Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frozen Drivers Door! Please Help!

jwc28

Hi everyone. In temperatures around freezing has anyone had they're drivers door bounce back /away from them and not latch? Real inconvenience. If temps rise or I mess around with grease for 5 minutes its normal again and latches!! I don't think its a massive repair, I think its something really simple. I've cleaned everything and re-greased. Works totally normal in normal temperatures. I'm loave to take it to ford as when mechanics start taking door cards off thy tend to be a bit rough as they have times to stick to etc. I'd love to hear of anyone with the same issue! Please has anyone any suggestions?

had this happen on another car before. you slam the door and it comes back at you. my old man gave me a lighter for the lock to be heated up slightly and this did the trick everytime I had the lock jamming I winter - the car....Ford Orion!

I had this exact problem yesterday.

Passenger door kept bouncing and not latching.

I just operated the internal lever a few times and it seemed to sort it out.

Thanks for the input folks, nexus thanks for the video but already siliconed my seals...this is more of a latch\ internal issue

Had this happen to me over Christmas - I poured a ketle of luke warm water over the outside handle to sort it out. I appreciate that you won't always have that available everywhere you go but it did the trick as a once off. Not happened since.

I've been having the same issue recently with my Focus :angry:

Yesterday I couldn't get my drivers door opened, I had to go in through my front passenger door and turn on the ignition. When I tried to close my passenger door it just bounced back open as if the latch wasn't catching. After about 10 or 15 minutes I managed to close the passenger door over. By this point my drivers door had de-frosted and I managed to open it but when trying to close it the same thing happened and it bounced back open. I sprayed WD40 on it which seemed to have done the trick but when trying to open it from the inside it wouldn't open and I had to stick my hand out the window and open from the outside. :wacko:

That was the first time I've had issues with the door not latching over but I've had issues before where I can't open from the inside.

This morning I had the same issues but couldn't be bothered waiting and just got in and out my car from the passenger door haha :D.

Weird thing is I've not had any issues with my back doors :blink:

maybe keep a small hammer and screwdriver handy if you need to release the lock - mind you the 5-0 might look at you a bit suspiciously.....

• Haha 1

Haha to sal. J4mie I think its fair to say Ur having the same issues as me. Apart from my pessenger door is fine, and the back doors ;).....I'd almost understand better if it was a door that never gets used. But the drivers door is the mostly used door in any car!! Is it the mk 2.5 you have? Or anyone else has who has the same issue? Warm water would almost certainly help but personally I would tell anyone thinking of using boiling water to not use boiling. At the same time I'm reluctant to use water as I think this could be the internal problem in the first place. I swapped spaces with my dad so I'm parking next to a wall and it was fine today! I shouldn't have to change my space, none of my last cars had this weird problem! Cheers folks

Haha to sal. J4mie I think its fair to say Ur having the same issues as me. Apart from my pessenger door is fine, and the back doors ;).....I'd almost understand better if it was a door that never gets used. But the drivers door is the mostly used door in any car!! Is it the mk 2.5 you have? Or anyone else has who has the same issue? Warm water would almost certainly help but personally I would tell anyone thinking of using boiling water to not use boiling. At the same time I'm reluctant to use water as I think this could be the internal problem in the first place. I swapped spaces with my dad so I'm parking next to a wall and it was fine today! I shouldn't have to change my space, none of my last cars had this weird problem! Cheers folks

I think there might be water inside the door or something, so once the better weather comes back in I'm going to open up the paneling and check it. My Fiesta never had this issue :wacko:. As far as I'm aware its a MK3 (See my profile pic). I've heard that you can damage your paint when using boiling water so I'm not going to try it :D. Ill maybe reverse my car into the drive tonight and see if it make a difference!

spray the key lock and the lock with wd40 add a bit of vaseline to the catch and it wont freeze despite rain and freezing temps mines never done it dont pour hot water down the handle its an easy way to crack the paint

Ah yeah urs is the mk 3. I replied to u earlier on my phone and the photo of ur car didn't come up. Nice of ford to fix the problem on the mk3 haha. I thought manufac spend millions on development so this sort of thing doesn't happen. I mean its a flippin'door latch, hardly a hard thing to get right. Not as if its -40 degrees Celsius. Thanks artscot

I reversed my car into the drive last night and this morning I could open my door fine but when I tried to open my door from the inside it was still jammed... I'm not sure if the issue is with the latch because surely if I can open from the inside then the outside also would not work? :lol:

spray the key lock and the lock with wd40 add a bit of vaseline to the catch and it wont freeze despite rain and freezing temps mines never done it dont pour hot water down the handle its an easy way to crack the paint

I will try this tomorrow and see how it goes! thanks :)

Hi I had this same problem the other day. Drivers door wouldn't open and had to give it a hard tug. Then wouldn't latch shut. After 5 minutes or so of fiddling with the latch it finally locked. Then was driving along and went round a corner and the passenger door opened without warning. Luckily was. Orpington there in the way to hit otherwise I'd have been severely screwed. Pulled over and closed it and then made sure I locked the doors to stop it happening again. Sprayed some wd40 on it and it seems to have worked so far. Now if the temp drops I keep the doors locked while I'm driving just in case.

