Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

On 13/05/2017 at 1:06 AM, Micro said:

Ask your vet (obviously tell them why you want them) - they will have syringes and needles around, and if not free, they will be a couple of quid maximum - preferably for your purposes a drawing up/filling needle with a blunt, or near blunt tip (no filters though, you'll probably never get the stuff through). For food prep can be washed and safely stowed with the needle cap on - don't stab yourself - and reused when required (but to dispose of, take to your vet to put in the yellow bin).

That was an excellent idea Ted:smile:

I got a couple yesterday, they were free, they also gave me a little "sharps" container to put the needles in, to safely bring them back next week, for disposal

Pipper however, has worked out there's something different about her tea, that's not in her breakfast.:unsure:  She's eating her medicated tea far less enthusiastically than her untainted breakfast.:mellow:

I don't like that my 13 year old collie is showing symptons of heart failure.
The other 2 dogs know he isn't his normal self and are making a fuss of him.
Vets on tuesday and hopefully something can be done to pep him up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Vets on tuesday and hopefully something can be done to pep him up.

I hope so too Clive

• Like 1

I don't like people who say they'll ring back on Monday morning, and don't.  Then when you ring them, their secretary informs you, they're not in the office today, she'll get them to call you, tomorrow (Tuesday)  You point out you won't be available for most of Tuesday and yet when you return, there are 6 answer machine messages, "just returning your call":sad:

I don't like having an intermittent fault on the Mk1's auto transmission, that isn't producing any DTC codes apart from a month or so ago, when it recorded a few but not now!. Which isn't helpful in diagnosing it.:sad: On that occasion, although I now can't remember exactly what they were,  they pointed to shift solenoids sticking: but surely if they're sticking, I should be getting codes at almost every scan.:unsure: 

I've just run Forscan again, and apart from unexpected fault with the rear intermittent wiper circuit on the GEM module.  There are no DTCs whatsoever:unsure:

This morinng, I had a very panicked Mum returning from her shopping trip in it, "it was screaming at me" and "there was red light on" and "another light by the speedometer but I can't remember which one"  Followed by "I thought the car might blow up!" 

So today am just browsing auto trader looking to get an XF S jaguar and just seeing prices for when am ready next year. Then I make the mistake of checking prices for bmw 2005 coupe 330petrols and low and behold the exact spec I have been looking for appears. Auto 330 coupe in metal grey and as well kitted as my Lexus. Ex showroom talk about sods law

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I don't like what today means for the tobacco industry...  I've had plain packs for a few weeks now, but the fact that there are NO traditional packs available now is a saddening thought.

Looks like I'll be buying a cigarette case soon!!

If the Government thinks they can control us like this then they have another thing coming!!!  This WON'T stop smokers and it WON'T stop manufacturers making cigarettes.  They can put that in their pipe and smoke it...  Well, maybe not! :smoke:

• Like 2

A few don't likes from tonight's trip to Tesco.

The phone holding woman in the red Audi, who ignored the mandatory stop at a crossroads and nearly took out my front offside:sad:

Brand new VW's littered all over the place in the car park, many were Yplac'd in some of the most stupid places.  It appears the VW main agent was doing a promotion in conjunction with Tesco. Spend £100+ in Tesco: get £1K+ of a brand new VW

The Merc SLK300 of all things, who drove slothfully up the relief road (50mph limit) at between 20-25mph, when there was too oncoming traffic to overtake. Yet sped up to to over 70mph, when it was clear and I'd positioned to pass.

I'm also having a woman dilemma:unsure: or rather a dilemma about a woman:unsure:

1 hour ago, GMX said:

A few don't likes from tonight's trip to Tesco.

The phone holding woman in the red Audi, who ignored the mandatory stop at a crossroads and nearly took out my front offside:sad:

Brand new VW's littered all over the place in the car park, many were Yplac'd in some of the most stupid places.  It appears the VW main agent was doing a promotion in conjunction with Tesco. Spend £100+ in Tesco: get £1K+ of a brand new VW

The Merc SLK300 of all things, who drove slothfully up the relief road (50mph limit) at between 20-25mph, when there was too oncoming traffic to overtake. Yet sped up to to over 70mph, when it was clear and I'd positioned to pass.

I'm also having a woman dilemma:unsure: or rather a dilemma about a woman:unsure:

Well, at least you have a dilemma Ghana, I can't even get that far!!

• Like 2

I don't like what today means for the tobacco industry...  I've had plain packs for a few weeks now, but the fact that there are NO traditional packs available now is a saddening thought.
Looks like I'll be buying a cigarette case soon!!
If the Government thinks they can control us like this then they have another thing coming!!!  This WON'T stop smokers and it WON'T stop manufacturers making cigarettes.  They can put that in their pipe and smoke it...  Well, maybe not! :smoke:

I know you say the packs are plain now but what exactly is on the boxes? Are they just blank boxes now or do they still have the manufacturers details on them? Out of interest, why would plain packs make you want to invest in a case? Surely the days of smoking being a status symbol are long gone and any one brand is no different than another. Is Regal more working class than L&B?

