Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 Fiesta Air Filter Help!

BamBam830

Hello, first post here, long story short, had my mk 6 fiesta 2 years now, not done much to it, it's a fiesta Freedom 1.25.

Just fitted ST/Zetec S Spoiler, tinted the windows and fitted 17'' KEI 10 alloys a while back. 29xfyfm.jpg

I won't be keeping the car for another 12 months I don't think, but I fancied a bit of noise, to refresh the car until then! Didn't fancy having an exhaust fitted or anything like that, I've bought a cone air filter, it was £12 off amazon, wouldn't normally touch anything so cheap, but all the reviews are 5 star saying it generates a lot of noise and hardly any difference between that and K&N filters.

Anywhoo. This is my engine bay. I am NO mechanic, nor do I know much about engines etc! As a job I used to install car audio, but when it comes to mechanics I'm hopeless I don't even know the right terminology! I removed the airbox, took out standard filter and refitted air box/engine cover and put the air filter where the intake on the right of the pic was. There wasn't any difference in noise what so ever, it sounded rubbish. If i fit the filter to the intake labelled '1' then it sounds brilliant, however there's then the breather hose I think its called? Do i need an intake hose with a part for the breather hose? I don't want to spend a lot, and hoses with those seem a lot.. It won't make any difference in performance on a 1.25. 1HP if that, i just want the sound of a bit of umph!

2eaq9vk.jpg

post-62427-0-94439600-1422570714_thumb.j

post-62427-0-20107700-1422570789_thumb.j

I used to have a 1.4 flame and all i done was take the hose going to the throttle body and cut it in half the put the filter on it. bit of a bodge job but it worked for me.

If you're buying "performance" filters than attach to your stock airbox then chances are it'll do nothing at all! (I've got a 1.4 mk6 fiesta).

You need to remove the stock airbox & attach the filter to the hose that Would have connected to the stock airbox. You should then run an air hose from somewhere it can get a cold air feed up to the filter. OR you could run the filter down to next to the ECU using some silicone tubing or similar (big silver flat thing near the battery).

As for the Crankcase breather. You Should really run a silicone tube from that to an oil catch, then to a small little air filter to vent the fumes. If you just run it straight to a filter you'll find small splatters of oil all over your engine bay!

If your Induction kit has a smaller intake on the backside of it you should connect the silicone tube to that instead, I would personally still got an oil catch ( http://oilcatchtank.bigcartel.com/product/rutland-motors-oil-catch-tank-black )

• Like 1

If you're buying "performance" filters than attach to your stock airbox then chances are it'll do nothing at all! (I've got a 1.4 mk6 fiesta).

You need to remove the stock airbox & attach the filter to the hose that Would have connected to the stock airbox. You should then run an air hose from somewhere it can get a cold air feed up to the filter. OR you could run the filter down to next to the ECU using some silicone tubing or similar (big silver flat thing near the battery).

As for the Crankcase breather. You Should really run a silicone tube from that to an oil catch, then to a small little air filter to vent the fumes. If you just run it straight to a filter you'll find small splatters of oil all over your engine bay!

If your Induction kit has a smaller intake on the backside of it you should connect the silicone tube to that instead, I would personally still got an oil catch ( http://oilcatchtank.bigcartel.com/product/rutland-motors-oil-catch-tank-black )

What about a breather filter for crank case? I've seen people put the standard hose that goes to throttle body going right n placing it straight to battery so might have a crack at that tomorrow. Im being a bit tight with me money on all this as i know it won't affect performance so ill do what i can! So if i fit the filter tomorrow n leave crank case hanging until a breather hose arrives it won't do any harm just a bit of oil spatter? Thanks
  • Like 1

What about a breather filter for crank case? I've seen people put the standard hose that goes to throttle body going right n placing it straight to battery so might have a crack at that tomorrow. Im being a bit tight with me money on all this as i know it won't affect performance so ill do what i can! So if i fit the filter tomorrow n leave crank case hanging until a breather hose arrives it won't do any harm just a bit of oil spatter? Thanks

You could just manipulate the original hose over towards the battery yeah :) but it's not quite long enough to position the filter lower behind the grill for more air flow but it's your call. Won't be much difference between behind the grill or higher up really

That's what I meant by a small filter :), a breather. Yeah, if you don't fit an oil catch then over time a thin film of oil will begin to build up over the engine bay! I don't blame you for wanting to keep costs down... Those oil catches are pretty expensive for what they are!

That's what I meant by a small filter :), a breather. Yeah, if you don't fit an oil catch then over time a thin film of oil will begin to build up over the engine bay! I don't blame you for wanting to keep costs down... Those oil catches are pretty expensive for what they are!

they are! So i should be okay just sticking a breather filter directly onto the breather hose? Would that do anything to prevent oil everywhere or just a waste of a few quid?

• Like 1

they are! So i should be okay just sticking a breather filter directly onto the breather hose? Would that do anything to prevent oil everywhere or just a waste of a few quid?

It'd stop crap being sucked back into the crankcase & it might stop some of the oil being spat out aswell. For a couple of quid I'd definitely buy a breather filter just to stop anything crawling or being sucked into the crankcase :)

Thanks pal. Peace of mind there.

:)

If you run the breather filter somewhere away from everything else then you shouldn't notice the oil as much! It should be next to nothing anyway!

:)

If you run the breather filter somewhere away from everything else then you shouldn't notice the oil as much! It should be next to nothing anyway!

10znwv6.jpg. Tell you what it sounds brilliant.

Cost me £13 for the air filter, got tons of 5 star reviews overall due to noise.. Not needed any other piping, took the original air intake from the bottom and joined it onto the engine intake near throttle body, sounds dodgy but its all solid no leaks, all tied up.

Breather filter was £6 off eBay.. May consider moving it, or longer hosing..

• Like 1

Looking good, you got any videos/other pictures of how it's mounted?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club