Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Engagement Ring Prices/places?

Paramanic

Engagement ring prices/places?

post-50202-142168106435_thumb.jpg

Right people planning asking the big question this year I have a idea but want to know what you all paid and where's a good place to go to?

Been told average about ma area is 1-2.5k and some people have said don't go to local jewellers because they rip you off but most sites are in America like James allen, blue Nile etc so what you all think where price etc

All the help is needed thanks lol

On the basis she says yes - congratulations, if she says no, dont worry, you will get through this :p

I must admit we didnt follow the usual "1.5 months salary on a ring" and my missus didnt complain lol! to be honest, there is no real disadvantage going to a local jeweler over a big brand, the profit they make will be determined in the price. At the end of the day you should look at the style and stone, and find something close to it :)

This is coming from someone who is single, so my advice may not be worth much, but just bear in mind if it is too expensive, she is probably going to be too scared to ever wear it.

I don't think I'd ever spend more than about £500 on one....

Also I assume there is no chance she will see this PUBLIC forum?

On the basis she says yes - congratulations, if she says no, dont worry, you will get through this :P

I must admit we didnt follow the usual "1.5 months salary on a ring" and my missus didnt complain lol! to be honest, there is no real disadvantage going to a local jeweler over a big brand, the profit they make will be determined in the price. At the end of the day you should look at the style and stone, and find something close to it :)

lol! she will lol yeah gonna compare n see what best offer i can get for the one i want lol well places i can get it from lol

This is coming from someone who is single, so my advice may not be worth much, but just bear in mind if it is too expensive, she is probably going to be too scared to ever wear it.

I don't think I'd ever spend more than about £500 on one....

Also I assume there is no chance she will see this PUBLIC forum?

she would probs wear it when shes off work to be honest (probs get it insured lol) but a see what you mean bud n naw ye kidding! lol shes sick of this forum lol (im on it all the time lol) this isnt even the last place on the list she would look at fact this isnt even on her list lol

Haha, my wife's like that too! But do you know the style she wants? My wife picked her own lol

My wife choose her own lol.....was £25, nearly 15 years ago. Our wedding rings were £30 the pair, we were poor then lol

We have just replaced them but was still only £150 for the lot.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter about price, if she truly loves you. She won't care on the price, or that it's bigger and better than someone else's.

• Like 3

There's a chap in Dubai who offers good deals to ex-pats and Sailors (a lot of RN/RFA traffic through the Gulf). You also only pay for the material, not the prestige attached to it.

I got a necklace a few years ago - 22ct white gold, about 0.75ct of diamonds - think the chain was 18ct and the pendant 22...but still...cost about £450. Had it valued in the UK for insurance - was expecting it to be £5-600 (had been told £1200 by the salesman...)

£1700.

EDIT: I just realised that this is of little to no help to you...it's been a looooonnnnnnggggg day lol

Good dit though lol

Congratulations on your potential, probable, possible definite engagement - Invites in the post, yeah? ;-)

My wife choose her own lol.....was £25, nearly 15 years ago. Our wedding rings were £30 the pair, we were poor then lol

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter about price, if she truly loves you. She won't care on the price, or that it's bigger and better than someone else's.

What he says ;) :) :) :)

Couldn't agree more. Well said that man!

How much is an engagement ring? Mmmm

Well you need to work out how many years till you retire x your salary plus inflation plus all the debt you'll be in with mortgage bills and then kids who'll bless you drier than the wife

Yeh that's about it! I know I'm an old and you'll pay no attention to me and do what you want anyway.

Seriously though don't go overboard at the end of the day it's a symbol of your love and intentions save the extra money towards your wedding and house.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Money is by and by its lol about what you do and how you do it.

