Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 06 Mondeo 2.0 115 Tdci With Issues

DCTDC

Well the light hasn't come on yet - 100m on range, but still lower than I've run it recently (nearing red).

I'll chuck some premium in for the trip home and see how it helps, ford keep telling me to avoid the normal stuff..

Righto

It was jerking, holding back and kangerooing several times on the way home.

I can also hear a "whooshing" sound when the Turbo kicks in and I've noticed this pipe coming off the bottom of the egr (and the little pipes under) has become oily.

post-62968-142489575028_thumb.jpg

post-62968-142489576781_thumb.jpg

check the turbo intercooler hoses and make sure they are not split as well. As for the oily, I am not sure why there would be oil at the EGR unless I am forgetting something basic!

Recirculated exhaust emissions are oily & sooty & tarry ! :)

I've had a look and can't see anything in daylight, a Ford mech checked they were solid when I revved as well which he suggested meant they're working properly.

He did say it's odd that after 120 miles down the motorway it would be giving out black smoke when it's revved, which suggests something's up with the ECG. So I'll pull that off this weekend and clean it up.

The "whooshing" can't be heard when it's revved stood still out of gear, only when the turbo kicks in as I accelerate down the road.

Aside from the ECG though I'm at a loss.

What I know:

• It smokes. Was grey, definitely now black. And more of it.
  • It started holding back and kangarooing within the last 1/4 tank of the "standard" diesel I've been filling it up with, but at a different station to what I usually use, I put premium in over that and have been giving it a bit of welly to get the new fuel through.
  • There's a new fuel filter, about 1500 miles (1 1/2 weeks) ago.
  • The inlet pipe under the ECG has fresh oil on it, the small pipes underneath appear to have caught some of that too.
  • It has otherwise been running OK.

!Removed! cars.

That EGR to intercooler is most likely either split or has come loose around the top...the whooshing you mention and the the oily sooty residue in that area are those exact symptoms. I'd get it off for a proper look if I was you (most common place for a split is at the elbow of the bend, but a quick search of Google images and youtube will make it clear) and make sure it's fitted tight when put back on.Would recommend an EGR blanking plate too.

Also on the door pull, you're right that it just needs a little mod to the catch on the handle. Bit fiddly to put it back in place but well worth it. I used wee cut off an old mud flap that was lying around and glued it to the inside of the catch.

And on the point of noise when depressing the clutch, could be signs of the flywheel on it's way out but 68k miles is pretty low for that. Worth having looked at though.

That EGR to intercooler is most likely either split or has come loose around the top...the whooshing you mention and the the oily sooty residue in that area are those exact symptoms. I'd get it off for a proper look if I was you (most common place for a split is at the elbow of the bend, but a quick search of Google images and youtube will make it clear) and make sure it's fitted tight when put back on.Would recommend an EGR blanking plate too.

Thank you kindly, would that correlate with the kangarooing also? I guess a poor air/fuel mix could do it..

(And it only really happens at higher revs; 1500+ occasionally, 2000+ without doubt)

Yes it would, also clean the M.A.F. sensor.

• Like 1

Is the car fitted with a tuning box by chance ?

Nope, completely standard run as a local commuter as far as I know.

I think from memory the EGR only opens/functions from up around 2k revs anyway so again, EGR trouble would be my first bet.

You can start by taking it apart and cleaning it out to see if it improves (as mentioned, it can get badly coked up), and making sure everything is refitted properly afterwards.

A blanking plate is another option for the sake of a couple of quid, or can even DIY one if you like. Only thing is, I think your 06 will be a Euro IV emissions, so you'll get the EML on the dash with it blanked off.

Have you run the little diagnostics trick on the instrument cluster to see if it's showing any error codes? Or have your own bluetooth/wi-fi ELM scanner?

The advice above is good - also check the inlet manifold for excessive carbon deposits.

• Like 2

Morning folks,

EGR came off over the weekend - it was caked beyond belief! Cleaned and took it for a run this morning and gone is the kangarooing (touch wood!). It still chucks out a small cloud of black smoke on hard acceleration though.

The inlet manifold was a bit beyond my confidence level (given I rely on it so heavily) so I didn't take that off. Might be a project for another weekend.

The steering wobble is better too, despite having it supposedly balanced, I had it checked again and a wheel was 70g out. There's still a bit of a shudder coming from the back wheels around 70 (feel it through the seat) so I don't know what that might be now the wheels are fine.

Finally, the water leak was a crack in the thermostat housing. Got that replaced at a friend's garage.

Wobble could be a bad tyre. Swap each wheel with the spare and drive it and hopefully you will find the affected tyre.

• Like 1

EGR came off over the weekend - it was caked beyond belief! Cleaned and took it for a run this morning and gone is the kangarooing (touch wood!). It still chucks out a small cloud of black smoke on hard acceleration though.

I spoke too soon, although slightly less often it is still kangarooing. Plumes of smoke on acceleration still too.

This is doing my head in.

It could well be the inlet manifold that needs doing then....

I can temporarily disable the egr to replicate it being blanked off right?

Perhaps I should try that too to make sure there's nothing else it could be.

not without blanking it I dont believe...

OK, I found myself getting annoyed earlier and took it into a garage.

Unlike being alone, with a 2nd pair of eyes I was able to rev the !Removed! off it and the mechanic witnessed the egr to intercooler pipe collapse in on itself repeatedly between the Turbo kicking in and the egr switching between air and exhaust. The car gasped for air when this happened, similar to out on the motorway (but no kangarooing obviously being stationary).

New pipe ordered and fit tomorrow!

Hopefully that's the end of that issue!

...nope!

Test drove it with the new pipe and while it's generally smoother (and no more whooshing!), the kangarooing is still there, again, to a lesser degree.

They've offered to do the manifold for me next week FOC so I'm taking it back on Tuesday.

Once the manifold is clean that excludes the pipe, egr and manifold from the cause of the kangarooing, which I think might mean the fuel system is investigated next.

Good result with a free manifold spit Polish

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club