LeeSheffield that's actually quite serious compared to me. I must admit once mine latches it latches and I've never had a door swung open mid-flight. That's shockin. Nice car by the way. Interesting how many folk have said "oh I have that problem too" since I started the thread. This is poor ford!

LeeSheffield that's actually quite serious compared to me. I must admit once mine latches it latches and I've never had a door swung open mid-flight. That's shockin. Nice car by the way. Interesting how many folk have said "oh I have that problem too" since I started the thread. This is poor ford!

Yea it was a scary moment. Thanks. I love it but having these small issues is annoying. Thought ford were supposed to be bulletproof lol. Compared to my previous yaris it's nowhere near as good. 7 years I had it with not one single issue but this is a much nicer car so I won't be changing any time soon.

I have a 2005 mk2 5 door 1.6 petrol Focus and the two front doors don't latch! I have to go round to the passenger door to close it from the outside most times as my gf can't close it, it's so annoying and yes it is quite cold but come on as said in another thread its a bloomin door!! surely Ford have checked? Anyway still getting around to WD40ing it and someone else on here said Vaseline so I'll give that a go.

I swear if my door opens mid drive I'll not be happy I'm hoping the back doors keep being ok as my children are in the back and that doesn't bear thinking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 2 weeks later...

The garage I bought the Focus from fixed another problem (faulty valves) although this isn't anything to do with this but I told them about this problem when I got it checked in and they ordered a latch from ford (so they say) but it has fixed my passenger door but my drivers door is still Doin the same! I can see trouble ahead with this car and O need it for my kids also my partner is pregnant and having the baby next week so I'm a bit worried it's going to break down or the door open whilst driving... Ahhhh

Sent

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem with my 2014 Focus. Solved it by running hot water from the tap over the lock. Went to book the car in for its first annual service today and mentioned this to the service Manager. He said it is a known fault, something to do with how the plastic reacts to temperature and Ford are investigating. He also said it was a problem with the first Focus models.

• 7 years later...

60 Reg Focus Titanium with keyless entry.

It got down to -5 deg C last night. Sure enough the locks froze. Eventually I got in the car and started it up.

Then I went to get out. HORROR!!!! I'm locked in!!!! I have previously got out the passenger side, but this morning it was also frozen. Played around for ages until I got out the passenger side, then it wouldn't close - started bouncing - unlatched. Eventually got it closed and locked.

This is poor from Ford, other countries are much colder than -5 C.

Where have people sprayed WD40, and where have you greased??? How much has it helped.

If this was a USA car, ther would surely be a recall for this.

17 minutes ago, Cambridge Rob said:

60 Reg Focus Titanium with keyless entry.

It got down to -5 deg C last night. Sure enough the locks froze. Eventually I got in the car and started it up.

Then I went to get out. HORROR!!!! I'm locked in!!!! I have previously got out the passenger side, but this morning it was also frozen. Played around for ages until I got out the passenger side, then it wouldn't close - started bouncing - unlatched. Eventually got it closed and locked.

This is poor from Ford, other countries are much colder than -5 C.

Where have people sprayed WD40, and where have you greased??? How much has it helped.

If this was a USA car, ther would surely be a recall for this.

See the video at the beginning of this thread. 

Incidentally I had the same issues in the Noddy car this morning but remembered to get in from the passenger side this time as I had the same issue regarding the door bouncing. Once it was started and defrosted everything was fine apart from my finger ends. 

*Note to self*

In future you dopey ***** 🤷‍♂️ do not park the Noddy car behind the Focus then you won't have these freezing cold finger ends after spending 10 mins scraping the damn windscreen and thawing out the INSIDE of the screen 🙈All you will have to do is press a button and wait 2 whole minutes and the Focus is defrosted 🙄

Wino and RMurphy: I watched the videos. Are you suggesting that spraying the door seals with WD40 keeps frozen moisture away from the lock/latch mechanism which is frozen up?

Tnx

• Like 1

Never had a door lock freeze, but if the seals keep the door shut when trying to open, just push round the door periphery to crack the ice "glue", then open it.....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club