I'm not being smart asking the question, I'm genuinely interested in what difference the plain packs make to the end user.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Tar and nicotine info no longer listed, plain grey packs and large prominent anti-smoking messages / pictures.

Brand name is small and buried at the lower part of the pack.

Making the packs bland is not going to stop smokers, I guess they are trying to de-glamourise the idea of smoking for kids but they smoke the cigarette not the wrapping.

• Like 3

I'm a non smoker but my missus is a smoker (I buy her cigs btw)
As for the packets I prefer them. The labeling is better I think and I don't make mistakes by getting the wrong pack (my memory is krap too often) because the brand and type is clearly visible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tazzman600 said:

I'm a non smoker but my missus is a smoker (I buy her cigs btw)
As for the packets I prefer them. The labeling is better I think and I don't make mistakes by getting the wrong pack (my memory is krap too often) because the brand and type is clearly visible.

i packed up 16 years ago best thing I ever did and saved a fortune :smile:

17 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I know you say the packs are plain now but what exactly is on the boxes? Are they just blank boxes now or do they still have the manufacturers details on them? Out of interest, why would plain packs make you want to invest in a case? Surely the days of smoking being a status symbol are long gone and any one brand is no different than another. Is Regal more working class than L&B?

I'm not being smart asking the question, I'm genuinely interested in what difference the plain packs make to the end user.

My current pack has a picture of a laryngectomy stoma and a warning that "smoking causes mouth and throat cancer"!  Wow!!  My grandmother never smoked or drank and died of breast cancer at 56, and many friends and family have suffered cancer (including lung cancer) when they never touched a cigarette in their lives.  So don't tell me that smoking causes cancer.  It does NOT.  It may increase the risk, but it is not the only factor in the disease.

Regal is actually more expensive than L&B, but neither are good quality cigarettes.  I don't judge smokers for what they smoke, but do take into account the brands they buy, the same as you would judge somebody who drinks Tesco Value cider as opposed to expensive red wine.  Of course you will think more of the latter.  Same with JPS as opposed to B&H or Marlboro.

I'm buying a Marlboro Red case (designed like the traditional packs with NO health warnings) so I can feel proud of the brand I smoke and in a way promote them, as opposed to being reminded of our nanny state Government every time I pull out a plain/health warning covered pack.

17 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Tar and nicotine info no longer listed, plain grey packs and large prominent anti-smoking messages / pictures.

Brand name is small and buried at the lower part of the pack.

Making the packs bland is not going to stop smokers, I guess they are trying to de-glamourise the idea of smoking for kids but they smoke the cigarette not the wrapping.

Which begs the question, when plain labeling for alcohol comes into force (which IT WILL), will they stop displaying the ABV too? 

Absolutely ridiculous!!!

In my view they should curb drinking and remove cheap booze from sale.

Most of my work involves picking up the pieces due to drink induced stupidity.

Hospital A&E departments are overrun most nights with drunks and their resultant injuries.

Smokers pay 82% tax on every pack they buy of which most goes directly to the NHS to fund cancer treatments (all treatments not just smoking related cancers) so if they banned smoking altogether then cancer treatments in the UK would be unfundable.

150,000 hospital admissions and 15-22,000 deaths nationally are associated with alcohol each year
The cost to the NHS of treating the chronic and acute effects of alcohol misuse is up to £1.7 billion per year (12% of all NHS spend)

Smokers give money to the NHS, drinkers cost the NHS.

So who are the resource drains here?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

In my view they should curb drinking and remove cheap booze from sale.

Most of my work involves picking up the pieces due to drink induced stupidity.

Hospital A&E departments are overrun most nights with drunks and their resultant injuries.

Smokers pay 82% tax on every pack they buy of which most goes directly to the NHS to fund cancer treatments (all treatments not just smoking related cancers) so if they banned smoking altogether then cancer treatments in the UK would be unfundable.

150,000 hospital admissions and 15-22,000 deaths nationally are associated with alcohol each year
The cost to the NHS of treating the chronic and acute effects of alcohol misuse is up to £1.7 billion per year (12% of all NHS spend)

Smokers give money to the NHS, drinkers cost the NHS.

So who are the resource drains here?

Absolutely!

• Like 2

I don't like that today has been a total pain in the derriere.

Dog had to go to vets again after getting his bloodwork results back and needing a chest x-ray, suffering from dilated cardiomyopathy and refusing to eat and being extremely exercise intolerant.

£550 and counting.

Coming back from the vets to find a flooded bathroom where grey water has backed up from the drain ruining a new hall carpet and bathroom floor, so waited 4 hours for an emergency plumber.

