Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Drain

Alicoul

Hi have a 2012 fiesta and was told needed a new battery before Xmas as it started to go the shops then died in asda carpark.still under warranty so took to ford-i refused to accept it needed another new battery and took it in again after Xmas as since going in garage the battery light was remaining on even though car was starting but light didn't go off even on 1hr journey.when I took it on they said it was loose wire on alternator-that's why light came on 15 seconds after starting car and the car was racing as if pressing accelerator.

Ford created this problem because wasn't doing it before I took it in as they don't know what's draining my battery.

Took to Halfords yesterday and told me to drive it for an hour and go back-charged fine but then lost power straight away as if something was left on.

How can I find out what it is as I do not think I should be buying a 3rd battery on a 2012 car-it's rubbish-believe they are fobbing me off until my warranty runs out in March!

battery drains are a nightmare to trace... could be anything from a iffy switch for the light in the glovebox, to water leaking into the rear light cluster, causing it to short.

There's a decent guide here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/how-to-stop-car-battery-drains

Stop-Start systems on modern cars apparently cause extra strain, and manufacturer's have also (I've heard) started fitting "intelligent" alternators to their cars, that aren't actually all that intelligent as they need to be forced into charging the battery, so don't always fully charge it.

• Like 1

Thanks jduck1979 for reply.

I've learnt about so called smart chargers they fit now and apparently I'm lucky(unlucky) enough to have one!!

Had a look on the website you recommended and think I will just go back to the garage and insist they check it out as i don't know what I'm doing and will probably ruin the car forever if I start pulling fuses etc!

• 5 weeks later...

Did you sort out this issue? I have a similar problem but Ford say I'm the only driver of a 62 plate to have this issue.

You need one of these. A current fuse tester available on eBay. Just remove each fuse and plug in and see the current drain.

• Like 1

You need one of these. A current fuse tester available on ebay. Just remove each fuse and plug in and see the current drain.

There is a bit more to it than that.. Bear with me I will find you a really good video that will explain how to do it ..

• Like 1

Thanks for the help but shouldn't Ford be doing this? The car is still under warranty and is the second I've had with this problem. I'll pass on the advice to the mechanics..............they are trying very hard to sort this problem but as a customer I'm losing patience. Really sad as as I love Ford and don't really know where to go from here...................

• Like 1

Thanks for the help but shouldn't Ford be doing this? The car is still under warranty and is the second I've had with this problem. I'll pass on the advice to the mechanics..............they are trying very hard to sort this problem but as a customer I'm losing patience. Really sad as as I love Ford and don't really know where to go from here...................

Yes of course Ford should sort it ! But I thought you were looking at how to cure the problem yourself ? If you lived near me I would sort it within an hour tops.. If by some remote chance it that you have left something switched on then it wont be a warranty claim .

The chances are you have a faulty switch somewhere which is not fully closing down and it is a warranty. But with the aid of a multi meter you can present Ford with exactly where the fault lies.

Point taken Charlie. The garage still has the offending vehicle but when I get it back I will experiment.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club