Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Econimcal Are Kuga's On Fuel Diesel ?

sundance

Paul (RedFox) the instrument panel isnt that bad actually.

Alan, when I said never exceeded 60, I did actually mean prior to filling up and taking that picture. The picture is a bit deceiving as its not had enough miles from fill up to increase the distance to empty. I can travel on the A17 behind HGVs doing the 55mph and the average will approach 50mpg after 13 mile or so.

I'm an engineer too but not a Field engineer, hence the 30,000 in less than 18 months.My 530 miles a fill up are from a combined journey of a round trip of 142 mile from Yorkshire to Lincoln about 8 days a month to my headoffice. The journey uses the M1. A57, A1 and A17 so its 95% a mixture of anything between 60mph and 75 mph (72 mph real speed).

But if yours has improved so much as you describe that is pretty good.

Drove at 55 mph today on the way home form the Edinburgh office a total of 46 miles and it's typical 6 miles to and from the M8 and the rest on the motorway I was able to hit 52-54 but normally driving at 75 i only get about 42 - 44. The book for my kuga claims 47 combined but never even got close to this figure in the real world I will move the setting on the tune box tomorrow as I deliberately made it more

responsive as the lack of power was starting to annoy me. Especially when you try and pull away quickly and there is nothing.

I can only dream of 530 miles from a tank.

The last big journey I did was to install servers and desktops at a client's I. Essex and I loaded the car up and drove down from Glasgow. On the way back doing about 75 ish I averaged 33mpg and had to fill up halfway up the road. As it took a full tank and a half.

I'll try out a few other tests on longer journeys and see what I can get.

Is yours manual transmission Alan. Mine is. 163ps Titanium X.

I dont hang about when setting off and I dont drive on the red line all the time but this same regular journey I did in my Mondeo for over 28,000 before I got the Kuga and that returned 46mpg and the official figures for the Mondeo and the Kuga are exactly the same but the Kuga when I first got it would only return around 39mpg until the recall for the limphome mode problem that was around then it went up to around 42mpg.

I also do a trip to Redditch from Lincoln some 108 mile with the Kuga loaded with around 360Kg of electronics and the fuel consumption drops by less than 2 mpg, that journey is A17, A46 M69, M6 and M42 so its all motorway (ish) speeds

Hi Phil,

I had a problem that may car would go into limp mode and then randomly fix itself, but the Ford garage couldn't find a problem with it.

It hasn't done it for quite some time. Bug I get nothing like the figures

your getting

Yeah it's the 163ps titanium, manual AWD

Hi Phil is your kuga the awd version or the 2x4?

Yes AWD Alan.

Mine went in for an update for the limp-home mode update. For me it made all the difference to the MPG from 38/39 to the 42plus. Of course our 'combined' driving journeys will be different but my 42 mpg comes about as I travel on the motor way, as I can get on the motorway with mpg showing 37 ore so from local cold miles. My average mpg indication does seem to be accurate too.

Here's a shot of the instruments after a couple of trips to Lincoln yesterday and today plus a bit of local miles over last weekend.

post-62775-0-31515600-1432838172_thumb.j

Hi Phil,

I have done 39 miles today been staying local today. but averaged 34.9. I am going to adjust the box I installed, I know that I put it more towards performance. And I really do notice the power. But I'll put it back to half way see if it makes a difference. on the mpg's again. And I'll keep you posted.

I haven't had any updates that I know about . I know there is an airbag module to be replaced. But that's all I think

got 3600 on the clock, been told that engine wont settle in for an accurate mpg till about 10,000 so hopefully steady improvement till then

getting 38.6 average mpg atm on 180 awd auto, if i could hit 40 or over dont think i can complain

alan hope you can get the mpg up,as it does seem low, must be very quick for the mpgs to drop to 34.9 ?

Honestly I am not a slow driver but I don't drive silly either. Unplugged the remap box and my mpgs hit 32-33 on a drive to Ayrshire, changed the pin to setting 5 on the box and reconnected and just got 41 on my way back, not bad...

Let my mate drive it with it turned off and pulled to the side of the road and turned it on and set it to setting 5 out of a possible 10 and what a difference in performance, a lot more responsive and quicker acceleration. Make my kuga feel like it possibly about 180 bhp. Much better.

Otherwise it's full of flat spots and no uptake when you put the foot down to overtake.

I am sure the new 180 model will drive a lot better than the 163 ps version.

So wish I got an auto tho.

