Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Laptop Experts Out There?

Brigante

Last night I forgot to turn my laptop off. The charger was turned off and the laptop screen was folded shut but the laptop itself must have still been on.

Today I go to use it and its completely deaded. Even with the charger plugged in there is now power.

All that happens is when I press the power button a little led flashes 3 times next to where the charger plugs in.

Can anyone advise on what is wrong and how to rectify it?

No expert, but....

Can you plug the charger back in and leave it for a short time before trying to turn the laptop on? Possibly the battery is so flat now it needs a bit of 'juice' before it will show any life.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon.

hi,,, unplug the charger,, remove the battery put your finger on the power button and push and hold down for about 30 seconds,,, this will reset the power managment chip aka the mosfet ic chip that controls the power state the laptops in,, sometimes it cant figure out what its suppose to be doing,, ie,, mains while charging, on battery or on mains fully charged so it will do nothing.

Once the power managment chip is reset put the battery back in ,, plug in to mains power and leave for about 1 min then press the power button.

good luck.

• Like 2

thanks for the replies

not long after posting the topic my laptop suddenly decided to start working of its own accord :blink:

when it powered on there was a warning message saying the battery had reached a critical level

but why it would charge for a day I really dunno

It probably dropped to low power hibernation mode so was still running but on just enough to keep the volatile memory active.

it obviously wouldn't wake up until it had enough power to save the memory cache.

That's a bit like what happened to my dad's old laptop when I tried to get it working after being left in a cupboard for ages with a broken hard drive. The battery was so flat that I think it took at least a couple of hours of charging before it showed more than 0% charge. At least it turned on though.

I suspect the issue is your battery mate, take the battery out, and the lead, plug In the mains lead, and you should have an indicator light on... If you do you should be able to turn the laptop on.

Now if that fails your probably looking at a burned out adapter, I bought a universal adapter from eBay recently from babs media, it was about 13 quid but had a power jack for just about every laptop :-D

I would also suggest removing the hard drive and turning it on,it should at least power on and say it fails to load which might narrow down if the issue is power or drive related

I do repairs for most these things :-D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club