Do Not Sell My Personal Information

National Speed Limit

JohnP

I havent heard of this before. Has anyone else?

Even if the national speed limit is lowered, people will still go over it!!

well i saw it on passion ford so it could just be a load of bo***cks BUT i thought if it is true some of you might wanna sign it.

I havent heard of this before. Has anyone else?

Even if the national speed limit is lowered, people will still go over it!!

That's what I thought.

I'm for it really. Anything which lowers the speed of some of the idiots on the roads is good.

And people will still drive over it like they do now!

I havent heard it before so doubt its true tbh

I'm for it really. Anything which lowers the speed of some of the idiots on the roads is good.

And people will still drive over it like they do now!

I havent heard it before so doubt its true tbh

the idiots will always go fast. this (if it is correct) will only slow down law abiding motorists and make congestion and journey times worse especially on A roads etc.

the idiots will always go fast. this (if it is correct) will only slow down law abiding motorists and make congestion and journey times worse especially on A roads etc.

to be fair itl make it worse if someone is doing 70 and some idiot is doing 80-90 and rear ends you, you wont suffer half as much damage as if you were going 50. plus most people speed anyway.

Blimey - I must be the only person on this forum that would like to see the national limit raised to 80mph!!! :ph34r:

Blimey - I must be the only person on this forum that would like to see the national limit raised to 80mph!!! :ph34r:

i second you. i also think that with better training the limit on motorways could be 90 or even 100mph. its just a lot of drivers don't learn how be safe at speed. they think they can just bomb along at 90 on a motorway without any observations or concentration.

• 3 months later...

first ive heard of it, not read anything about it, and im sure there would be something

There has also been talk of lowering the speed limit to 20mph in built up areas.

As a london resident i would welcome the speed INCREASE to 20mph :rolleyes:

Im a bike rider aswell as a car diver.

and i can honestly say that if they lower the natinol speed limit i will be selling the bike, this goverment has gone speed crazy when this clearly isnt the fault.

take the autobarn for isntance...no speed limit yet they have fewer insidances there in a limitlass carrageway compared to our limited?

soon theyll have trackers on our cars/bikes.

i second you. i also think that with better training the limit on motorways could be 90 or even 100mph. its just a lot of drivers don't learn how be safe at speed. they think they can just bomb along at 90 on a motorway without any observations or concentration.

90 and 100 seems a bit much ......

It's an old expired petition. If you look, there's a response from the government.

They have no plans to lower the national speed limit.

It's an old expired petition. If you look, there's a response from the government.

They have no plans to lower the national speed limit.

I think that’s bit of a ‘tactical response’ as the suggestion is not really about National speed limits but covers roads A classified and below, motorways and dual carriage-ways would stay at their current 70 mph 'National' limit.

Current thinking is many rural road accidents could be prevented by dropping the limit to 50mph as well as reducing carbon emissions. personally I think it would be largely unworkable without mass installation of speed cameras - which would be a vote loser for any party.

I’m not sure if it has or will be put before parliament but hopefully it would be talked out –just keep your fingers crossed until the end of the year. :unsure:

I agree with your nightowl!

Thats a bit harsh.

nope i'm with you most ppl travel at 100 now on motorways

Hasn't the motorway limit already reached 50MPH for the most part? Looking at the M6, M1 and M62 near me this new trend of everyone sitting in the outside lane and never moving accross (unless they have to speed up the hard shoulder to avoid queues) ensures that there is never enough clear road to maintain 70MPH for more than a mile or so. Add into the mix the lorries that now seem increasingly to ignore the fact that the outside lane is out of bounds and what you have is a situation where 50MPH is looking like an improvement in speed rather than a reduction.

What is needed is a hard line from the police about lane hogs who will sit at 50MPH in the outside lane with the other 2 mostly clear simply because there might be a truck 10 miles ahead overtaking at 51MPH it is complete insanity these people are not fit to drive and should be removed from the roads.

As for the poll looks like one of the governments diversion tactics when some bad news is due that didn't get picked up by the media as much as they hoped.

QUOTE (Nightowl @ Jul 27 2009, 11:07 PM) *

Blimey - I must be the only person on this forum that would like to see the national limit raised to 80mph!!! ph34r.gif

I agree with your nightowl!

I agree too - I think the Motorway would be safer if the limit was 80 mph, particularly as most people seem to exceed the 70mph limit already in place. Driving along on the motorway does not feel very fast when you are going in a straight line and even 70 can feel slow!

I agree too - I think the Motorway would be safer if the limit was 80 mph, particularly as most people seem to exceed the 70mph limit already in place. Driving along on the motorway does not feel very fast when you are going in a straight line and even 70 can feel slow!

not sure i agree , i think 70mph is fine as it is as a lot of cars can not cope at 80mph , 70mph is fine for all cars , you then have to think about lorrys, imagine you were doing 80mph and a dozy lorry driver pulls into your lane????

not sure i agree , i think 70mph is fine as it is as a lot of cars can not cope at 80mph , 70mph is fine for all cars , you then have to think about lorrys, imagine you were doing 80mph and a dozy lorry driver pulls into your lane????

I do 70 and lorries still pull out in front of me

Raise it to 80!

Give us a little respect then when we indicate either get out of our way or drop back so we can over take it's simple really.mostly plebs(cars) who hog the over taking lane cause the problems when they sit there all day doing 50 and wondering why ppl get cross with them.after all it does say in high way code keep left unless overtaking perhaps some should read it :lol::lol:

Give us a little respect then when we indicate either get out of our way or drop back so we can over take it's simple really.mostly plebs(cars) who hog the over taking lane cause the problems when they sit there all day doing 50 and wondering why ppl get cross with them.after all it does say in high way code keep left unless overtaking perhaps some should read it :lol::lol:

agreed

Give us a little respect then when we indicate either get out of our way or drop back so we can over take it's simple really.mostly plebs(cars)who hog the over taking lane cause the problems when they sit there all day doing 50 and wondering why ppl get cross with them.after all it does say in high way code keep left unless overtaking perhaps some should read it :lol::lol:

Something lorry drivers are never guilty of

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club