Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led Indicator Problem

Brigante

I have swapped the indicators in the rear clusters to cree amber/yellow indicator bulbs

Now the indicators all round have started to flash rapidly

I have heard this can be the case with led indicators

How do I rectify this without just going back to stock bulbs?

Do i need resistors?

I would think resistors are the problem i.e. the LEDs don't have enough resistance. Sounds like what happened to me with my first car, when one of the indicator bulbs went on the left, the left indicators flashed at double speed.

Maybe there are other LED indicators which have the correct resistance?

You need to install a load resistor for each bulb that is an LED, or I think you can get an LED flasher unit to replace your standard one that will flash the indicators at the correct rate.

I would be surprised if you can't find some LED indicators that don't have the correct resistance built in, I mean if they are designed to replace 581 type bulbs they should be designed with the same resistance shouldn't they?

I dunno they was listed as being cree indicators and being cree i thought theyd be the best bet

Dont really wanna risk any more, no descriptions about the resistance on any product details om any other listings and most sellers end up being in china even when stating being in the uk

What do the resistors look like and how do they fit?

Can't link on my mobile but eBay item number 171396959845 for the in line load resistors and 221231277773 for the relay. Should both do the job so up to you which you choose to use.

the relay looks like it will be the tidier option

where exactly do i put it?

It will replace your standard flasher unit in the fuse/relay box. You need to find out where yours is, pull it out and count the pins.

It will be either a 3 or 4 pin, order one with the same number of pins.

This one :> http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/LED-Flasher-Unit.html you can order with a buzzer, apparently the clicking noise is silent on the LED flasher relays so the buzzer gives you an audible worning that its working.

i'm assuming the relay should be on the fuse box under the bonnet?

should it say in the owners manual where it is?

I know with the Focus the relay is built in to the BCM and cannot be changed. Might be worth a check on the Mondeo before you buy...

I think the days of cars having flasher units is in the past now - it'll be done via the GEM module these days so there's nothing you could change in that area to correct the flashing problem. Not sure if they stick with a system that's sensitive to current draws so that you notice the faster flashing as an indication when a bulb has gone.

Simplest fix imho would be to either piggyback some standard bulbs into the circuit and hide them somewhere, so the correct amount of current is drawn or go for the load resistors. Bear in mind the load resistors will get hot so take care where they're mounted.

Sadly I don't think you'll have much chance of getting LED's which match the current draw of standard bulbs, lot of the time the whole point of LED's is to reduce current draw so you'd be losing that feature plus the bulb would have to deal with a lot more heat - take the size of the load resistor as an indication of this.

hmm so i'm screwed basically

i don't want to be wiring anything in really due to where the wiring for the indicators are, they are high up in the boot behind metal bodywork so inaccessible to be trying to tap in to the wires

What about under the bonnet? I have bought a pair of 6ohm resistors for the Focus and am having a similar problem of where to mount them.

• Like 1

so they dont actually need wiring inline with the rear indicators?

What about under the bonnet? I have bought a pair of 6ohm resistors for the Focus and am having a similar problem of where to mount them.

That'd be a good starting point :)

so they dont actually need wiring inline with the rear indicators?

Nope, if you were to wire them inline it'd affect the voltage across the LED lamp plus wouldn't have the desired effect because the LED would still limit the current drawn. More likely I'd think you need to wire from the indicator feed to earth.

I plan to wire the resistors in parallel with the front LED bulb. It's all the same circuit so in theory it should show the flash rate across the whole circuit as it will detect more load?

sorry didnt actually mean inline, just meant where the led indicators are, as in in the boot

so it doesnt matter where they get wired in?

I just read that you need one resistor for each LED which has stumped me again. I'm now thinking of mounting the resistors in the spare wheel well, since I don't have a spare wheel and it's empty, and running some wires up to join the bulb in parallel.

Also wandering if it's worth the hassle. Do love the instant light of the LED's though and would like to go LED where ever i can.

yup i thought one resister was needed per indicator

i was wanting to swap all indicators to leds which is why the idea of a relay sounded the tidiest easiest option, but if thats not possible i dont think i'll continue

wiring in loads of resistors will just get messy, especially if they get hot and need to be kept off plastic

seems way more hassle than its worth

i'm also trying to convert all other bulbs to led/cree, so the brake lights, tail lights n fog lights. already done the reverse lights

trying to find leds or preferably crees in the correct fitments for the other bulbs is proving rather tricky though

If you leave one standard bulb in each side then the resistance will be maintained.

As I have LED side repeaters and had LED rear bulbs (now full LED rear lights- ta Charlie ;) ) I kept standard front bulbs in and have no problems with flash speed.

All ive done is swap the rear repeaters to cree bulbs, kept front and side repeaters standard but the crees are making the indicators all round flash rapidly so it needs sorting out

I have tried just swapping the rear indicators and even when just changing one bulb I get a much faster flash speed.

Just fit the resistors then, they can be tapped in anywhere in the boot and under the bonnet. They don't need to be placed right by the bulbs.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club