Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zetec S footwell lighting

taz777

within a week of having it, I'd bought blubs and fitted them!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magenta

• Nipz

• AlexB

• xxtrickzxx

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got these footwell lights on my Titanium model but I couldn't believe when I first examined them that they were just exposed bulbs without a cover. I was sure that something was missing from mine so I checked a showroom Fiesta and that was the same. How can Ford put a protruding, exposed bulb in that position (or anywhere else for that matter) where it can get kicked ? A proper ,flush lamp cover would correct a tacky design.

I've had mine for almost 7months and I can't say I've ever kicked it. You can't even see it from the seat so not really a "tacky" design.

I've had mine for almost 7months and I can't say I've ever kicked it. You can't even see it from the seat so not really a "tacky" design.

Because you can't see it from the driver's seat doesn't mean it shouldn't be well designed. What would under the bonnet be like with that point of view ?

some people love a good moan about anything at all.

I don't moan about 'anything at all' except, I admit, perhaps cars ! I just like to see attention to detail.

Its a ford fiesta, not a Bugatti Veyron! Besides, I cant see them from either side of the car I sit in. You'd have to be 3ft tall, or a kid to notice.. ;)

How can Ford put a protruding, exposed bulb in that position (or anywhere else for that matter) where it can get kicked ? A proper ,flush lamp cover would correct a tacky design.

Not sure about your car but in mine the worlds best contortionist would have some bother trying to kick that bulb. Sorry but have to agree with others, a moan too far - in no way can that be considered a poor or faulty design.

Is it tacky? Well I agree - yes it is, it's hard to imagine how you could make footwell lighting any cheaper (even a candle would more expensive!. But there are lots more 'tacky' designs to be found all around the vehicle and that's because the Fiesta is a low budget, pile-them-high, sell-them-cheap type car - as are all Fords. You want better fit and finish, pay more money and buy another car - simple.

Because you can't see it from the driver's seat doesn't mean it shouldn't be well designed. What would under the bonnet be like with that point of view ?

Do you also iron your underwear?

Its a ford fiesta, not a Bugatti Veyron! Besides, I cant see them from either side of the car I sit in. You'd have to be 3ft tall, or a kid to notice.. ;)

Come on now, footwell lights are hardly unique to a mass produced car like the Fiesta which is undoubtedly a great car. The people that designed the underpinnings and stylists did a great job why not finish the job properly ? Do you really believe that good design stops when it is out of sight ? Under the bonnet is a good example. I can't see that from the drivers seat even if I was a contortionist. I repeat, attention to detail is worthwhile and doesn't have to cost anything.

Do you also iron your underwear?

No, but perhaps some of us should. Out of sight out of mind ? I dread to think what the state of your boot must be like let alone your underwear, if any. LOL.

Not sure about your car but in mine the worlds best contortionist would have some bother trying to kick that bulb. Sorry but have to agree with others, a moan too far - in no way can that be considered a poor or faulty design.

Is it tacky? Well I agree - yes it is, it's hard to imagine how you could make footwell lighting any cheaper (even a candle would more expensive!. But there are lots more 'tacky' designs to be found all around the vehicle and that's because the Fiesta is a low budget, pile-them-high, sell-them-cheap type car - as are all Fords. You want better fit and finish, pay more money and buy another car - simple.

I agree, Fords are in that category like so many other cars and a penny saved here and there is important. Perhaps I made too much of such a small point as the Fiesta is an excellent car, the engineering of the underpinnings and styling is very well executed for a low budget car. Attention to detail and good design don't have to cost anything though if enough thought is given to it early on in the design stages. Actually I don't see why footwell lighting is really necessary at all, I'd rather have reading lamps for the rear passengers. I'm not a contortionist and pretty average build,I can't see under the bonnet from the driver's seat but I expect a well engineered layout under there all the same.

• 5 months later...

ive got a fiesta studio (basic model)and i have the wiring and holder's but when i put the bulbs in (LED'S) earlier today they didnt work (they were the correct ones, 501 W5W)so anybody know what the problem maybe, no fuse perhaps? i dont know, need help really want some lighting aha!

ive got a fiesta studio (basic model)and i have the wiring and holder's but when i put the bulbs in (LED'S) earlier today they didnt work (they were the correct ones, 501 W5W)so anybody know what the problem maybe, no fuse perhaps? i dont know, need help really want some lighting aha!

Pull out the bulb - and turn it around. LED's have to slot in the correct way. Should solve your problem.

On my Zetec there is a menu option for the Ambient Lighting, so maybe worth a check to make sure it's enabled. B)

I don't know if I've got the wrong end of the stick here but the footwell lighting on mine certainly isn't LED's. I know that from burning my hand on the exposed bulb ! A 5W bulb wouldn't be an LED. The 'ambient' lighting in the glove box area would be LED I think.

You could check to see if there is a dedicated fuse for the footwell lighting but I would doubt it.

The factiory fitted lights are standard bulbs, what a lot of us have done is replace them with LEDs which don't heat up as much.

i tried turning the bulbs around but that didnt work, tomorrow i will check about whether the ambient lighting is switched on and check if there is a current to the socket with an electric screwdriver :)

On my Zetec there is a menu option for the Ambient Lighting, so maybe worth a check to make sure it's enabled. B)

couldnt find this option on my system :(

i tried turning the bulbs around but that didnt work, tomorrow i will check about whether the ambient lighting is switched on and check if there is a current to the socket with an electric screwdriver :)

Sorry to state the obvious but make sure it is a tester for 12 volts dc ! You could try a standard non-led bulb.

The factiory fitted lights are standard bulbs, what a lot of us have done is replace them with LEDs which don't heat up as much.

Understood. Good idea.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club