Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking Noise From Engine Compartment On Ford Fiesta Zetec 1Lt Ecoboost From Cold Start

jimmac1502

Looking for anyone with similar experiences with their Ford Fiesta Zetec 1lt ecoboost,

Upon starting after 30 seconds I experience a knocking noise from engine, once car has warmed up noise goes away, knocking noise is as loud as a cold diesel engining starting and is very noticeable when engine is idling, but goes when engine is rev'd up or driving but comes back when stopped at lights.

Been into dealer twice this week, first time the moved gear linkage cables, and it was gone, drove to shops and when came out it was back, so took it straight back to dealer, who went out on test drive to hear noise again, this ime he got me to pull over at side of road, lifted bonnet, but noise was only audible inside car , till he braced engine with his hands and noise stopped as engine vibration was reduced, and whilst touching air box on left, it stopped totally, all was fine to next day and noise is back, dropped car off last night, and when collected it today, they are trying to fob it off as an engine note noise and a chararistic of that engine, which I know as a croc of sh*t, and got the impression they haven't a clue, so fobbing me off, phoning ford tomorrow, but wanted to check if anyone had has similar probs, oh and engine only done 4900 miles in 22 months, any help or advice appreciated cheers jim

• 8 months later...

I have the same issue with my 1650 mile ecoboost 125ps C Max. There is a light knocking from the passenger side that increases with revs when cold. It goes away when the engine is hot . It could be the turbo bearings or perhaps piston slap. Has anyone come across this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Ive just come accross your post as ive been experiencing the same thing for the last 2 days. I have exactly the same car as yours. The knocking noise seems to go when the gas is applied but if im at the lights with the brake and clutch down it starts again and also when in neutral. Im taking my car in next week to see what they say. My brother in a sales man at the ford showroom i got mine from so im hoping he will get something done about it.

I will keep you updated. Also has your car stopped making the noise yet?

• Like 1

Hi All

Just to update you.

I first had a listen to friends engine and it is as noisy as mine. I then took the car into the Ford agents with a covering letter, asking them to listen to the noise and record the findings on the car's service record, as its only done 1800 miles.

They said that they all sound like this when cold.

I think you will find that it's because the cylinder head is allowed to warm up before the rest of the engine,so as to help fuel efficiency and emissions. This means we get valve gear clatter and piston slap until the whole engine reaches full operating temperature. Have it officially checked by all means, but I think you will find they are all the same when running from cold and sound like a barrel of bricks.

Rhiannon, and everyone else, eventually got the bottom of this, but changed the car due to hassle with dealership not taking ownership, it turns out noise is due to characteristics of the 3 cylinder engine, which when cold vibrates more when idling than when heated up. This in turn caused the coolant reservoir to vibrate against the bulkhead of the car, only found this out after going to another ford garage to let their tech guys check it out, and only after short test run when cold, and mechanic touching components in the engine bay, and touching coolent reservoir.

So the fix for this was to resecure/readjust the coolant reservoir bracket and pack high density foam between coolant reservoir and bulkhead to stop any vibrations and rattles.

Hope this helps any one else with similar problems

• Like 1

Yes the coolant reservoirs do rattle a bit, but that's not what I am talking about on my car, Mine is noisy valve gear and pistons clanging when cold, though I am told that sometimes cheap supermarket fuel can cause injector clatter on this engine. Honestly,I have heard Diesels that are quieter than my engine when it's cold.

Dog days, I had that noise till engine heated up also, and I only travelled 2-3 miles one way to work, so mines never got warmed up properly, the noise I was referring to was serious knocking as if someone is was banging the side of a bass drum with a spanner, and now I changed my fiesta to the 1.25 4 cylinder Zeneca from the ecoboost, the valve gear noise is nowhere to be heard, in fact whilst mines was getting some accident damage fixed, I had a 1 ltr ecoboost to drive around in, and god I didn't realise how clattering noisy that engine is, and as I also drive electric car even the 1.25 is loud too lol

• 1 year later...

Hey guys I found out what's making the noise. Its the AC/heater blender. Mine had 2 broken gears and made a knocking noise every time you turned on the car. 

• 1 year later...

Just bought a 1 litre Focus Titanium (500 miles) 2019, have most of the problems from above. As previous owners have done took it back to the dealers who kept it overnight ,and reported nothing unusual. The noise , slapping ,banging noise is still there, its worse first thing ,better on the return journey almost acceptable.

Talking to Ford customer relations site at minute, for the second time asking to speak to engineering department for their opinion, beginning to doubt my hearing and sanity.This is the Seventh new Ford car car including diesels I have bought in a row at three year intervals, I know what a new car shout sound like.Waiting for a reply not sure where I am going next.

• 1 year later...

Ford Fiesta Zetec petrol engine 

I have a similar but opposite problem. The car ticks over fine but once it’s in gear the engine is noisy and gets worse the faster I go.  I am worried that it may be the gearbox.  Any ideas or similar problems out there.