Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk. 7-The first 6 Months

ramonford

Already much has been recorded about the Mk.7 and I am in agreement with most, perhaps with reservations.

However, since Ford have outwardly claimed that this is to be truly a "World Car" from a market point of view then I should like to offer the following general comments after 6 months ownership.

1. How can any manufacture not offer the option of being able to accommodate a Sat. Nav system integrated within the dash is I consider a most serious omission? Even if they offer space to fit an after market product it would have gone some way.

2. The Central display, for radio and other vehicle read outs is red on red, and quite difficult to read quickly. This is in complete contrast to the excellent displays for the speedo/rev counter which are among the best

3. The central display, in front of the driver has the same red on red problem and in addition there is too much information in a very small screen area.

4. The small, but useful drop down box on the driver’s right side is most difficult to open, even after 6 months I still have not mastered it first time. This area is a master piece of under design.

5. The vehicle handbook is without doubt one of the worst I have ever read. Inaccuracies, omissions and insufficient details abound through out the document. This item calls for an immediate rewrite. Even the totally wrong radio handbook was supplied.

6. The electric windows (all round) can only operate with the ignition on. There is no timeout facility, so often the ignition has to be switched on again to close the back, or other windows.

This could easily be a no cost factory change if only someone would think of the customer.

7. I am not even going to comment on the way the back seats (don’t) fold down.

8. The 2 foot well lights do not have any protective covers over them. The result of this is, that it is all too easy to get burnt as these lamps are very hot, as my wife will confirm after burning herself when searching though shopping on the floor.

9. The Titanium comes with 2 full remote keys and you can not purchase another from the factory at the time of order. However for any other model you can for £50.

10. The Titanium runs on 195/45 rubber, and as most people don't buy this vehicle as a hot hatch, there's the Zetec S for them, the result is an unnecessary harder ride than other models in the range supplied with 195/60 or 50's. 45 profiles are an unnecessary high cost replacement item.

11. There is no locking for the petrol flap. This leaves the vehicle open to damage.

12. There is no way to open the hatch should the battery go flat. Access can be gained by dropping the rear seat squabs, but this is not a satisfactory entry point for large luggage.

Well after all that you may well ask why on earth did he buy the car. Quite right.

So first let me say that I was not aware of all these, some very minor, points until later on.

Even if I had I would still have purchased. Why !!!

BECAUSE OF THE VERY CONSIDERABLE DISCOUNT I OBTAINED.

That’s the sole reason that made the car viable for me.

I my opinion it still represents the best value for money, but not at any where the list price being asked.

ramonford

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ramonford

• RIIIDAA

• irononreverse

• Bashful

So with the exception of the discount there is NOTHING about this car that you are happy or, dare I say it, delighted about then?

Re: point number 4, what is this small drop down box? *goes off in search of it*

Shame you've found so many inadequacies in your Fiesta. In my opinion most of them are very minor and none you've mentioned have bothered me. But it's personal opinion and you are very much entitled to it :) Do you think you'll sell up or persevere?

Re point No.9: "The Titanium comes with 2 full remote keys and you can not purchase another from the factory at the time of order. However for any other model you can for £50."

Why would anyone need more than 2 full remote keys for their motor?

Flic - the small drop down box is down about knee level on the right hand side, it is kinda tricky to open, without feeling like you're going to break it, lol, least mine feels that way.

I'm not sure if the Zetec S has this? you can let us know if you found it on your motor!

With regard to point 3, I find the red displays very clear and easy to read. Much better than conventional green and black LCD displays.

The trip computer only has 3 lines of basic info on it. After 6 months of ownership, how can this be too complicated!?

Ooh, I do have the drop down box! :D it's easy to open, just push the clippy thing in...? Bit flimsy when open though it has to be said. I don't think I have anything that could possibly fit in it though.. What is it for?? Lol nice to make a new discovery! Any other hidden cubbies I should know about?!

So with the exception of the discount there is NOTHING about this car that you are happy or, dare I say it, delighted about then?

The object of my posting was to draw attention to some of what I consider to be errors/deficiencies in the car.

Weather I like the car or not was irrelevant when writing.

But since you ask - yes, overall I am very pleased with it and think for what I paid it represents one of the best market buys available today.

I do however consider that the current list pricing of all the Fiesta range to be grossly over priced for what you get. These cars will be hit with massive 3rd year depreciation which has to be considered at the time of initial purchase.

ramonford

With regard to point 3, I find the red displays very clear and easy to read. Much better than conventional green and black LCD displays.

The trip computer only has 3 lines of basic info on it. After 6 months of ownership, how can this be too complicated!?

I agree; I fail to see what the problem is on this one.

I do have some sympathy with point 5 because the handbook does lack a certain amount of information and it's a bit cheap and cheerful when you consider the overall price of the car.

As for the other points, maybe Ramonford was having a hyper critical day when that was written............. :rolleyes:

Re: point number 4, what is this small drop down box? *goes off in search of it*

Shame you've found so many inadequacies in your Fiesta. In my opinion most of them are very minor and none you've mentioned have bothered me. But it's personal opinion and you are very much entitled to it :) Do you think you'll sell up or persevere?

I shall keep the car for at least 3 years and see what the overall reliability has been like. All the time it is under warranty I have no worries, but after then !!!!!

ramonford

Re point No.9: "The Titanium comes with 2 full remote keys and you can not purchase another from the factory at the time of order. However for any other model you can for £50."

