Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Flush/oil Change.

jace1969

In over 35 years of owning both petrol & diesel powered Fords, I have always changed the oil & filter every 6k & have never had any related issues.

oil is the lifeblood of any engine & the relatively small costs involved far outweigh the potential expensive consequences of not changing oil & filter regularly.

The same logic applies to fuel filters on diesels - I changed mine yearly on my Mondeo ST TDCi & will do so on the TXS.

• Like 2

To be honest if I had any mechanical skills I'd probably change the oil myself, then there isn't the extra cost of having a garage do it. I should just learn to do it, can't be that hard.

It would be good if there were some actual statistics on frequency of oil change vs turbo failures and other problems. Maybe there is something like that hidden on the internet somewhere, you'd think the oil companies would be all over it if there was evidence to support frequent oil changes.

Statistics get clouded by opinions on these issues..

Like Mark above I have had many many Fords over the years . We have 3 here just now . Ranging from Transit vans to Rs Turbos an RS500 Sierra Cosworth and many others. I have never had an engine or turbo failure but have been religious when it comes to servicing. It was instilled in me by my old man who ran a fleet of Taxis many years ago. Keep the oil changed and it may repay you tenfold. Nuff said .

• Like 1

Of course I could take the lazy option (and expensive) of getting a new car before my warranty runs out, or getting an extended warranty :)

Ok just had it done,they use FUCHS oil or something like that name,i think he said.
A bit hacked off as dam oil everywhere,rang and gave them a good mouth full
Behind spark plugs all along the ridge and on 2 caps,all on top of cover and behind alternator,the smell,last time going there,been going years.
Took 5 rags to clear.

Edited by jace1969
Language

Wow sounds like they really don't care. I'll have to keep that in mind and check under the bonnet next time I have any work done involving oil, before driving off.

Edited for language.......lol.........sorry but i did use the red face symbol and stars but didn't mean to step out of line. :) :)

One of them days today,was a bit,well you know.

What i think it is they have been brought out by another firm,still trade under same name but invice

and stuff are a new name so i asked then about everything they done,oil make etc and new name.

Think looking back at them now they didn't seem to care as there mind didn't seem on the job.

Edited for language.......lol.........sorry but i did use the red face symbol and stars but didn't mean to step out of line. :) :)

One of them days today,was a bit,well you know.

What i think it is they have been brought out by another firm,still trade under same name but invice

and stuff are a new name so i asked then about everything they done,oil make etc and new name.

Think looking back at them now they didn't seem to care as there mind didn't seem on the job.

Your also used capital letters and exploited out swearing filter too it would appear :)

Just found out today that my brother-in- law's BMW 5 520 and 5 years year old with 77K miles on the clock has had his turbo replaced. He has been servicing it under their long life intervals, about 17k miles between services.

Anyway all clean again now,think i will write off this day and get out the other side of the bed tomorrow.

A place where i have spent 100's of pounds on tyres and oil changes over past years,it was

the in- between oil change place i went and ford for 12 months service.

Just found out today that my brother-in- law's BMW 5 520 and 5 years year old with 77K miles on the clock has had his turbo replaced. He has been servicing it under their long life intervals, about 17k miles between services.

I think it was Audi that started the "long life" service intervals. This was done as a marketing ploy to convince owners Audi cars required less servicing so were cheaper to run..

All manufacturers will have us believe cars only need oil changes every 12 ,000 miles and in some cases that's true. My wife has a wee 1.4 Fiesta automatic and it doesent have a turbo or any performance devices and it hardly gets revved .. Even so I still have the oil changed at 6.000 intervals.

On some cars yes of course 12K intervals should be just fine. On cars with inherent problems or common problems like oil supply issues then sticking to 12K intervals is ignoring the obvious and asking for trouble .

Ask 100 good mechanics if regular changes are a bad idea ?

• Like 1

I think it was Audi that started the "long life" service intervals. This was done as a marketing ploy to convince owners Audi cars required less servicing so were cheaper to run..

All manufacturers will have us believe cars only need oil changes every 12 ,000 miles and in some cases that's true. My wife has a wee 1.4 Fiesta automatic and it doesent have a turbo or any performance devices and it hardly gets revved .. Even so I still have the oil changed at 6.000 intervals.

