Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Amazon-Can't Get My Head Around Them At Times

Turvey

Needing a new USB flash drive I went to my favourite on-line store and found a Kingston 32 GB for just under a tenner. As you may well know free P+P only kicks in above goods worth £10 or over. And as postage was going to cost £3.50 odd I hunted around and found an 8 GB stick for £3.44! Free memory stick :)

Anyway, just got an e-mail from amazon telling me they've posted (with free P+P) the 8 gig stick immediately and will send the other one when it becomes available!

:rolleyes:

I order from amazon now and then but was totally confused the other day when I wanted to order a couple of USB leads and couldn't check-out....eventually worked out these items were classed as 'add-on items' and the total was less than a tenner etc I couldn't find an option where I could just pay some postage instead :rolleyes:

Tried adding another item but it wasn't direct from amazon so that didn't help either.

Gave up and went to eBay instead.

Yeah amazon can be a bit confusing at times. I order so much stuff from them though, so I've paid for Prime two years in a row now.

I got a free 30 day Prime trial offer and used it before Christmas. Impressed with the free and fast delivery but struggled to find anything we wanted to watch on TV with it.

TBH for all we order it's not worth the 70 odd quid per year though.

I got a free 30 day Prime trial offer and used it before Christmas. Impressed with the free and fast delivery but struggled to find anything we wanted to watch on TV with it.

TBH for all we order it's not worth the 70 odd quid per year though.

Yeah there's not that much on the streaming that I want to watch either. Except when I decided to re-watch all 8 seasons of 24 :)

Yer i got the free month offer too,, the wife mentioned the Prime TV and asked if we should take a look, my answer was find something we dont have or have not seen, so that was the end of that.

I use Play.com for Flash drives and memory cards etc,,, same prices but free postage,, but i do like amazon for the reviews of products, these are user reviews and you can find out a hell of a lot on there when looking at a product but your not sure whether to buy it.

Yes the reviews are great. When you see something that's got 5 stars or just under and hundreds of reviews, you know it's the one to buy.

Well I'm beginning to think my 'Free' USB wasn't such the bargain after all!

The day it arrived I plugged it into the computer and transferred a couple of films etc to it to test it on the TV. The next day Mrs Turvey went onto the computer to check the bank account etc and within a few minutes it became obvious something was amiss. Weird messages coming up and very slow. At around the same time (apparently) I got a couple of texts telling me to text back a number to make a payment for over £2000! Yeah right!

Anyway Mrs T had to go down to the bank to get things sorted and has had a phonecall back from the security dept of the bank confirming that our account had been hacked, or at least the attempt had been made.

So I've spent the last two days trying to clean up the computer of viruses and malware. I 'think' I'm getting there now but it's been a right royal pain in the Arris!!!!

I'm not 100% sure it was the USB stick but I can't think of anything else out of the ordinary I've done recently that could have introduced the virus/malware ie no downloading of torrents etc

Lesson of the day? Scan EVERYTHING you plug into your computer! :)

Was that "free" USB stick sold by amazon and did it come in the correct packaging? Unless it looked like it had been tampered with I doubt it could have any kind of malware on it. It could be a coincidence. I usually format any new USB sticks, hard drives etc when I first connect them so that should get rid of anything that shouldn't be on there (including useless software they sometimes include).

Yes Phil, it was sold by amazon and packaging etc looked brand new/undamaged etc I did in fact format it before use but after drivers etc were automatically downloaded. With hindsight it was probably just a coincidence it all happened around the same time. I'll need to check on my wife's browsing history to see what dodgy sites she was visiting before she went to the banks site! :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club