Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watchdog

matt1981

Did anyone see this tonight?

They drove a mk7.5 ZS as far as it would go on a full tank by driving very economically. Ended up going 588 miles. Considering fords quoted fuel consumption should have meant 607 miles, that isn't far off at all given the test conditions ford would use.

The only part that spoilt it was they stripped the car of literally everything inside to save weight first.

I didn't watch it as I can't bear that woman tbh, but it does sound good it can go that far on one tank, what was the reason they were testing it in the first place?

It was simply a money saving episode, e.g. drive so boring and frugal that you save money. They just happened to use a fiesta as its so popular

Would of been much more practical for them to do it without stripping as you said. But was a good watch and thought it did pretty well even stripped out

They stripped it & said every 50kg of weight saved, would equal a 2% saving in fuel consumption.

So what you saying is that I equal to about 4% of my fuel consumption, mmmmhhh time to hit the gym :wacko:

• Like 3

I saw some of it, missed the start though but it was interesting to watch. I assume it was the Ecoboost 125 as they kept mentioning petrol?

Did they explain what that MPG gadget attached to the dashboard was? I'm guessing it gives a more accurate reading than the trip computer. Also isn't it illegal to continue to drive when you know you'll run out of fuel, or is that only on motorways?

I have a Mk7 Zetec (obviously different) full tank only gets me 270-290 miles :( must have made big improvements with the newer models

Seen this myself last night. 588 is pretty amazing but how far past the red was that guage? Eeek.

Cant feel a lot of folk out there might buy a fiesta on the back of that only to be slightly disappointed.

I'd be interested to know how many miles he did after the trip computer showed 0 miles left, they didn't say did they?

I have a Mk7 Zetec (obviously different) full tank only gets me 270-290 miles :( must have made big improvements with the newer models

I manage on average 400 miles per tank on my Mk 7.5 ZS which I'm pretty happy with :)

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Did anyone see this tonight?

They drove a mk7.5 ZS as far as it would go on a full tank by driving very economically. Ended up going 588 miles. Considering fords quoted fuel consumption should have meant 607 miles, that isn't far off at all given the test conditions ford would use.

The only part that spoilt it was they stripped the car of literally everything inside to save weight first.

I've just watched it on catch up and noticed he didn't do it in one go without stopping so I'd guess he'd of gone a bit further than 588 if he had,agreed it ruined it by stripping everything out of it :/

Yeah cause im sure it doesnt say in the brochure fuel consumption at 56mph is 64mpg then in small print. If you strip everything out and go on a diet.

Hmm.. (puts pie down) best I've managed is 541 miles before I chickened out.

I bet the car manufacturers use this method and a waif like super model to get their fuel consumption figures :lol:

• Like 1

My average fuel consumption in town is about 600km per tank = 350 miles per tank, on the open road I get about 700km = 412 miles per tank, I have the pre-facelift Mk7 1.6.

I am sure if I really drove like an old lady I would get better fuel consuption, but 700km per tank isn't to bad I think for a 3 year old 1.6l engine.

PS. forgot too add the 4% I add too the fuel consumption :blink:

I was looking at getting a new mini cooper before i ordered my Zs red edition. In the mini brochure it actually stated that mpg figures were quoted under the assumption that the car had a full tank and a 65kg driver. Fine if you are a pro cyclist but not if you are a lard !Removed! like me.😞

I was looking at getting a new mini cooper before i ordered my Zs red edition. In the mini brochure it actually stated that mpg figures were quoted under the assumption that the car had a full tank and a 65kg driver. Fine if you are a pro cyclist but not if you are a lard !Removed! like me.

Well I'm 100kg mate so I've gotta be happy with getting 400 miles per tank in my Mk 7.5 ZS Ecoboost

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

The thing is in a car that weighs over a ton, the odd 30 or 40 kg extra isn't going to make much difference.

The thing is in a car that weighs over a ton, the odd 30 or 40 kg extra isn't going to make much difference.

I don't know about 30-40 but the avg person waying about 70-80+ does make a difference, you can feel it once you start loading up a car, especially a car that ways just over a ton with a smallish engine.

The day after I purchased my car I drove 500km with 4 people and their baggage and allthough I was very impressed with the fuel economy at 7l/100km I wasn't getting close to what I would normally on the open road, then again 4x 80+ guys and luggage at say 50kg does add +/- almost 400kg to a car, thats almost 1/3 of the weight of the vehicle.

I manage on average 400 miles per tank on my Mk 7.5 ZS which I'm pretty happy with :)

Yeah I get around 350-400 a tank even in this weather, can't complain! Should be better in the summer too :)

I was looking at getting a new mini cooper before i ordered my Zs red edition. In the mini brochure it actually stated that mpg figures were quoted under the assumption that the car had a full tank and a 65kg driver. Fine if you are a pro cyclist but not if you are a lard !Removed! like me.

Oddly enough I test drove the new mini and saw that statement in their technical data. I was quite impressed however on a 12 mile test drive it only got 35mpg and it wasn't a particularly wise consideration especially for the wallet. Similarlly What car's real world mpg suggests the new mini is a worse performer than the fiesta and its a 1.5!! In short it was impractical and the steering wasn't to the standard of the fiesta's.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/mini-cooper-long-term-review/1327301

To my point, I am 65kg exactly however as many others have said your personal weight isn't all that relevant in the grand scale (it only varies the fuel consumption from 2 to 4 %. I would add though if you have a fully loaded car of passengers this can add between 260kg to 400kg on top of the cars weight (excluding your own) which is a very noticeable difference in braking performance and fuel consumption. Seeing this though does make me question carrying about things like my full size spare wheel (lifted it out the other day and it is pretty heavy). I also removed one of my alloys a few months ago and they are easily 15Kg each if not more.

Not only will the 65mpg quoted by ford be with a lightweight driver but i would bet the test car didn't have A/C, leather seats, heated seats, alloys or probably even a parcel shelf! All worth considering getting left at home though so you can have faster and cheaper fun!

It's definitely a good idea not to have excess weight in the car. If you drive big milages like me a 2-4% difference in mpg can have a big impact on fuel costs over the term of owning the car. I even did a spreadsheet to work out how much fuel would cost me over the 5 years i will own the car. Small differences can save literally hundreds of pounds. I test drove a cooper d over 50 odd miles and couldn't get more than 55mpg out of it. Seeing as it would cost me £3k more than a Zs red to buy the mini worked out more expensive in the long term. Even accounting for depreciation. And the Fiesta was better to drive. Win win.

Not only will the 65mpg quoted by ford be with a lightweight driver but i would bet the test car didn't have A/C, leather seats, heated seats, alloys or probably even a parcel shelf! All worth considering getting left at home though so you can have faster and cheaper fun!

If that's the figure they get from a rolling road I'd think the weight won't affect it. If you have a Fiesta and a Mondeo with the exact same engine I wouldn't be surprised if they quote the same MPG figures for them.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club