Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Several Issues I Could Do With Advice On

Josh775

Hi all, my 1.8 TDCI 2004 has had a few EGR problems over the last few months which only occurs on motorway driving. P0401 insufficient flow. I have cleaned it out twice with EGR cleaner and even had a Terraclean and it keeps coming back. This is putting my car in limp mode which is also affecting my MPG. i keep clearing it with ObD2 but it keeps coming back

On this engine could I just stick a blanking plate on and what are the pros and cons? I wanted to take the Inlet manifold off to clean it all out but it looks a pain.

My second problem is I am losing coolant, but there is no visible signs of a leak. I had a new waterpump fitted 6 months ago. I have checked everywhere and can see no leaking but it's using at least 1 litre a week.

Any advice/Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am doing a 500 mile + round trip next week so would like to sort it for then.

Thanks,

Josh.

Have you checked the inlet manifold for excessive carbon deposits ? Is the intercooler to E.G.R.V. hose intact & tightly connected at both ends ?

My second problem is I am losing coolant, but there is no visible signs of a leak. I had a new waterpump fitted 6 months ago. I have checked everywhere and can see no leaking but it's using at least 1 litre a week.

Have you considered a head gasket gailure? If the leak is into a cylinder maybe this could throw up a spurious error code.

Have a look at the thermstat housing above the starter motor at the front common problem for leaking cost around 25/30 to fix and can be done in half an hour

Have a look at the thermstat housing above the starter motor at the front common problem for leaking cost around 25/30 to fix and can be done in half an hour

Good suggestion, when I had a brief look earlier the Starter motor and alternator were wet so I guess you may be on the money here!!

Is it an easy fix? I have all the tools and have done alternator/starter changes before..

Have you checked the inlet manifold for excessive carbon deposits ? Is the intercooler to E.G.R.V. hose intact & tightly connected at both ends ?

Not checked this, I thought that cleaning the EGR twice and a terraclean would have done it but you could be right. Hoses are OK, no holes either

Have you considered a head gasket gailure? If the leak is into a cylinder maybe this could throw up a spurious error code.

Not something I have considered as it seems to be running fine and also the oil/coolant dont appear to be mixing but will check.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

I found the leak!

I'm 99% sure this is the Thermostat housing now.

for the EGR, blank it is the way, most users here have done it and there are only benefits. the only downside would be that the car would take a little longer to warm up because its no longer getting hot exhaust gases through the intake, but the car takes long to warm up anyway so you probably wont notice :)

the thermostat housing is the housing right in the middle of this picture: its from the MK2 but it should look similar.

post-29006-0-58407300-1388576083.jpg

• Like 1

Yep that's your leak if I remember correctly only too.s rqd are a ten mil socket and a pipe wrench to get the clips off the hoses shouldn't take longer than half. Hour

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club