Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I don't want to kick up a big thing about the horsey topic, but whoever said they're a nuisance because you go round a corner at 20-30 and 'bam' they're right there....well, yes, inconvenient, but if they take you by such a surprise then I can only suggest that you're going too fast, imagine the surprise you'll get if someone comes round the corner the other way at 20-30mph....

I'm just saying that technically if you can't see round that corner then you should be expecting there to be Jesus himself healing disabled children holding puppies whilst news crews from all over the world have their cameras at the ready....

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

It's a bit different when the cars are on the other side of the road, and the horses are on your side facing away from you.

Not to mention most don't stop to let you go through, that to some degree pressurises some drivers into going onto the wrong side to get past, personally I only overtake when safe, and when I can see all the way down the road, and I move out slowly, pass wide, and in a high gear so that the revs are low, and the noise is kept to a minimum so as not to scare the horses.

Kudos to the horse rider on here who said she often stops to let most people through. ;)

• Like 3

Try going on Dartmoor where ponies and sheep stand in the middle of narrow twisty roads and refuse to move.

At the end of it all, if something is legally allowed on roads whether it has wheels or legs you should be prepared to deal with it.

Expect the unexpected and apply common sense and manners.

• Like 5

Try going on Dartmoor where ponies and sheep stand in the middle of narrow twisty roads and refuse to move.

At the end of it all, if something is legally allowed on roads whether it has wheels or legs you should be prepared to deal with it.

Expect the unexpected and apply common sense and manners.

As enjoyable as dartmoor sounds, I can't say it's very local to me. :P

I might as well weigh in to the horse conversation as there are quite a lot of horses around where I live. I certainly don't hate them and I've never been held up significantly by them, although I can see how it would be annoying if there's no way to safely get past.

I like all animals so would never do anything that would cause distress to them, and then I've heard about what can happen if a rider falls off a horse so I'm always cafeful when going past them. I might even be too careful, even if they're on the other side of the road I slow right down and then accelerate gently when I'm well clear.

Am I right in thinking that some horses aren't that bothered by cars, but some can scare easily? That's what I always think when I see them anyway.

Chuffing POT HOLES

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 4

As enjoyable as dartmoor sounds, I can't say it's very local to me. :P

Indeed, however any common land areas with grazing animals roaming free requires a level of common sense and patience from drivers.

While in Armed Response I had occasions where I was called on to despatch badly maimed animals which had been hit by cars (where vets were unavailable or suffering warranted an expedient humane end) and it was never pleasant.

(Thankfully not as OTT as the cow scene in the film Me, Myself & Irene.)

• Like 2

A re-read of the Highway code may enable a greater understanding of how to treat vulnerable road users - four legged or not.

• Like 6

Chuffing POT HOLES

Yes, I fear for my low profile wheels every time I see one. Haven't hit a bad one in the ST yet but there have been plenty of times when one appears from under the car in front, it makes me cringe until I get over it safely lol.

Indeed, however any common land areas with grazing animals roaming free requires a level of common sense and patience from drivers.

While in Armed Response I had occasions where I was called on to despatch badly maimed animals which had been hit by cars (where vets were unavailable or suffering warranted an expedient humane end) and it was never pleasant.

(Thankfully not as OTT as the cow scene in the film Me, Myself & Irene.)

Lol that's probably one of the funniest scenes in any film :D . And I assume you don't even carry a gun so who knows how you could deal with that cow.

When on AR I carried a Glock pistol and an MP5 carbine but now as a Dog Handler I suppose I could taser it :p

I might as well weigh in to the horse conversation as there are quite a lot of horses around where I live. I certainly don't hate them and I've never been held up significantly by them, although I can see how it would be annoying if there's no way to safely get past.

I like all animals so would never do anything that would cause distress to them, and then I've heard about what can happen if a rider falls off a horse so I'm always cafeful when going past them. I might even be too careful, even if they're on the other side of the road I slow right down and then accelerate gently when I'm well clear.

Am I right in thinking that some horses aren't that bothered by cars, but some can scare easily? That's what I always think when I see them anyway.

some horses can be fine in traffic others not so much my boy was brill in traffic until it was my right of way and the hydro van carried on my horse spooked and I nearly ended up on the bonnet haven't been on the road since x

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

When on AR I carried a Glock pistol and an MP5 carbine but now as a Dog Handler I suppose I could taser it :P

Sounds like you used to do a job I have always wanted to do :P

Sorry fiesta guy, when you said 'country road' I was under the (incorrect) assumption that you were referring to single lane country roads. My mistake..

