Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare Wheel/tyre

AmiZaKi
聽Share

Hi all,

I am a new member of this site. And this is my first post.. I recently bought my first car which is Ford Focus Zetec 06 model. As you understand I am new driver, I have very little knowledge about car maintenance. Anyway, after buying the car I have done a full service from ford dealer for peace of mind. Everything was ok... Just two note...1. Spare wheel & tyre missing and 2. advise for new ht leads. At that time I haven't done those as they asked almost 拢400 and I checked at Halfords those things available at lower price.

Today, I went to local Halfords for those things but they told me they don't sell these.......馃槙

So, can you guys tell me should I buy spare wheel ? Spare Tyre ? Universal Spare Tyre ? And fro. Where ??? I am really confused... My tyre size 205/55/R16 91V.

And, where can I get exact ht leads and is it possible to change the leads myself ?? I see. Video at youtube.... Looks ok... What you say guys ???

Thanks in advanced for your expert reply...馃槂

Hi AmiZaKi...

I recently bought my first Focus - 2010 Econetic diesel estate - and it didn't come with a spare wheel at all, but just a little electric air compressor and a bottle of gunk that supposedly seals small punctures, and I think this is now the norm.

I'd never rely on that sort of thing though, so wanted an actual wheel and tyre as a spare to keep under the boot floor. I just went to a local scrapyard, so that's what I'd recommend to you - find nearby junkyards and ask them if they are breaking a Focus like yours, and if so ask for a wheel to match what you've already got.

Shouldn't be more than about 拢50 depending how good the tyre on it is, a MASSIVE amount less than a new one from a Ford dealer (I'd guess most of the 拢400 you were quoted was for the wheel/tyre)!

For replacement HT leads you'll need brand new ones, so just look online for car parts retailers and search for the part you need eg eBay has loads for a range of prices - Halfords are far too general a shop to stock this sort of specific product so you won't finds that sort of thing in there. They're basically just leads and plugs to the spark plugs so you can do them yourself, very carefully making sure that you put them in the right order (ie replace one at a time so you know for sure what lead goes to what plug etc!) That said, a dealer would have the parts and fit them for not too much, as part of a normal service I'd have thought so if in any doubt I'd pop back and ask for a quote just to supply and fit the HT leads for you.

Hope that helps!

Thanks boss.... Another silly question... What should i buy ? Spare wheel or spare tyre or even universal spare tyre. What is the difference between these ?? Which is the better choice ??

No worries at all!

When people refer to a "spare wheel" - ie which you keep under the floor in the boot in case you get a puncture out on the road - this always means a wheel with a tyre on it which is fully pumped up, ie it's all there ready to just put on your car in place of the wheel with the punctured tyre as a complete unit.

That make sense? Basically you can't just have the wheel alone or just the tyre alone - the point of a "spare wheel" is that it's the whole thing ie a wheel with a pumped up tyre on it so it's ready to use immediately - if you get a puncture you just take the entire wheel (with its tyre) off the car in one go and swap it for the spare and you drive off again.

Yes, you could get a universal spare wheel - it's basically a spare wheel that fits loads of different cars, ie it's not made by Ford and it would fit the Focus and loads of other makes and models - the AA and the RAC have been using them I see. It would probably be a lot lighter than a regular Ford Focus wheel, but probably lots more expensive to buy than a scrapyard one - you'll have to get some prices and weigh things up! If you get one, just make sure that it definitely does fit your car's exact year/model.

That help/make sense? D

Thanks David... Yea.. That make sense 馃槃 you really cleared my confusion.

One thing, as this spare wheel/tyre only for emergency why not buy cheap tyre which fit my car. I checked and found Sunny SN880 205/55 R16 91V for 拢30 at mytyres.com which is exactly my current tyres size 205/55 R16 91V. Will it be ok, if i choose this ?? Thanks again boss...

Sunny SN880 205/55 R16,, this is just a tyre and not the wheel as well, as mentioned by David you will need to put that tyre on either a steel rim or an alloy.
As its a spare it would be cheaper to put it on a steel rim wheel.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheels-finder

• Like 1

Ok.... Btw, what about space saver spare wheel ? Is it comes with tyre ? I found a at eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MK2-2004-12-SPACE-SAVER-SPARE-WHEEL-5-STUD-NEW-1S71MH-06262-/131396621467?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AFocus%7CCars+Year%3A2005%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+II%7CCars+Type%3A1.6&hash=item1e97d9549b

My current tyres 205/55/R16 91V.....I found space saver spare wheels are different... Though 16 inch... Is it competiable with my car ???

Yes, all you need is a space saver wheel and tyre, which is what your car will have had from the factory but some twerp has removed it.

Just go to your local breakers yard and ask them for a space saver wheel and tyre for a 2006 focus, probably cost you 拢20-30 maybe less.

• Like 1

One more question, my current tyres are 205 55 16 91V, but I found space saver wheel 125 85 16. Isn't different size or space saver wheel comes different size ? Will this work for my car ??

If it is designed for the focus it will be fine. I will have a look at my space saver tomorrow and let you know the size, mine still has the original. One thing to note though, if you have a space saver fitted, you have to restrict your speed as they are designed to get you to a tyre place, not to be on the car long. As they are narrow and therefore space saving, the grip is compromised compared to normal wheels.

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

• Like 1

125 85 R16 is the size of the space saver. It will be fine, as I mentioned earlier, it is only a temporary measure to get to a tyre place.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club