Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

New Wing Left Or Right?????

FocusMP3

Right now this might sound like a really stupid question so please be nice lol

I may be in the market to purchase a new near side front wing for my 53 plate focus, after having a look on euro car parts, they are selling them just detailed that they are left or right, which one do I need????? :P

post-59216-0-00733600-1422640482_thumb.j

So it's as you are sat in the car yourself and not stood looking at it from outside?

Cool thanks, since it looks like I am going to have to do the repairs myself after the insurance pay what pence they feel is sufficient :) :)

• Like 1

Its all to do with kerbs, N/S is Nearside (nearest side to the kerb) O/S is Offside (opposite side to the kerb).

Also have a look around eBay for a 2nd hand front N/S wing in your colour, will save you the expense of having to get it painted too.

Hi Ade, yes I do know my nearside from my offside, just wasn't sure on which perspective was used when referring to sides as left and right, I also know how to check my water, oil and tyre pressures too lol :P :D :P

• Like 1

Dent removal soon to be added to the skills portfolio . . . :rolleyes:

Indeed lol I will have a nosy on eBay too, hadn't actually thought of that, the insurance garage quoted £1300 to repair, completely ridiculous :angry:

Hi Ade, yes I do know my nearside from my offside, just wasn't sure on which perspective was used when referring to sides as left and right, I also know how to check my water, oil and tyre pressures too lol :P :D :P

Just trying to help - and glad to hear it.

£1300!?!?

A 'back street' bodyshop would do that for less than £150 with a far better result.

Agreed - £1300 is not even reasonable.

• Like 1

It was a BMW approved repairer, I have no idea why they have sent me there with my little old ford rust bucket lol

B.M.W. explains the cost !

• Like 1

For a dent on a wing, £1300 is truly shocking.

• Like 1

They wanted to put a new wing on then paint it, the door and do some work on the bumper to blend it all in, but a £1300 estimate has cause the uneconomical to repair issue, just waiting for the insurance to confirm this in writing and give me my options, the only problem is I now won't get a courtesy car while mine is being fixed if I just get a pay out.

All this mither and I wasn't at fault grrrrrrr

To put it into comparison Lynsey, I recently took my estate to an independent back street bodyshop to have 3 scrapes and two dents removed.

They ended up respraying 2x wings, 2x rear quarter panels, front bumper, bonnet and both rear doors + handles in order to properly blend.

Only cost me £399 and you'd never tell :D

• Like 1

I know, it's a shocker, even with a premium added for an insurance job.

Am I best off buying a wing and fitting it myself, then taking it to a body shop for the rest or should I just let them do the whole job? I have seen wings for £50.

I would try and source a wing in the same color and fit yourself. Would be far cheaper. MK1 body panels can be picked up quite cheaply.

Other option would be a try a scrap yard.

I used to frequent them and MK1's in this color were quite common so you could be in luck! Would save on postage costs too.

Push comes to shove, pick up a different coloured wing and have a body shop spray it. Shouldn't cost more than £100 :)

• Like 1

Will keep you posted on what I decide to do :) thanks for all the advice and suggestions :D

• Like 1

Im sure you have the right to elect your own repairer too, ive known people do this but cant remember the technical term insurers use for it!

The wings are bolt on, so you could have one painted first and then fit it at your leisure, that way you wont loose your car for a week either if you need it.

I think at the time of reporting the incident with them, I was given the option then, I had no idea that if left in their hands I would be sent to such a reduculous place, I did agree for them to select a garage :(

• Like 1

Keep us updated Lynsey . . . :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, right, quick update, my car is now categorised as an uneconomical repair section D, had to re-MOT, it wasn't due till August which is a bummer but it passed after a little work on the anti-roll bar which at least I now know the car is safe.

The payout from insurance company was surprising, it has paid for the MOT and work involved, hire car for a week and the £400 that I have been quoted for work to be done on both front wings and touch ups on the following, offside rear quarter, tail gate, rear bumper and some rusting on both sills, with a full polish.

The carpeting is a bit shabby inside so might have a search about for a quote to get that done as well, my girl is going to look tip top by the time I have finished, so excited :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club