Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Signs Of Water In The Boot

Spookyjay

Hi all

I have a 2011 MK4.5 Titanium X Diesel, over the last few weeks i have noticed a small drip of water on the passenger side of the boot.

On first inspection i thought it may have been the known problem of the water gathering in the window, but its not. This appears to be coming from the holes from the plastric side panel at the top. you can get 2 or 3 fingers in there and this appears to be soaking wet.

There are 2 screws attaching the panel but i cant seem to remove it.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Many thankspost-62206-142201566441_thumb.jpgpost-62206-142201567854_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

hi jason

i have same model found water in boot and rear passenger footwell discovered rear washer feed pipe had split where it bends into nozle got a replacement fitted thought problem solved see my earlier posting, however heavy snowfall last few days after overnight thaw used car today noticed water back again read your post and it looks like water is at the same area of side panel have you had any luck finding where water is getting in

jim

Hi Jim

I put some silicone around the wiring grommet top left hand side of the hatch.

So far seems to have done the trick, but haven't had a good downpour yet.post-62206-142263730438_thumb.jpg

I'll try and pour some water over it at the weekend

hi jason

thanks for quick reply gromet does sit above where water seems to be coming in and mine is dry on the right side good shout mate will give it a go will need a few days decent weather for mine to dry out anyway good luck let me know how you get on

• 2 weeks later...

Washed the car at the weekend and no sign of any water leaks.

Looks like the silicon has done the job.

lifted up gromet siiconed base pressed it back in position and siliconed round edge gave it a couple days to set ran it through local hand car wash no water ingress its done the trick

• 6 years later...

I have discovered the same issue in my mk4 Mondeo Edge and couldn't work out where the water was coming from.

I have now traced back around the gromits around the wiring at the top of the boot lid and found that one of the cages is cracked/damaged, and the other end the gromit is not sealing against the car properly. Off to DIY shop shortly to get the materials I need to repair this and hopefully stop the interior water feature in the back of my car 🙂

Thanks for the posts on this topic. I have the same issue. 

Do you need to take the gromet out or can you leave in place and just silcone around it? If you do need to take them out, is there any tips on this?

Thanks