Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Relocating The Washer Jets

salsheikh

Guys

I'm a bit annoyed with the washers jets constantly leaking down the bonnet. I've fitted the one way valves and they haven't made much difference sadly.

I was thinking on maybe relocating the washers to the scuttle panel so that if they leaked then it would be an issue.

Any drawbacks to this plan???

or will it work....

Because of the steeper angle you'll find it much more tricky to adjust the jets to fall in the correct place on the screen and the airflow at different speeds will have more effect in deflecting the flow. I found this a particular problem on a white van-based motor caravan. Most white vans have quite snub noses so the jets have to be positioned immediately below the screen. It's almost impossible to get the adjustment right and then it changes depending on road speed.

• Like 1

I'd agree they will probably fire too high, though if you've got the fan type jets they seem to fire a bit lower and might just get away with it.

If you can trial it in some way before you go as far as hacking holes in your scuttle panel, or get hold of a spare then you can assess the general concept plus best location etc.

Yeah its a bit messy? Scuttle panel ones are always neater. But I can't see this working, i agree with the guy above. One this particular car they are placed in the correct place...apart from the fluid trickling down the bonnet....if u know what I mean

mmm, good observations but maybe I could use a spacer to adjust the angle. Arent the non fan types adjustable enough? They would have to be aimed around the middle of the screen I suppose.

is there a washer from another car that could do the job?

have you not got the mist jets? that would reduce the leaking?

The truck I drive at work has nozzles actually built into the wipers. Could you do something similar?

Problem with trying to space out the Ford jets is that they only really clip into place when they're flush to a flat surface - looked into that when I was trying to get the mist jets to clean the screen instead of the bonnet.

The Defender ones look like they would need to mate up against a curved panel edge rather than just screwed to a flat surface but there could be other alternatives out there.

my daughter has a vw.on that the nozzles are under the bonnet near the scuttle pannel,they acualy fit on the bonnet just under neath

and there heated .was thinking of trying that .

my daughter has a vw.on that the nozzles are under the bonnet near the scuttle pannel,they acualy fit on the bonnet just under neath

and there heated .was thinking of trying that .

Similar set-up on the Range Rover Evoque.

New Discovery Sport has them mounted on the scuttle panel itself, possibly as there's a pedestrian airbag where they'd otherwise mount on the bonnet.

mmm, good observations but maybe I could use a spacer to adjust the angle. Arent the non fan types adjustable enough? They would have to be aimed around the middle of the screen I suppose.

is there a washer from another car that could do the job?

No the mist jet ones are non adjustable, I have these on my mk2.5 and they don't leak

@ James and Jason - i had the mist ones but i didnt like them as i found the spray too low and they leaked on my car too

@ John - the vw ones look interesting and could be mounting on the underside of the bonnet using double sided sticky pads.

@ Kevin - the wiper mounted ones means there would be visible tubing and i'm not keen on that look.

i also found this jet which would mean better and easier fitting to the scuttle panel

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111574909410?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_1265wt_1199

2 versions of the vw jets i found:

i prefer this one for better mounting purposes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK5-2004-2009-WASHER-WINDSCREEN-JET-NOZZLE-SET-1T0955986-/151533078556?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item234813481c#ht_2035wt_965

2nd option:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-Windscreen-Washer-Jet-Nozzle-6E0-955-985-/400844108971?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d542bb4ab#ht_1340wt_979

@ James and Jason - i had the mist ones but i didnt like them as i found the spray too low and they leaked on my car too

@ John - the vw ones look interesting and could be mounting on the underside of the bonnet using double sided sticky pads.

@ Kevin - the wiper mounted ones means there would be visible tubing and i'm not keen on that look.

i also found this jet which would mean better and easier fitting to the scuttle panel

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111574909410?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_1265wt_1199

2 versions of the vw jets i found:

i prefer this one for better mounting purposes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK5-2004-2009-WASHER-WINDSCREEN-JET-NOZZLE-SET-1T0955986-/151533078556?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item234813481c#ht_2035wt_965

2nd option:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-Windscreen-Washer-Jet-Nozzle-6E0-955-985-/400844108971?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d542bb4ab#ht_1340wt_979

the second option ones are the ones she has.im still deciding wether to do it or not.to be honest water dribble doesnt bother me.its not the jets leaking its when your spraying some water doesnt go as far so ends up on the bonnet

Apparently, the fix for the low fire on the mist jets, is a small dollop of superglue at the base of the nozzle :) I would start with a dollop of bluetack though!

• Like 1

Apparently, the fix for the low fire on the mist jets, is a small dollop of superglue at the base of the nozzle :) I would start with a dollop of bluetack though!

i tried this and it didnt work for me so added a few drops over a few days and it didnt really work. gonna try the vw ones in my link....

sounds a plan! I must admit, my coverage is pretty good, I get about 80% of the screen these days when driving up to 50MPH

i tried this and it didnt work for me so added a few drops over a few days and it didnt really work. gonna try the vw ones in my link....

let us know how you get on

let us know how you get on

will do. I id a boo boo though. I purchased the item and then realised its coming from Hong Kong - upto 25 days for friggin delivery!

Try a small blob of Sugru at the bottom of each nozzle, it stopped dribbles on mine.

Got a hybrid superglue/putty set-up on mine at the moment ;)

The putty was a temporary trial which seems to have gone on longer than planned and seems to help widen the spray on that side. With the superglue i was expecting it to be fiddly to get right but with the gel version it was really easy to build up the amount needed.

Just need to do the same on the putty side now, got a pack of the Sugru as recommended but not had to use it so far.

what the hell is Sugru???

and i didnt know you could get Superglue in a gel version!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Update

The vw jets arrived and after some modifications they didnt work as well as id hoped as they dont fit under the bonnet well due to the contours underneath the bonnet and the spray doesnt go where we need it.

Maybe there are universal ones out there that may fit? Wife's 206 mist jets work a treat....on her 206!

Need to do something about my current jets as they cause a little bit of a mess...

One way valves HAVE been fitted

post-28472-142357161246_thumb.jpg

post-28472-142357162871_thumb.jpg