Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wanting To Lower My Vehicle

jdsheff

Hey guys, as above.

The vehicle in question is a focus mk2 1.8tdci.

Iv seen on a ford website for 30mm lowering springs @ £127

Iv just phoned up ford in Sheffield and asked if they can quote me on fitting them.

They came back to me £285 +vat. This is without me mentioning rear camber bolts. I also asked the question of rear camber bolts and if they will fit them.

The chap over the phone said they shouldn't be needed? But also couldnt quote me as it might be a job in itself. Then £60 +vat for wheels to be lined up.

I asked them if the rear wheels was out of line, can they be adjusted? He replied yes... Can this be true without the separate purchase of these camber bolts.

Its put me off lowering the vehicle now. Didnt think it would be that expensive.

Iv googled it and looked on this site for answers but could do with some confirmation.

Any info or help on this one will be much appreciated.

Kind regards. Joe

• Like 1

I've known lots and lots of ST's to be lowered purely with the Eibach spring kits and no need for extra camber bolts.

The camber of the rear suspension can be adjusted with what's already on the car - the mounting bolts for the lower arms into the subframe have offset washers on either the nuts or bolt heads which allow this adjustment.

It also alters toe to a small degree as the whole rear hub moves on an arc due to the mounting point for the control blade to body but whenever I've had alignment checked after fitting springs etc it's always been adjustable enough to get everything green.

See photo below, the bolts are where the lower arms angle up into the subframe.

thesuspesionfile2011008.jpg

• Like 1

Troy45 your a star yet again!

My mate who has number of cars lowered said he's never needed to unless im going 40-50mm lowered.

Il be using these:- http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_eibach_spring_kit_18_and_20_duratec_and_diesel_f_1358918.htm which are standard ford lowering springs.

So your saying what I have standard should be ok to adjust if/when I decide to use the above springs? If thats the case I might just get the local garage to fit the springs and go somewhere else for the wheels to be lined up. Looks horrid on the rear end lol.

• Like 1

Yup you should be fine adjusting everything with what's already on the car - not even sure if Ford also fitted the lowering springs as a factory option? which would also back this up.

It makes sense to use your local garage to fit the springs then put a few hundred miles on the car to let the new springs settle in before you get the alignment done.

Rear end doesn't look great when it's all jacked up but it's a lot more user friendly for changing the springs/dampers/roll bar compared to the front end :)

• Like 1

My mk2 petrol is lowered, never needed camber bolts so far. Just had my wheels all aligned, guy said he was able to sort the camber without Eibach bolts. I lowered mine -40mm, looks amazing and probably the lowest I'd go.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

• Like 1

Brilliant news guys, thankyou for sharing your experiences.

Im sure someone mentioned the original shocks dont like going lower than 30-35mm? Not sure why? Maybe faster wear and tear? Kpg what springs you using?

Im not sure if I should go for the ford Eibach springs or go for something else. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Brilliant news guys, thankyou for sharing your experiences.

Im sure someone mentioned the original shocks dont like going lower than 30-35mm? Not sure why? Maybe faster wear and tear? Kpg what springs you using?

Im not sure if I should go for the ford eibach springs or go for something else. What do you guys think?

I'm using Apex -35 to -40 springs.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

• Like 1

I'm using Apex -35 to -40 springs.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

With you fitting these springs, you haven't had to do anything apart from alignment? No rear camber adjustments?

• Like 1

With you fitting these springs, you haven't had to do anything apart from alignment? No rear camber adjustments?

Nope, no rear camber adjustment. Had my car in the garage last weekend the guy said he was able to sort the camber slightly, for alignment, without needing new bolts.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

I've lowered mine 30mm woth Eibach springs sitting on new monreo reflex shocks all round, much better ride than old shocks think they were KYB make.

Had the wheels aligned all 4 wheels were out to the point one of the rears were being dragged lol. Think it was something like - 55.3 out

The bolts on the rear wishbones were adjusted, didn't think they could be adjusted. The whole car feels much better with it being all striaght.

Incidentally, after my wheels being aligned twice and new wishbones bushes on front and rear my car is still pulling to the right. Not sure if it's to do with lowering or not. It didn't happen when first had the springs installed though.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

Thankyou for all your input guys. Really appreciate it!

So which springs should I go for? Not only that, which springs/height will be best suited to stock shocks? Apex look nice but Eibach look stock. Bearing in mind il be keeping the standard 5 spoke 17's. Cant afford or justify the price of 18's STI wheels when I have a baby on the way.

Kind regards. Joe

• Like 1

I personally would go for Eibach lowering springs, lowers 30mm and with your 17's you shouldn't have to worry about arches rubbing. If you go lower then I think it might start effecting the arches and stock shocks.

• Like 1

I'll second the eibachs, lots and lots of happy Focus owners running them myself included.

I have Apex springs on mine. They lower 35 to 40mm. Very nice indeed. Firm but not crashy and they look great with 18"s.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

Brilliant guys, thankyou again for the feed back. Eibach springs it is then!

How much would a mechanic charge for labour? Just so iv got a small figure in my head.

• 3 months later...

£100 if that. 2 hours work.

I got a Ford Technician to do my Mondeo ST as a foreigner and that was £80. Got my Cmax done by a mate as a foreigner at another dealership for £70. £100 sounds fair if going through the books. People will always do foreigners though if you ask around. There are no comebacks with that option though.