Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Cars Been Damaged

itsrelfy

Came back to my car last night to find the drivers door is dented and a little bit scratched with blue paint left on it.

I've stuck a pic on here. Does any one have an opinion on wether it may be repairable by the likes of chips away.

If it isn't I'll have to go through insurance.

I'm really annoyed. The car was pretty much perfect. No scratches. Not even many stone chips on the front.

Don't know why people can't just be honest.

post-14066-142202040424_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Tough luck buddy :/ Would need a better quality photo would help looking at that :)

it need spulled and painted and they will do the whole door so ide have it done by a bodyshop through the insurance chips away are a franchise most guys have 1 weeks training and in these temps the paint would bloom hence a bodyshop

From the look off that I'd say yes it will be smart repairable. A good dent company and a good smart repairer will sort that out no problem. Get dents done first then paint. Where are you from cause I know two companies that are good that could probably do the job for you if your in the Yorkshire area.

I'd do yourself a favour and either cough up the cash yourself or still with the dent until you can afford to cough it up yourself... As others have said, most insurance repair jobs are carried out by untrained chimpanzees and all they'll do is charge you the excess to fix it and put your insurance up next year... Better off taking the excess and using that towards getting it fine yourself!

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

Unfortunately I'm in kent so a few mile away.

I didn't really want to go through insurance cause as you day it wouldn't really be worthwhile.

I'll have to wait until payday then have a look into getting it sorted. Least I now know there is a chance of a smart repair.

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just a follow up to this.

Had a mate come round that does mobile repairs he said it will need to be a body shop repair in his opinion as the metal has been stretched around the impact bar.

He thinks to repair privately probably going to be a minimum of 400 quid. This would be to sort the dents and match in the respray on the door to the win and rear door.

So now I'm unsure what to do.

I've come up with a crazy idea of just seeing if I could find a good condition 2nd hand door.

I've found one it's off a zetec estate. Same colour. What I'm wondering is do you think all the bits off mine could be transferred to the door and then placed on my car

And would an estate door fit a hatch does anyone know.

Other than that I either need to try and save for the repair or go through insurance but I don't really want to go there.

Thanks

Adrian.

I would do a bit of homework on the donor cars colour code compared to yours as most colours on fords have about 5 or 6 shades and it could stand out a mile but it is a good option if you can get a good match all the parts will transfere over ok as I think the front doors are the same it's the rears on the estate that differ .

I would do a bit of homework on the donor cars colour code compared to yours as most colours on fords have about 5 or 6 shades and it could stand out a mile but it is a good option if you can get a good match all the parts will transfere over ok as I think the front doors are the same it's the rears on the estate that differ .

uu

£400 for a repair vs £250 excess and £50+ more premium for 5 years.... try some dummy quotes to see what extra they will want.

My parents car had some damage to it, £1000 to fix but since they've been driving for 30+ years it added a grand total of £20 a year to their insurance... totally worth the £200 excess and added premium.

If it had been my car, it would have been a different matter totally (£500 excess).

Yeah I'll probably just go through insurance.

Actually looked up my excess tonight. It's only 150 so that's got to be the way to go I guess.

Incidentally I think I may have found the gentleman who damaged it tonight. Was over my parents where I think the damage occurred and a gentleman down the road who has a blue jazz has two areas of damage on his rear corner bumper. Looks quite fresh and very similar distance apart to what's on my car.

Spoke to him and he denied it, first he said it happened months ago at asda. Then he said I could of hit his car!!!

So I bid him farewell and left.

Got a photo of his damage along with a tape measure to get the measurements.

Yeah I'll probably just go through insurance.

Actually looked up my excess tonight. It's only 150 so that's got to be the way to go I guess.

Incidentally I think I may have found the gentleman who damaged it tonight. Was over my parents where I think the damage occurred and a gentleman down the road who has a blue jazz has two areas of damage on his rear corner bumper. Looks quite fresh and very similar distance apart to what's on my car.

Spoke to him and he denied it, first he said it happened months ago at asda. Then he said I could of hit his car!!!

So I bid him farewell and left.

Got a photo of his damage along with a tape measure to get the measurements.

I'd be wary about what it'll do to your insurance next year.. I know you said excess is £150... And your friend said it's about £400 damage, so you're talking about spending an EXTRA £250.. So your insurance might go up next year or not down very much etc...

I don't know the potential problems/costs etcetc, just might be worth doing a bit of math to double check its an economical decision..

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

I'd steer clear of the insurance if i was you, it will only send your premiums in the wrong direction for the next 5 years. Take it on the chin, get a door from eBay or a breakers from a car with the same colour code as yours (£60-80 from a quick search), all the bits from your door will swap out into the new one. If you can do most of the work yourself or have a mate who can help, it will work out even cheaper than paying your excess.

• Like 1

My Focus had a smaller dent in just that area of the door. The paint was not broken, so no rust likely but it was annoying me.

As it happened, my car did not have a rubbing strip fitted I purchased a set of strips off eBay for £40 odd and fitted them so that they covered the worst of the dent. Now the door looks just perfect!

If your dent is larger how about a customised car with 2 rubbing strips or even wider strips from another model. It will be cheaper than a respray.

ScaniaPBman.

I wouldn't go through insurance either. Personally I would live with it till I got a door with the same colour code. Even getting a door a shade out and getting it painted would probably work out cheaper than what your insurance will cost in the long run.

Wouldn't cost that much to get a 2nd hand door painted and fitted.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club