Haha, my wife's like that too! But do you know the style she wants? My wife picked her own lol

Aye she's hinted a bit spotted a few a like but here's the one

post-50202-14217060708_thumb.jpg

Same style as that but al hint some more lol

Agreed mate in ma family we don't really get married at all! They see it as a bit of paper and that's it but her family are totally different and a think it's her sister that said about prices to get in her head etc but 2bh a don't think she's too bothered about the price as long as it's no too cheap looking but al hint some more and been together 4years so suhn must be right lol

How much is an engagement ring? Mmmm

Well you need to work out how many years till you retire x your salary plus inflation plus all the debt you'll be in with mortgage bills and then kids who'll bless you drier than the wife

Yeh that's about it! I know I'm an old and you'll pay no attention to me and do what you want anyway.

Seriously though don't go overboard at the end of the day it's a symbol of your love and intentions save the extra money towards your wedding and house.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

A get what ye mean mate wains no hapnin for a long time but going to save for a house after Florida this year (after June) can recover money in about 6months after then so no so bad depends how much a pay but gonna lower budget as ye all say :)

• Like 1

hi,,, i got my good ladys ring while visiting my dad in south Africa,,,

Big high quality diamond rings for half the price. :)

But since then i have got her a few diamond rings, i use a local jewler near where i live and go see him and look on the trade sites with him (trade magazines before internet), i choose a few and he recomends which is the best quality and best value for my money and buys my final choice at trade, then makes it to my wifes size and puts his mark up on it, not much but enough to keep us both satisfied.

I have returned to him now about 4-5 times for rings and got other stuff like diamond Crosses and earings etc,, i have also got stuff from him for my 3 daughters birthdays and Christmas and special things like 18th, 21st etc, also quite a few valentines and xmas presents.

Were about the same age and this has gone on for decades now and its reflected in the price's,,, he's a great bloke and is retiring this year at 50, i shall miss him as i always pop in to see him when passing and talk about the motor racing and the Football, were both Leeds fans.

His son is taking over the shop but its going on line only now.

so my advice would be to seek out a reputable jewler and ask advice from them,, they will stear you right and good luck and congrats.

I just got engaged there on Xmas day there. I paid £1070 for my fiancés ring. Picked it myself. She loves it.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

Al keep a eye out for good jewellers n where from kpg?

Al keep a eye out for good jewellers n where from kpg?

I got the ring from a local jewellers here in Derry.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

Right al go looking and Am good at bartering so see what a can do lol Cheers guys if Anymore help well a need as much as possible and all opinions count!

• Like 1

personally i think your punching way ABOVE your weight. :rolleyes:

good luck m8.

been with my other half about 26 years now,and when we got engaged i gave her a ring that was left to me by my nan,3 sapphires and diamonds in 18ct,she loved it,i did about 10 years ago buy her another 1 with a matching eternity ring with stupid ammounts of diamonds in both.

i left the wedding ring totally as she aint got 1. :) got 3 kids though,started skint,still skint,end up skint. :rolleyes:

Shop around but don't spend a stupid amount. Leave yourself enough to use towards wedding rings and other wedding day expenses.

I've had a quote for two wedding rings, hers & mine, and it was £1014 for both. Hers is 18ct White gold with a cluster of diamonds.

You don't have to go mad on rings.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

I got my other half one for £50. A year later she lost it. Not a great financial loss! Wedding rings cost £60, 40 for mine, 20 for hers.

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

I would say get a cheap ring (<£10) to propose with, but leave the style decisions down to her for a proper one (make sure she knows the plan as you propose!)

She needs to be happy and comfortable with what is going to be on her finger so she is probably the best person to ask and choose.

I also wouldn't pay too much mind to the old 1/2 salary etc etc thing that seems to be brought up with engagement rings. I'm sure it is something constructed by the jewellery industry. As long as you are both happy with it, that is all that matters.

Glad I'm not the only cheapskate lol. I think I splashed out on the wifes engagement ring, bought her an amethyst one, about 80 quid, 2 years later they were selling for 120 now they sell about 160 so she's holding a valuable rock now lol

Cheap and cheerful is easy. If your like me and have no clue, ring size, style etc Buy one that looks good for now then let her pick her own and that way she will always be happy :-P anyway it's the act of signing your death warrant that she's thrilled about. (sorry, marriage certificate) my bad, its so hard to tell the difference these days

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club