of the ecoboosts but I cant find one locally with the spec im after at the price I want to pay. I see plenty of diesels, but these seem to have higher mileage and the odd petrol... it was out of these I am undecided.

I do around 10K a year (short journeys to work) but it gets a run some where or other every weekend and I went for my kuga in 2.0 TDCI which doesn't seem to be an issue (touching wood) based on your comments above I'd select the newest one personally if it's not much difference price!

Even though it has done double the mileage? Is there such a thing as good mileage? I am !Removed! with cars mate. :) Cheers.

Sorry misread the amount of millage it's done 37k does appear to be a bit high for a 2013 plate! Millage wise you should expect around 12k for each year of the age of the car, I'd allow a bit more for a diesel though! Are they dealer or private sales?

They are all from the same dealer. We bought my girlfriends polo there a few years ago with no issues and good service.... hence keen to buy from them again.

Yea was going to say buy from a dealer, you got any links for these cars mate?

The 1.6 petrol is gutless, even in 125bhp guise. I had an 11 plate one, felt like you had to thrash it all time to get it to move.

37k on a 13 plate car definitely seems high, if you go for the that own check servies have been done at right intervals, also ask who was previous owner. Could be ex hire car, if so check condition carefully, they aren't all bad some are obviously abused.

Mines ex hertz car 28k on 13plate 1.0 ecoboost, no issues what so ever, and still ford warranty until may 16

My birds polo from them was previously owned by a hire company and we had no issues with that either but it is a fair point to check.

service intervals 12.5k.

I've had ex hire car before, no problems with it. Just check condition, but thats like with any car really.

Are there any tell tale signs to look out for when you say check its condition? I normally look under the bonnet and then realise I don't know what Im looking at but then have to make out like I do. Any tips would be appreciated. Also assuming I go for a diesel, any driving tips to keep her in decent nick considering it wont get many miles in general use? Is it that beneficial to take it out on a motorway every now and again? Or is that an old wives tale? If not, how often? Once a week, once a month? Thanks again for the help.

If you purchase the diesel with 37k miles i would ask the dealer for a new service as its done 11k miles since its last.

Just check for dings/dents to bodywork or scrapes on wheels. With those miles on it, check for stone chips to bonnet/screen as it's likely to have done lots of motorway mileage.

If the dealer has done their job right you shouldn't find any problems.

Diesels do need a good run regularly to keep them in good nick, as they take a while to warm up.

Thanks for all the replies. I am leaning towards the 11 plate diesel just because its 2 grand cheaper and done less miles but it has had 2 previous owners... Would the consensus still be to go for the 13 plate irrespective of the mileage assuming its not been thrashed about? Im not a warranty man but what are peoples opinions on purchasing additional warranty such as AA warranty? Are they worth the paper they are written on or not?

The 1.6 looks like it's a 150 Ecoboost. I had one in my last Mk 3, plenty of power and a nice drive. Traded it for a 1.6 TDCi a couple of months ago. My advice is try them all, see which you like the most.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

If that is the 150 ecoboost does that mean it is incorrectly listed as tax band E?

Can't remember what tax band mine was, best to check with the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Personally, I'd go for the 11 plate 1.6 Petrol. Drove a 12 plate MK3 for almost a year with the 1.6 Diesel and it felt hard work at times.

If it's a diesel you're after, I'd pick the 11 plate over the 13 plate. I've driven several MK3 hire cars recently, all were on FE** plates so you can probably guarantee its ex hire. I'd pass on 37k, with a DPF and that mileage on a car not more than a year old, I wouldn't take the risk. Afterall, that could mainly be town driven, combined with the limited mileage you mentioned you'd use it for on the previous page?

Done a few little checks against the 1.6 and I'm pretty sure that it is 1.6 Ecoboost 150 ps model so should be a wicked drive :)

• Like 1

Done a few little checks against the 1.6 and I'm pretty sure that it is 1.6 Ecoboost 150 ps model so should be a wicked drive :)

+1. The advert has the bhp under the performance tab as 150.

Best color too ;)