Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what tools needed

rav

what tools would i need to replace discs, pads shoes and drums on focus 1.8 hatchback w reg...eg size of bleed nipples nut and bolts ect

for starters you will need a 7 mm alan key as they rarely come in a kit this would be used too remove the front calliper of the bracket

brake line spanners come with double sizes open ring spanner 8mm or 10mm ,then 9 mm or 11mm not sure on the correct size tho stab a guess at 8 mm for the drum and 10mm for the front calliper nnipple

a good socket set with variuos sized sockets want go a miss for the read drum iirc

steve

for starters you will need a 7 mm alan key as they rarely come in a kit this would be used too remove the front calliper of the bracket

brake line spanners come with double sizes open ring spanner 8mm or 10mm ,then 9 mm or 11mm not sure on the correct size tho stab a guess at 8 mm for the drum and 10mm for the front calliper nnipple

a good socket set with variuos sized sockets want go a miss for the read drum iirc

steve

By brake line spanners do you mean break pipe spanners for the bleed nipples? If so you don't need them unless your changing the wheel cylinder on the back or completly removing caliper on the front.

If all your doing is fitting new shoes and discs/pads you don't need to mess with the pipes. Saves alot of bother with bleeding them afterwards.

Just remove the 2 7mm allen key bolts holding the fron piston on and rest it on part of the suspension so not to damage the pipe. There are 2 18mm bolts holding the pad carrier on (these shuld be fairly tight). Once that's of the disk shuld come of with a few taps of a hammer.

The rear shoes are quite tricky to do if you've not done shoes before. I would suggest doing one side at a time so you can see how it goes together as there are a few parts to it. The drums will probably need a bit of "persuasion" to come off. I can't remember if you need to remove the nut in the middle first though. This will be either a 32 or 36mm.

There's no set way of replacing the shoes. Just whatever you find easiest. A godd set of pliers and mole grips helps me out.

By brake line spanners do you mean break pipe spanners for the bleed nipples? If so you don't need them unless your changing the wheel cylinder on the back or completly removing caliper on the front.

If all your doing is fitting new shoes and discs/pads you don't need to mess with the pipes. Saves alot of bother with bleeding them afterwards.

Just remove the 2 7mm allen key bolts holding the fron piston on and rest it on part of the suspension so not to damage the pipe. There are 2 18mm bolts holding the pad carrier on (these shuld be fairly tight). Once that's of the disk shuld come of with a few taps of a hammer.

The rear shoes are quite tricky to do if you've not done shoes before. I would suggest doing one side at a time so you can see how it goes together as there are a few parts to it. The drums will probably need a bit of "persuasion" to come off. I can't remember if you need to remove the nut in the middle first though. This will be either a 32 or 36mm.

There's no set way of replacing the shoes. Just whatever you find easiest. A godd set of pliers and mole grips helps me out.

agree with gaz really. the rear hub nut requires a 32mm socket and a good breaker bar as it will be tight. ideally it should be tightened up again using a torque wrench, to 235Nm.

you will also need brake cleaner and also brake paste.

if you plan on replacing the drums, i would replace the bearings at the same time to save the hassle in the future but this will require a hydraulic press or similar.

definetly only do one side at a time, might also help to take a picture of the setup once you have removed the drum.

just out of curiosity really, how do you know the rear shoes need replacing? these tend to last a very long time unless the are not setup correctly.

thanks everyone for your help, have done brake shoes before.but many moons ago, the reason i need to know spanner ,allen key sizes ,to have right tools handy cheers.

just out of curiosity really, how do you know the rear shoes need replacing? these tend to last a very long time unless the are not setup correctly. { i dont its more acase of if i need to replace them.}

If your handbrake's not working to well the may need replaced. More often though they should just need cleaned and adjusted.

Ive seen shoes last well over 100k. The only sure way of knowing is to take the drum of and have a look. If there's not much left on them then get them replaced

By brake line spanners do you mean break pipe spanners for the bleed nipples?

yes i did

This will be either a 32 or 36mm.

32mm irrc

sorry quotes