On some cars yes of course 12K intervals should be just fine. On cars with inherent problems or common problems like oil supply issues then sticking to 12K intervals is ignoring the obvious and asking for trouble .

Ask 100 good mechanics if regular changes are a bad idea ?

Would you change mine every 12 months or 6 months,i do it every 6 months even if i only do 500 or so miles as

i do low miles,just oil and filter then gets done at ford on the 12 months service,some say im wasting money.

I am crazy about oil changes but 500 miles? Yep a waste of money. My mum does about 1000 miles a year, so it will be 3 years for a change. The engine will outlast the rest of the car even though it is garaged.

• Like 1

At least I had my early (ish) oil change at 5000 miles so it will have done about 11-12k when it's due for a service end of April. So I have plenty of time to learn how to change the oil myself before I do another 6k :)

See i don't do any miles,i have had car 4 months and was 20,092miles and now 21,501.

It don't get to running temp in a good week or more just 10mins trips there and back.

So a 12months change on service with ford is fine as some say stop and start (not on miles) kills the oil.

What oil do you guys use? I do a interim change every 6000 with my 1.6tdci and so far I have been using ford formula f.

I assume it's good enough as that what ford uses. But would you guys suggest anything else?

Or do you have an oil that you favour for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Firstly you should use the correct grade. But also bear in mind Low ash sometimes called low saps is very desirable as its the ash content that buggers DPFs..

This is what I buy . I buy it in bulk because we have 5 vehicles and doing the oil every 6000 makes more sense to buy it this way.

This oil not only meets but Exceeds Fords specifications.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXOL-FULLY-SYNTHETIC-ENGINE-OIL-LSM-LOW-SAPS-5W-30-20-LTR-/290407054766?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item439d9bfdae

Morrises C1 OR C2 grade low ash is another favorite but a little more expensive..

See i don't do any miles,i have had car 4 months and was 20,092miles and now 21,501.

It don't get to running temp in a good week or more just 10mins trips there and back.

So a 12months change on service with ford is fine as some say stop and start (not on miles) kills the oil.

Your use cycle demands frequent oil changes. There is condensation within an engine which normally gets sapped up as the engine reaches optimum temperature. Your short trips will mean more condensation which can emulsify . Look under your filler cap and you may see very light damp or in severe cases the milky substance that can build up.

In any case your service schedule will call for changes at 12,000 miles or annually whichever comes first.

Jace and Chatlie, I agree wit you both, 12 months is right if you so short journeys. In my mums case she drives about once a fortnight for about 20 miles to the shops and back, so less of a concern in terms of engine warm up.

On the quality of oil, i buy vw group 507.00 spec 5-30 C3 oil, which I put in the petrol fiesta. Its the best vw oil so I assume it must be good for the fiesta. Incidently, I do the fiesta every 10k miles instead of 12.5k miles. Easier to count given 5 cars in the family.

Some of the newer ford models have different grade and specs to the 5/30 norm, and change intervals on transit custom now 30k!! New mondeo 2.0tdci now up to 18k depending on driving syle and 0/30.

1.0 ecoboost 5/20

Not a case of chucking anything in anymore unfortunatly.

30k oil & filter change is borderline insanity i.m.o. - especially in a working vehicle like a Transit

• Like 2

I aggre , Castrol have changed the 5/30 magnatec specs for the transit 30k intervals, they still have 15k services but no oil change, all a bit strange . All transit owners are opting to have oil chaged at 15k extra . Dont blame them.

30k oil & filter change is borderline insanity i.m.o. - especially in a working vehicle like a Transit

We have a couple of the new Transit Customs on the business and the oil in those gets changed at 6K intervals regardless of what the book says..

My car a Toyota Rav4 Invincible requires the expensive 0W30 low ash. It says in the book though that we only really need to go down to 0 spec if we are in very low temperature climate and to use 5W30. The other gain is supposed to be in fuel economy. 0 grade being thinner allows less friction during start and warm up cycles. I think that's a load of old cobblers but I will still opt for the best 0W30 grade oil and it will get changed every 6K miles not the recommended 12.

wwwww002_zpse87eef22.jpg