Still needing to keep the other 2 dogs occupied while having to carry the poorly one into the yard for ablutions is wearing me out.

I picked a hell of a week to take leave.

TBH, lucky i did or it would have been chaos.

• Like 2

Back in the 80's when I started work my 2nd job was with the then biggest concrete producer in the world. I came across a guy who was close to retirement. He was as fit as a fiddle. From the age of 14 he smoked Capstan full strength cigs. 40 a day all of his life. He was as strong as an ox. I was in my 20's and he was fitter than me (I was then body building )
Cigs aren't bad so longs as they're proper cigs like capstan.
Anyway. Good post Stoney Clive.

• Like 1

My current pack has a picture of a laryngectomy stoma and a warning that "smoking causes mouth and throat cancer"!  Wow!!  My grandmother never smoked or drank and died of breast cancer at 56, and many friends and family have suffered cancer (including lung cancer) when they never touched a cigarette in their lives.  So don't tell me that smoking causes cancer.  It does NOT.  It may increase the risk, but it is not the only factor in the disease.
Regal is actually more expensive than L&B, but neither are good quality cigarettes.  I don't judge smokers for what they smoke, but do take into account the brands they buy, the same as you would judge somebody who drinks Tesco Value cider as opposed to expensive red wine.  Of course you will think more of the latter.  Same with JPS as opposed to B&H or Marlboro.
I'm buying a Marlboro Red case (designed like the traditional packs with NO health warnings) so I can feel proud of the brand I smoke and in a way promote them, as opposed to being reminded of our nanny state Government every time I pull out a plain/health warning covered pack.

While I respect what you say I don't think I can agree with some of it. Smoking is a leading cause of some cancers, it's also a contributory factor in others and unrelated in most. It is a modifiable cause though but maybe not the sole cause. Unfortunately, as everyone is only too aware, you do not have to be a smoker to get what we all assume are smoking related cancers. Passive smoking has been proven to be as bad, if not worse than actively smoking in some instances. That's a whole different debate though. I can't relate to being 'proud' of smoking a particular brand or drinking a particular drink. I do like to wear nice clothes and have nice things in my house, drive a nice car but maybe that's because I'm a bit materialistic lol

I completely agree that putting pictures of diseased lungs and stomas on packets will not deter the vast majority of people, nor will it make it any less attractive to people thinking about starting up. Everyone knows the risks involved same as we know the risks of flying, of climbing trees and crossing the road at a green light but we all do it. In my job I never preach to people about smoking, nor do I judge anyone or complain about someone smoking (unless they are standing at the hospital doors with a drip in one arm and a cigarette in the other hand). I was the only one in the family that encouraged my nan to carry on smoking in her final years, it was the one thing she enjoyed and if she were to have stopped then the effects of quitting would have been far worse than the renal carcinoma killing her.

I actually don't see the point in putting the warnings on the packet, if seeing/knowing someone who is suffering the disease in the pictures doesn't put you off then a picture certainly isn't. It's not as if the packets were ever particularly enticing anyway, well all except the Lucky Strike packs for some reason I was always drawn to the brand lol

spend a day with my partner at her work(hospice) and just maybe some may think again about the risks of smoking and other vices that can raise the risk of cancers.

• Like 1

spend a day with my partner at her work(hospice) and just maybe some may think again about the risks of smoking and other vices that can raise the risk of cancers.

I've worked in Palliative care during my career so I know what you mean. However we all have the 'it won't happen to me' attitude, myself included. I'm thankful I have brittle asthma, if I even tried to smoke I'd end up in the back of an ambulance quicker than I could exhale. I do think people forget that smoking is an addiction and isn't something that you can just stop on a whim (for most people anyway)

• Like 1

I don't like that Pipper stood on a stray bee on the stairs, neither a pleasant experience for Pipper nor the bee:sad:

I would've thought the plain packs make a whole lot easier for the black marketeers/smugglers to pass off sub-standard cigarettes as premium brands.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GMX said:

I don't like that Pipper stood on a stray bee on the stairs, neither a pleasant experience for Pipper nor the bee:sad:

I would've thought the plain packs make a whole lot easier for the black marketeers/smugglers to pass off sub-standard cigarettes as premium brands.

It will, but the Government don't care about that, or are too retarded to realise.

• Like 1

I don't like getting extreme feelings of fatigue today. This is despite sleeping > 7 hours last night, and the night before - don't know what's wrong with me.

Due to this, I stupidly walked into a female employee at Waitrose (and stepped on her foot), making her wince in pain. Profusely apologized, and she told me not to worry about it, but didn't make me feel any better lol.

Arrived home, decided to skip the gym as a result, and took a 20 minute nap.

Some days I swear I feel like I'm twice my age. :unsure:

• Like 1