Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drinking Petrol In The Winter?

Paramanic

Hey guys i know cars drop mpg in winter my last car got in summer was 33mpg and in winter 28mpg
this car (1.0 Ecoboost 125ps) i usually get 42mpg but since the temp has dropped to 0 degrees Celsius
ive been getting roughly 35ish or less (depends where i have to go or what ) its now and ice on roads now and my driving style has to change so i dont slide and crash so that could possibly be it but just asking around if anyone has the same?

• Like 1

Yeah it's similar for me, average was around 37 in the summer and I've been seeing around 33 ish in winter.

hows the roads down there seems the gritters up here have slept in or something was strange in the rainy weather over xmas etc they were out everyday even tho the temp never went under 3 really and now the temp has came right down there no where in sight.................but a think its maybe the driving way lol gonna have to calm down a might get winter tyres thinking about it atm....but for petrol wise luckily petrol has came down lol

im getting 30mpg, doesn't help that mine isn't an ecoboost like. But still yeah you do get a lower mpg in the winter something to do with the structure and density of fuel when its cold

yeah that and also running heating longer taking longer to get to optimum temp etc too has a part but wondering if eveyone in same boat

I have a new TX 125 just under a month old I have reset the mpg gauge a couple of times so far I'm getting on average 44.5 mpg at the moment about the same as I did in my last ecoboost about this time of year 55% cold starts

My MPG reading on my 1.6 Petrol is currently sitting around 33-34 MPG. I wouldn't mind so much were it not for the fact that I know that reading is false; it is actually more like 30 MPG when I fill up and do the calculation... But yeah, given the use of heating in the car, sitting idling while you scrape windows and stuff like that, I suppose that all gradually eats away at the economy without us consciously realising it.

And as for gritters, I haven't seen any grit at all since winter started here. Not even last night; the dual carriageways local to me and other main roads were just as they were!

• Like 1

Yep! I get around 55 - 58 mpg in Summer and it drops to 47mpg-ish in Winter.

:)

Best mpg I've ever had was summer time 280 miles journey to north Wales. Car loaded with 3 people Inc myself boot full. 65.9 travelling at speeds between 70 -80 mph I filled up before I went .filled up again when I got there cost me £ 26.00 this was when petrol was £1.32 litre. It beat my previous 16 diesel by miles on the same journey. These sure are brilliant little engines. I even took a picture couldn't stop laughing when I filled up!post-45084-142125613703_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

In summer I did a 420mile journey from my my town (in Scotland) to blackpool and a few towns in between on and still had a quarter tank left! But atm it's drinking more than a scotsman in a whisky drinking contest

• Like 1

We are quite lucky down here at the moment on the Essex coast we haven't had the weather you've had. Only a few sharp frosts the temperature here hasn't dropped very often to below freezing. Probably why we are getting a lot more mpg!

• Like 1

Yeah it's similar for me, average was around 37 in the summer and I've been seeing around 33 ish in winter.

32.2 mpg when filled up today :(

Trip computer said 35.7, and average speed was only 26. I did very little driving around Christmas though, that was the first time I filled up since 20th December.

My MPG reading on my 1.6 Petrol is currently sitting around 33-34 MPG. I wouldn't mind so much were it not for the fact that I know that reading is false; it is actually more like 30 MPG when I fill up and do the calculation... But yeah, given the use of heating in the car, sitting idling while you scrape windows and stuff like that, I suppose that all gradually eats away at the economy without us consciously realising it.

And as for gritters, I haven't seen any grit at all since winter started here. Not even last night; the dual carriageways local to me and other main roads were just as they were!

Mine is around 27 m.p.g in my 1.6 checking on p.c and not tried summer yet,

only local 14 m.p.h average on car read out.

m.p.g on car read out and computer on a re-fill is about 3 to 5 m.p.g out.

• Like 1

I'm still getting around 45 MPG for my journey to work.

It could be higher but I spend the whole journey changing down gears as I'm either stuck behind buses on hills, cyclists on hills or if life hates me that day both! :D

Best mpg I've ever had was summer time 280 miles journey to north Wales. Car loaded with 3 people Inc myself boot full. 65.9 travelling at speeds between 70 -80 mph I filled up before I went .filled up again when I got there cost me £ 26.00 this was when petrol was £1.32 litre. It beat my previous 16 diesel by miles on the same journey. These sure are brilliant little engines. I even took a picture couldn't stop laughing when I filled up!attachicon.gif1421256134312.jpg

If you hadn't had taken a picture I wouldn't have believed you, that's brilliant. Best I've got is 51 on a long run.

Hopefully my new ecoboost with the 125ps will do the same this year. The last journey was with the 100ps version. I always take it easy when the car is new for the first 1000 or so miles. Always have with a new car. My aunt had a brand new focus she was racing up the motorway at speeds of 90 + the very day she got it. she then complained she was getting very low mpg . I know they say new cars are already run in but I will stick to what I do. The evidence is here!

All sounds bad, but at least the car goes faster when it's a lot colder. nice crisp cold air.

Yeah agreed but would be great to get a engine heater lol

• Like 1

All sounds bad, but at least the car goes faster when it's a lot colder. nice crisp cold air.

I was thinking this too, and wouldn't this lead to higher fuel efficiency as well once the engine is up to temperature? But I guess there are too many other variables, I remember someone mentioned the air being denser for one thing (i.e. there is more drag).

my average mpg has gone through the floor the past 2 weeks, but as Matt says car feels a lot better to drive, turbos love the cold air!

I was thinking this too, and wouldn't this lead to higher fuel efficiency as well once the engine is up to temperature? But I guess there are too many other variables, I remember someone mentioned the air being denser for one thing (i.e. there is more drag).

yeah mate they do go back to normal once optimum tempature but problem is my journeys are too short atm for this to happen lol thats why i was thinking of putting my oil heater under the engine in the morning lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club