Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6Tdci Error Code P2290

NIK3103

Recently whilst going to work in the morning the car sudddenly stuttered and "Engine Malfunction" light came on.

I stopped and swithced car off and started car again, no problems whatsoever, however just to be on the safe side rang AA to come and have a look. The chap did an OBD reading and fault code P2290 came on however the car was driving fine.

It's been all ok for the past week however last night on my way home, the car had the same problem, however this time, I was overtaking a lorry and it felt as if the car lacked power at 70mph after stopping and starting the engine.

This morning everything was fine again. I contacted a garage who told me that it could be the fuel sensor regulator switch made by Bosch or it could be EGR, TURBO, FUEL PUMP and to drop the car off to have a look.

It seems that when I go above 3000 rpm on the motorway this problem seems to pop up.

I nearly got killed last night!!!!!

Anyone had anything similar problems?

1.6TDCI 110HP 59 Plate (service at ford garage according to service schedules, all maintenance done etc)

Thanks

if the car has got a ford service the fuel filter should be ok, in which cas i would have an injector leak of test done to ruel out any bad injectors first.

High pressure fueling issue, first check will be fuel filter even though it may have been serviced correctly, tank of crap fuel from a station can soon block a fuel filter up,

could be inlet metering valve issues not keeping fuel pressure within spec, fuel pump packing up.

lots to choose from,

Lets hope its just a filter change

• 8 months later...

Hi

i am having the same issue with my Focus, its a 2010 1.6 TDCI and it has happened twice yesterday and this morning when going rounds a left hand bend and then accelerating. the car stutters and then engine warning light comes on and i lose power.

i had the aa yesterday and he reset the car and everything was fine, i filled up with diesel and put in some redex to clean the injectors/engine.

however this morning is happened again on the same corner and now my car is in limp mode. did you ever find out what the source of the problem was.

Thanks

Tom Downing

@ NIK3103 - P 2290 indicates low fuel pressure - the cause of which could be fuel pump or clogged fuel filter or iffy injector(s) . . . or ? & as above start with the cheapest possible fix first ( new fuel filter )

@ Tom 792 - Redex will take several tankfuls to work ( if it does ) & shouldn't be seen as an instant fix

• 4 weeks later...

Recently whilst going to work in the morning the car sudddenly stuttered and "Engine Malfunction" light came on.

I stopped and swithced car off and started car again, no problems whatsoever, however just to be on the safe side rang AA to come and have a look. The chap did an OBD reading and fault code P2290 came on however the car was driving fine.

It's been all ok for the past week however last night on my way home, the car had the same problem, however this time, I was overtaking a lorry and it felt as if the car lacked power at 70mph after stopping and starting the engine.

This morning everything was fine again. I contacted a garage who told me that it could be the fuel sensor regulator switch made by bosch or it could be EGR, TURBO, FUEL PUMP and to drop the car off to have a look.

It seems that when I go above 3000 rpm on the motorway this problem seems to pop up.

I nearly got killed last night!!!!!

Anyone had anything similar problems?

1.6TDCI 110HP 59 Plate (service at ford garage according to service schedules, all maintenance done etc)

Thanks

Hi, today I had the same exact problem with the same car, Focus 2010 1.6 TDCI that you have, when overtaking a truck and it felt as if the car lacked power and the Engine Malfunction came on, till I pulled over and turn the engine off and on again.

I have the same fault code P2290 but till now the car runs with no problems.

Did you manage to found what make the problem ?

• 3 weeks later...

We had the same problem yesterday, trying to overtake and car just lost power and slowed to a stop, turned ignition off an back on and managed to get home but car in limp mode, nothing above 3000 RPM and couldn't get above 70 MPH.

Popped car into garage this morning but when turned iginition this morning it had come out of limp mode and appeared fine, glad I took it in as when garage road tested it the same issue happened again whilst trying to overtake so looked like it would be a recurrence.

Diagnostic came up with P2290 so first port of call is fuel filter, had this replaced and they are 90% sure this will solve the issue as once it was changed the error code disappeared and road test went fine. Going to thrash it after the rush hour to make sure all is well but that's best case scenario cost-wise.

11 plate 1.6 TDCi Sport

We had the same problem yesterday, trying to overtake and car just lost power and slowed to a stop, turned ignition off an back on and managed to get home but car in limp mode, nothing above 3000 RPM and couldn't get above 70 MPH.

Popped car into garage this morning but when turned iginition this morning it had come out of limp mode and appeared fine, glad I took it in as when garage road tested it the same issue happened again whilst trying to overtake so looked like it would be a recurrence.

Diagnostic came up with P2290 so first port of call is fuel filter, had this replaced and they are 90% sure this will solve the issue as once it was changed the error code disappeared and road test went fine. Going to thrash it after the rush hour to make sure all is well but that's best case scenario cost-wise.

11 plate 1.6 TDCi Sport

Mine has the same code P2290, I'm waiting the new filter that I ordered to arrive because mine already did it twice today driving normal without overtaking, since the last time it happened.

And hope that it solves the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've replaced the fuel filter on mine past Monday and I can tell it was the fuel filter making the problem, because since I replaced it solved the problem and the car stop going into "Limp Mode" or "Engine Malfunction" and till now its running fine and with no problems. :)

So guess the solution for this problem is the Fuel Filter change, not so cheap but it could be worse :D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to reopen an old thread but this has just happened to me too.

How often should a fuel filter be changed?

Mine happened when the engine was stone cold (winter time) - bad mood when leaving the house then floored it while the engine was still cold, don't know whether that would make a difference.

Engine off and back on and its fine - although I dont think I went above 3,000 rpm after that, so not sure whether the issue will show its face again!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club