Why would anyone need more than 2 full remote keys for their motor?

I do, because there are more than 2 members in my family who need to have independent access to the car.

ramonford

I don't find it complicated at all, as I fully understand all the information displayed. What I do find is that there is too much information compressed into a small area.

ramonford

I agree; I fail to see what the problem is on this one.

I do have some sympathy with point 5 because the handbook does lack a certain amount of information and it's a bit cheap and cheerful when you consider the overall price of the car.

As for the other points, maybe Ramonford was having a hyper critical day when that was written............. :rolleyes:

My posting was meant to relay only my thoughts of ownership after the first 6 months.

Hyper critical day - well that's subjective but it has drawn attention to the facts and caused people to become aware of things as they are. Criticism is or can be constructive as well as destructive.

It would be useful if members were to comment on individual points that I have attempted to draw to their attention.

ramonford

Hyper critical day - well that's subjective but it has drawn attention to the facts and caused people to become aware of things as they are. Criticism is or can be constructive as well as destructive.

It would be useful if members were to comment on individual points that I have attempted to draw to their attention.

ramonford

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about your post and that's mine--I think you are being over critical about points which most other people feel are irrelevant to their enjoyment of the car.

1, Isnt the base of the centre console designed to hold a third party sat nav?,theres a mention of this in my booklet.

10. Perhaps you could offer us some examples of the "high cost" tyres,Ive just done a quick comparison and I cant find more than a fiver or so difference ,

Just out of interest ,which similar segment car would meet all your needs and wants?

dave

Ive owned my MK7 for 9 months and down to personal option of course but none of the issues you mention are issues to me.

I LOVE the MK7. Its not perfect but then its a Fiesta priced between 11-15k, you want more, pay more.

I have to say I love my car, I'm not really interested in all the negative things you have to say, can't you find one thing good with it?

Perhaps you could list the good points of the car since we have all bought a mk7, and none of us are complaining.

12. There is no way to open the hatch should the battery go flat. Access can be gained by dropping the rear seat squabs, but this is not a satisfactory entry point for large luggage.

I'm not sure I understand this one. I don't have to press the button on my remote in order to open the boot. It just needs the car unlocked in order to open.

point 8, valid but treat the Mrs to some LED's

point 12, charge it then? Or do you mean the fob battery??

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about your post and that's mine--I think you are being over critical about points which most other people feel are irrelevant to their enjoyment of the car.

Thank you for posting, your reply was most interesting

Public feed back is a most useful tool which is used by manufacturers when updating an existing model. Just wait and see what happens when the Mk7/2 comes on the market, probably about 2 years from now, and you see what I am referring to.

Any how your comments are taken in the spirit in which they were written and are replied to in like manner.

ramonford

For the footwell lights, you might want to consider replacing them with LEDs, as was mentioned earlier as these don't burn like the conventional bulbs.

I do lament the lack of built in satnav. It would save me so much hassle affixing the darn tomtom to the window.

The cubby box is pretty easy to open on mine, you just have to make sure you've pulled the "lever" as far as it can go and it pops open. On mine, anyway.

As for the information panel behind the wheel, do you have the 2 line or 3 line display? As the 2 line was introduced in the later models for this very reason.

I find the orange on red text very easy to read. I suppose they chose the red/amber display because it doesn't affect your night vision as much as green or blue. It is a pretty large and bright screen.

My main niggle is the MP3 CD skipping, I shall have to call my dealer about it. The controls for the lights are slightly awkwardly placed as well...

I'm not sure I understand this one. I don't have to press the button on my remote in order to open the boot. It just needs the car unlocked in order to open.

Quite right, but in oder to do this the cars' battery needs to be charged in oder to allow you to operate the electric boot release button.

ramonford

point 8, valid but treat the Mrs to some LED's

point 12, charge it then? Or do you mean the fob battery??

No LED's - once bitten twice shy, why don't FMC fit a cover?

I am referring to the car battery, as you can unlock the car with a non-remote type of fob which does not have a battery. Charging the battery to open the boot is not always a viable option.

ramonford

For the footwell lights, you might want to consider replacing them with LEDs, as was mentioned earlier as these don't burn like the conventional bulbs.

I do lament the lack of built in satnav. It would save me so much hassle affixing the darn TomTom to the window.

The cubby box is pretty easy to open on mine, you just have to make sure you've pulled the "lever" as far as it can go and it pops open. On mine, anyway.

As for the information panel behind the wheel, do you have the 2 line or 3 line display? As the 2 line was introduced in the later models for this very reason.

I find the orange on red text very easy to read. I suppose they chose the red/amber display because it doesn't affect your night vision as much as green or blue. It is a pretty large and bright screen.

My main niggle is the MP3 CD skipping, I shall have to call my dealer about it. The controls for the lights are slightly awkwardly placed as well...

Your comment about the information panel is interesting and addresses the point I am trying to make.

The first release of a new car is never the final version during it's life cycle. Customer reaction together with dealer feed back do bring about improvements.

Many people are quite naturally overjoyed with their new vehicle and can't relate to any negative comments even if the end result may result in improvements.

ramonford

I have to say I love my car, I'm not really interested in all the negative things you have to say, can't you find one thing good with it?

Perhaps you could list the good points of the car since we have all bought a mk7, and none of us are complaining.

Good point you are making.

I would like to start a new thread called "Fiesta Mk7- The best features" and list the reasons why you consider it to be so.

ramonford

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club