Anyway I'll keep an eye on it. The book for my kuga claims 47 combined. I have ver got anything over 40-41 since I purchased it. Now done 46242 Miles under its belt and its still just under 2 years old.

• Like 1

Was it full of flat spots before fitting the 'box'? I have the 140ps and achieved 49.3 mpg, so I'm happy with that (67 mile mixed)

But my average is around the 44mpg.

Yeah it's got tons of power and can pull just, seams to be flat when you disconnect the box and run great with it. ie a lot more power and a lot lot quicker, and the mpgs are a lot better on a trip a while back from london I only averaged 33-34 mpg while doing about 75 and perhaps give or take 10 mph. it was about a year ago so the car would have been about 8 months old.and used cruse control.

the manual only says 47 combined so when I was gett 38 ish I thought that to be about correct. that was the deciding factor to buy the box.

I am happy with the 40 's range just annoying that I have to buy an add on the get these figures.

oh forgot the to add this pic.

Pic was taken after I finished a 5 monute phone call so it had fell by .5 mpg's by the time I got off the phone.

post-63663-0-79880300-1432924002_thumb.j

Pic from the brochure for my the kuga Re the quoted mpg's usually no one gets anywhere near these in real life.

post-63663-0-80594000-1432928801_thumb.p

Yes well I argued long and hard with Ford technical and CEO office and also MotorCodes regards the false information in the brochure.

Starting from the words in your image above, 'the declared consumption etc', that statement says that the figures allow a comparison between vehicle types and from different manufacturers, so you could compare a Kuga to any car from any manufacturer that has published its mpg figures using the EC official test. So I should be able to compare my Old Mondeo which was a Euro 4 engine with my Kuga which is a Euro 5 and even more so that the official mpg figures for both cars are virtually identical and that the Kuga is slightly better. Both figures obtained using the official EC test. I asked why am I not achieving the real world figures of around 46mpg I got in my Mondeo in my Kuga. The excuses were an insult. They quoted different tyre size, Euro 4 V Euro 6, windage, driving style. I reminded them that all these parameters should be taken into consideration when being tested otherwise the statement of allowing a comparisons between different vehicles can not stand, and as far as driving style, I was driving then Kuga on the same journey as my Mondeo in exactly the same way. They still put it down to driving style. Motorcodes simply said to me that if Ford say that its driving style then it must be driving style and as far as the statment in the brochure allowing comparison, then that should be taken up with trading standards.

I think generally most owners are getting 40-42 mpg, but in this day and age there shouldnt be any vehicle that should be as far out as yours Alan.

Motor industry is a law unto themselves..

Thanks for the post, I must admit to a degree I would say it's my driving style . I know I am not slow and economical at the best of times.

But I was looking at getting a new mondeo in order to get better mpg thinking even if I can get mid 40's I'd be happy

And that's when I got the tune box must admit it has made a huge difference.

I'll keep an eye on it and I can post my results at the end of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a little update, I have managed to get approx 44 Mpg's on the normal driving but have now ordered my new car. and should get it this week or next at the latest. (due to me not updating my photo driving licence) I have a new Mondeo Hybrid Titanium With X pack on it's way. and I am giving the Kuga to the Mrs to use,

enjoy the new car

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got a 2014 2.0 X Sport power shift with 9000 miles and I can't get it to budge from 38.5 Ave MPG.

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the new Mondeo Hybrid Managed to get 69.9 round trip from Glasgow to Edinburgh massive difference from the Kuga.

• 3 months later...

Just a little update,

I removed the mod box and have been driving it like a saint for the past two months and managed to get it up to 50 around town and only 48 ish on the motorways

• 3 weeks later...

Hi hope im doing this right on here,i am thinking about getting the kuga in the 2.0 diesel 180 powershift auto,and want to know the true mpg from owners on here who drive mostly in urban town traffic,as that is what 99.9 percent of my driving will consist of,ford website says 46mpg in urban driving ,how close to this figure is this in actual real word urban driving from all you kuga drivers out there,thanks for any advice :D

If it's mostly town driving and the car isn't getting a good run it would be recommended to look at the 1.5 petrol ecoboost.

This has some serious power and the engine will suit your driving

• Like 2

Don't buy the Diesel, it'll most likely work out cheaper if you get the Petrol as Diesels drink fuel when being driven around town. They don't like it! Plus you might get DPF problems...

• Like 3

Thanks,I currently have an Vauxhall antara 2.2 diesel auto 163bhp and it only does about 22mpg in town,and the dpf light is coming on all the time,getting rid of it,think a petrol would be more suited for my driving purposes,thanks.

• Like 2