Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Electrical Fault Help!

SteveSpoon

I bought a mk3 Focus ST2 at the end of October I'm the 2nd owner and it was registered in May 2014. Car ran like a dream until recently I've started to have problems with the electrics. While driving all warning lights on dash come on, both speedo and rev counters seem to lose power and the needles drop to zero then trip computer shuts down then everything reboots and returns to normal all in that order. It doesn't seem to be a major fault as car still drives fine but can be quite alarming and annoying!

I only recently noticed that no matter how hard I drive the car the boost gauge never really goes over half way. Is this normal or could it be linked to my electrical fault?

Has anyone else experienced the same problems?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

As it's under Ford warranty why not take it back to the dealer ?

I have mate but they basically said they can't do anythin about it as it didnt happen while they were test driving it, they said it sounded like cables chaffing together so they cable tied and secured them and reset my ECU but the same thing happened the day after I got it back. I'm booked in again for 2nd March (next Monday) but I was hoping to get some advice and tell them what I think the problem is.

Why don't you try and if someone's in the car with you as this happens,record it on their phone and take it to fords mate. I had to do this when I had a intermittent problem with my focus, what happened was they got me a courtesy car and the service manager took my car home for 3 days and it done it to him so he could explain what the problem was to the guys in service and it after loads of tests and a week without my car it ended up with a new ECU module and since then no problem at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I bought a mk3 Focus ST2 at the end of October I'm the 2nd owner and it was registered in May 2014. Car ran like a dream until recently I've started to have problems with the electrics. While driving all warning lights on dash come on, both speedo and rev counters seem to lose power and the needles drop to zero then trip computer shuts down then everything reboots and returns to normal all in that order. It doesn't seem to be a major fault as car still drives fine but can be quite alarming and annoying!

That does sound like battery voltage disappearing from the dash. if the car keeps driving without a hiccup, it doesn't sound like a problem at the battery, but a problem with the feed to the dash (or, maybe the ground connection to the dash). (Usually, though, the gauges do a full sweep, but the dropping to zero does suggest a similar thing...it may just be that the supply to the dash is going and not the supply to the module that drives the dash, so it doesn't reset, but the dash loses power)

In any case, after having looked at the fuses, someone will probably have to have a look at all the wiring, to see if there is any obvious evidence of a problem, remembering to check earths as well as the other connections. Failing that, you are probably looking at removing and re-inserting connectors, squirting some contact cleaner around and sucking air through your teeth and saying 'never did it while I had it, mate'...oh, sorry, that's what the garage does.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club