Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Mot Failure Kept On Road

zeglover

Don't know if it is the right place but if a car fails its mot tomorrow and the owner cannot afford to get it fixed until the end of the month. Can she keep it on the road. It will be taxed insured and importantly not driven until it is tested again?

Just asking as if a police car passes it it will flag as not having a mot

The fact it has failed the MOT generally means it is not roadworthy.

If it is not roadworthy it cannot legally be used on the road.

Just because a car has a valid MOT doesn't make it roadworthy either.

I'm sure Clive can elaborate.

• Like 1

Doesnt matter if on road or being used I doubt, like car tax, cant leave car on side of road with no tax.

The car can be left parked on public roads without a valid MOT but must not be driven unless it is to take the car to a pre-booked test.

• Like 2

I believe you can drive the vehicle a "reasonable" distance from the MOT testing station after a fail, as long as the vehicle is being driven directly to the property. I believe this would be deemed say two or threww miles, as opposed to 20 or 30 miles! and is not used thereafter until being driven to a pre booked MOT as per Clives comment. Or at least, this is my understanding.

• Like 1

It can be driven to a place of repair or to an mot station for a pre booked mot.

Didn't think it would be allowed to keep it on the public road but that's handy to know.

Thanks for that she won't drive it but we get paid at the end of the month so will be fixed then

The operative word is pre-booked.

A vague wave of a hand in the direction of everywhere else when asked which garage doesn't quite cut it. :d

A phone call with a time slot booked and the garage taking the reg number would that be sufficient

yes that would be the car booked in so you will be fine with that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club