Sounds like you used to do a job I have always wanted to do :P

It was great but the amount of bull###t and elitism drove me nuts.

Most AR guys are well up themselves.

Sorry fiesta guy, when you said 'country road' I was under the (incorrect) assumption that you were referring to single lane country roads. My mistake..

No problems, I too would like to apologise, perhaps I made myself sound an idiot....

I can absolutely assure you, I never risk the wellbeing of horses/cyclists, some people (mates, dad, neighbours) who have driven with me accuse me of being too "Caring"... if that's the right word, I often never overtake a cyclist until there's a good long stretch of road where I can move right across into the wrong lane and go past very wide and safely, I've seen people nearly knock cyclists off.

Even today on the way home, I sat behind a cyclist just before we went through two pinch points (Two traffic islands) and waited until I had passed both before going past well wide, the female driver behind me right up my chuff (Driving an 08 reg Vauxhall - What a Surprise!....) gave me the look of evils in the rear view for waiting behind the cyclist. Did wonder what else she wanted me to do, try and overtake him as the road narrows significantly into a traffic island?

The things i've made mention of, are things where i've been a passenger in a car and see, or seen other drivers do. For instance, running out of patience being stuck behind a slower driver, and trying to overtake on the wrong side of the road on a blind corner, forcing me (Coming round the corner on the correct side of the road) to smash brakes full on and swerve towards the hedge slightly to avoid having a head on.

Perhaps I made it sound a lot worse than it really is.

• Like 2

It was great but the amount of bull###t and elitism drove me nuts.

Most AR guys are well up themselves.

Yeah well I always wanted to be a pilot (Probably not too much of a surprise). However I don't have about £110k to spare, and don't fancy my slim chances of getting sponsored for the cost of training (I did read somewhere that 1 in 12 candidates get approval on a sponsorship scheme, that's about an 8.5% chance....)

Since that has pretty much gone out of the window, and I want a job where every job is different, and no two days are identical, this is about the closest I think i'm going to get that's going to make me feel like I don't hate my job. :P

I did consider (And very much still are considering) applying as an SC (or SPC), however still living at home, my parents will not approve of this, they jump to the conclusion of "You will end up being killed on duty" too much.....

As a result of not wanting to make things awkward in the family, I'm waiting until I get promoted (Hopefully no more than a few years away - due to the promotion structure of my job and company), that way I can then afford my own place. My plan then on is to try an SC role, and see if I enjoy it as much as I think I will, if that's the case, then i'd very strongly consider leaving my current job and applying for a position as a fully paid PC after the year's period is up (possibly longer).

I know SC's don't need a CKIP, however I am somewhat considering paying the course fee of £1,000 to attend tuitional courses after work and take on the course, as I feel having a CKIP will be advantageous.

As an ex-cop, is there any advice you can offer me? :P

I'm not ex, I just moved from AR to dogs.

Most forces now only consider applicants that are either support staff, PCSO's or SC's so direct external entry is rare.

Becoming a SC is a good start for sure.

I take it you're a dog handler in the Devonshire & Cornwall (I think that's the one anyway) constabulary?

I've got a thing for the Met, being from South East of london.

Could look at COLP too, but I honestly prefer the Met, better to keep both options open though I guess.

That I have been given a 64 plate Vauxhall Corsa as a hire car while my Focus is having body work done, still £90 for the week isn't bad I suppose, good job I only do about 15 miles a day :)

They should be paying you to compensate for the shame :)

• Like 3

Oh when people hit the door of your car and look at you like it's your fault

• Like 2

Carrots...

Sent from Ye Olde iPadde using Ford OC

• Like 2

Carrots...

Oh now you've started something;

sprouts

cabbage

broccoli

asparagus

• Like 1

sprouts

cabbage

broccoli

asparagus

I hate most meats

• Like 2

Like most meats but hate all them so called Mediterranean veg :wacko:

sprouts

cabbage

broccoli

asparagus

Now ya see, I LIKE sprouts, cabbage, broccoli and asparagus - so if y'don't want them, send them over here!!

YUM!!!

:D

• Like 1