Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashboard rattle

BobTheSkull

Hi guys

Did a quick search but didn't find anything similar. My fiesta is nearly a week old and yesterday it started rattling behind the drivers side air vent (the one next to the door rather than the center console). It's not constant, only on bumpier surfaces but speed doesnt really seem to affect it. Same rattle at 30 mph and 70mph.

Anybody had anything similar and if so how did you get rid of it?

Any help/ideas would be great.

I find the centre silver part rattles and creeks a bit if i have the climate set at 18 or less.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys

Did a quick search but didn't find anything similar. My fiesta is nearly a week old and yesterday it started rattling behind the drivers side air vent (the one next to the door rather than the center console). It's not constant, only on bumpier surfaces but speed doesnt really seem to affect it. Same rattle at 30 mph and 70mph.

Anybody had anything similar and if so how did you get rid of it?

Any help/ideas would be great.

Mine (4 months old) has just started rattling behind the passenger part of the dash - sounds similar, only on bumpier surfaces. Driving me mad!

Try the passenger side plastic A-pillar trim - that was rattling about on mine.

Also the passenger door pouch trim can rattle due to its design

Cheers - just spent an hour or so fiddling around and my "A" pillar trim was indeed a bit loose so I've wedged it with a bit of paper, out of sight (old trick!) I also found some loose wiring clips dangling about behind the glove box - which I've now taped up. Plus the door bin seemed to squeak a bit when I wiggled it around so that's had "the treatment" too - also the long piece of hard plastic trim between the footwell & the gear lever surround rattled against a metal tube behind the trim when I moved it around so that's now been padded. I'll see how it goes!

Mine still rattles. I'm fairly certain its coming from behind the driver air vent but i cant poke my finger in far enought to reach anything to see if it stops it. Driving me nuts. I'll see if I can wait till it needs a service to bring it up with ford though.

Mine was rattling today, then I realised it was the pound coins I've put in the coin holders in the glovebox!

mine does that i will have to try to fix it , i also get a a rattle behind me , as yet im still to find it

• 5 years later...

Hi all..I have an annoying rattle from the front dash...Any ideas anyone??

Video below of the noise

have you got a cd in the player? sounds like the cd hitting the laser

No CD in the player...if I place my hand on the top of the fascia it stops..Ford cannot figure it out and it's driving me crazy.

strange two possibilities
The cd player like all cd players has thin metal bars/cage etc couple pieces are hitting together somehow (bolt maybe needing tightened )

slight gap somewhere anyway that's making that noise lol sorry a couldn't help you but I've heard this noise on many things before i make my own pc and been through a few dvd/cd players and if the hard drives going fast on the pc it vibrate the pc too much this noise is produced after months

If the car is under warranty and develops a rattle, take it to Ford, don't wait til it needs a service. Mine had a bad rattle caused by the trim around the rain sensor / GPS sensor, it took a couple of visits to the local dealer and it was sorted. You don't have to put up with these problems on a new car (or you shouldn't have to).

Unfortunately these fiestas do have small annoying rattles, its down to build quality and materials used. Iv'e had my passenger door card off and a sensor trim re fitted and passenger seat removed and refitted to fix some of mine. Sometimes it is more hassle for Ford to fix it than not, for example, when my door card was removed and refitted as something was loose, the car came back with a nice scratch on the bumper, which I have since argued with Ford about and they are re spraying today.

To compare, I had a lift in my bosses CLA 45 AMG yesterday which is a 45k + pricetag, and when I got in my ST to drive home I heard everything, it is a completely different class of interior quality. You have to remember the design of these cars, especially the interior and materials used is from 2008 when the mk7 was first released, in the mk8 the interior should be of a higher quality, like the new focus and to an extent the materials used in the new mustang.

I agree Tom, we can't expect these cars to be completely rattle free. After I got my really bad rattle fixed I've noticed a few minor ones but I'm just putting up with them for now. I guess the hard suspension doesn't help either, transmitting more vibrations to anything that could rattle. I think the build quality is better than it was in my 09 Titanium though, at least it seems that way.

Yeah my main ones are gone, now it just sounds the occasional plastic against plastic rubbing , not like a metal bar hitting against something. I do agree about the interior getting better, I test drove a 1.6 ZS before I bought the 1.0 ZS and the interior was better in the newer model . Also the rattles in the ST were not present in the first 100 miles, they develop overtime, which as you say is due to the harsh ride, but this is to be expected. Much rather drive a ST with a few rattles than something slower which is rattle free :D

Also the rattles in the ST were not present in the first 100 miles, they develop overtime, which as you say is due to the harsh ride, but this is to be expected.

This is definitely true, I remember being so impressed by how solid the car seemed going over harsh bumps when it was brand new, but it doesn't last. If only the parts where held together better.

Problem is that the panels are held in much more these days simply with clips rather than screws, to make assembly quicker and cheaper. The hole in the bodywork into which the clip fits is slightly bigger than the clip, allowing movement which inevitably causes rattles. I've still got one in the far corner of my dashboard on the passenger side around the A pillar / bottom of windscreen area and haven't been able to trace it. I also can't get a hand to the underside of the offending area via the glovebox aperture as there is too much other stuff in the way behind it, and I simply can't face the thought of disassembling the whole thing.

Once a year or so I have to remove the climate sensor and clean the dust out of it that causes it to start buzzing over time. This necessitates prising off the trim around the gear stick. Every time I do it, the same clip breaks off and I have to super-glue it back on to the trim prior to re-assembly.

Seems to be the price we have to pay these days (or not!) for cheaper cars.

• 8 months later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread because I have yet another rattle plaguing my car. This one is from the dashboard somewhere (I think) and sounds like of like a creaking sound as well as a rattle, probably two bits of cheap plastic rubbing / vibrating.

I'll try and get a video up from my dashcam to see if anyone has had a similar problem, but in the meantime I just wanted to ask about warranty cover for this sort of thing. I thought the warranty would normally cover rattles especially when they are very distracting like this one, so is that the case and would I have more of a problem having this fixed under warranty with the car being just over a year old?

Sadly even in my Alfa and my friends Audi A5 all have interior squeeks and rattles, we find them more in the summer due to thermals making trims expand and rub. The only one I couldn't put up with wasn't the dash but both front seats were constantly creaking every inch you moved. Sadly its common nowadays and you have to put up with some squeeks and rattles.

But then again I've had squeeks on all my cars in the last 8 - 10 years Ford, BMW's, Volkswagons, Renaults & Alfa. My two much older Nissan Micra's were the only cars that never had a squeek or rattle but these were mega simple cars and the interior were probably one big piece with dials painted on lol

• Like 1

^ Yeah I've heard of rattles on all sorts of cars, and it can really ruin the experience of driving the car. If I can't get it fixed I'll just have to turn up the music and drown it out lol.

Last night I took everything out of the car that wasn't screwed in place, including all the spare wheel gubbins just to figure out what's rattling and what isn't. I thought the rear seats were rattling but with them folded down it seems to be the trim around the rear wheel arches which should be easy to fix. The road noise was deafening on the M1 though without anything between the bare metal of the rear of the car and my ears lol.

• Like 1

I've been there removing everything from the car down to the carpets, parcel shelf, boot lining to find rattles when I was paranoid till I just realised it wasn't that bad and everyone usually has atleast one squeek or rattle in or under a car and a bit of music got me past it lol.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club