Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

idiots freezing in road when emergency services coming WTF!!! 👊👊👊

example: police car comes from behind you move over to the left the opp side do same then they go in middle simple,if it's slow flowing traffic you can still move over and still toddle along to keep the traffic flow moving. No they freeze in panic n make it harder.

police coming from ahead you move over n other side same if slow flow traffic you can still move whilst to the side n the police ect can still get through the middle.

NOOOO people freeze n stop there cars even if moved over which stops all traffic anybody see my point or am I just getting old now n grumpy lol

• Like 1

idiots freezing in road when emergency services coming WTF!!! [emoji109][emoji109][emoji109]
example: police car comes from behind you move over to the left the opp side do same then they go in middle simple,if it's slow flowing traffic you can still move over and still toddle along to keep the traffic flow moving. No they freeze in panic n make it harder.
police coming from ahead you move over n other side same if slow flow traffic you can still move whilst to the side n the police ect can still get through the middle.
NOOOO people freeze n stop there cars even if moved over which stops all traffic anybody see my point or am I just getting old now n grumpy lol

I can absolutely see your point, but you're probably old and grumpy like me lol. IIRC then it's Germany that are the best at making way for emergency vehicles. The one thing that causes me a bit of a dilemma is if you are at the front of a queue of standing traffic at a red light then 'legally' you should stand fast and wait for the light to change, unless you are instructed to pass through by a police officer. And even then the police officer has to be out of the vehicle waving you through. However 'morally' I would move as much as is safe in the quickest time possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thanks for seeing my point and pointing out am old n grumpy too lol.

if am at the front in red lights I don't I make the opportunity to get through lol in a safe way of course lol.

• Like 1

Well...not the best of weeks really.  Especially not compared to last week.

Car went for service & MOT on Monday...failed!

Rear trailing arm bushes perished - more like almost absent.  Motordepot wanted £420 to replace the bushes (well... £15 of that was for a numberplate light that was out...that now works...I slapped the boot lid just above it lol).

...yeah...I don't have that sort of money laying around!  Quick Google & eBay search later...reckon it's DIY'able for under £150 - including the "special tool"

"Don't even need to remove the road wheels" the video's say...the tool is a modified screw-press that doesn't quite fit the new bushes.  Also, the video's ain't shot using a car with 80k on the clock and badly perished bushes.

To say it's been a *insert innapropriate names here* of a job is an understatement.

3 days, and I've been at it...only got 1 done!

• Like 2

I've heard of cases where drivers have been sent fines through the post for going over the white line and being caught by one of those cameras, and on appeal it is upheld! The emergency vehicle is meant to wait in line with their lights and siren switched off until the light is green if it can not safely progress. Can you imagine being the one to make a fire engine wait for 30s while the lights changed only to arrive home behind it and watching your house burn, then hearing them say "if only we were 30s earlier"

• Like 2

You may have been at it for 3 days @SeanW but you will have saved yourself near on £300 so I'd say it will be worth it. Maybe the 2nd will be easier now you know the process?

Jonro2009 I never knew that about turning lights off ect n have to wait, that must be frustrating for them mind if they have to do that.

plus there not supposed to be doing to much over the speed limit either.

Ohhh n seanw bet the last one a bugger to do lol sorry mate had to 

I've heard of cases where drivers have been sent fines through the post for going over the white line and being caught by one of those cameras, and on appeal it is upheld! The emergency vehicle is meant to wait in line with their lights and siren switched off until the light is green if it can not safely progress. Can you imagine being the one to make a fire engine wait for 30s while the lights changed only to arrive home behind it and watching your house burn, then hearing them say "if only we were 30s earlier"

Where I live, the level crossings in the centre of town are down for about 40 minutes of every hour during the day and they are always down for at least 2 or 3 minutes before the train(s) passes through. We often wonder how many people have died because their ambulance was waiting for half a dozen people who wanted to go to Adwick...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

You may have been at it for 3 days @SeanW but you will have saved yourself near on £300 so I'd say it will be worth it. Maybe the 2nd will be easier now you know the process?

Ohh I hope so!!

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Ohhh n seanw bet the last one a bugger to do lol sorry mate had to 

...but I suspect this may be the case lol

The emergency vehicle is meant to hold back with their siren switched off until the light is green if it can not safely progress seems to be the local thing.

Different organisations may have slightly different policies - certainly appears here that the police and fire don't turn them off, the ambulances seem to though.

Jonro2009 I never knew that about turning lights off ect n have to wait, that must be frustrating for them mind if they have to do that.
plus there not supposed to be doing to much over the speed limit either.

To be quite honest at a red light people are 'hopefully' moving out of the way before the vehicle gets there so technically they haven't forced a driver to do anything. In that situation if there is a gap then the emergency vehicle will 100% take it, and rightly so.

As I said previously, Germany are the pros at this. When faced with a traffic jam on a section of dual carriageway all the cars in lane 1 move to the left and those in lane 2 move right creating a clear way right down the middle. This is done 'just in case' a gap is needed.

The idiot not doing it right may be a British tourist, or just unaware of anyone else on the road when he shuts his BMW doors.

• Like 1

The emergency vehicle is meant to hold back with their siren switched off until the light is green if it can not safely progress seems to be the local thing.

Different organisations may have slightly different policies - certainly appears here that the police and fire don't turn them off, the ambulances seem to though.

I think they are all meant to do what the ambulances do. The police don't because well, they're police and Trumpton are a law unto themselves (and I wouldn't want them any other way) so they charge on. I know what I'd prefer if they were responding to my emergency and that's the way I always think about it.

• Like 1

Insurance companies

• Like 1

Yeah you got sommat there Phil. I'm moving very soon. Car insurance due same date as house completion date. Admiral car insurance quote one of the highest Yet cheapest/best value on house insurance.
Words fail me about that.
My current insurance esure has tripled the car quote. Told them where they could go.
There's a website that shows insurance groups for postcodes. Total rubbish. The area of Leeds I'm in is same group as the Rochdale area I'm moving to according to that site. Not according to esure. Nice one Hastings for a reasonable quote.

Well...I'm 3/4's of the way done...

1st side all re-built (except 1 bolt - dropped it somewhere and can't find it - chuffin' thing is 6" long...)

2nd side eventually got the collar for the old bush out after shed loads of heating with a new blow torch (nobody stocks gas cylinders to fit the old one...new one is a bit umm...warmer than the old one!!)

Still needed a good thwack with a hammer on the top of the "special tool".  Done mostly out of frustration...but it just went lol

Now away on a course teaching this week - so car is going to have to sit on my partners drive with no OS trailing arm or wheel. 

Car would have been useful tomorrow - need another tow-car!!

• Like 2

The A351 again, it was far worse tonight than it had been on Friday afternoon, and there weren't any commuters about tonight!:sad:

Almost an hour to go 4 miles, on what is supposed to the main route to the Purbecks:sad:

On 05/08/2017 at 10:46 AM, Micro said:

I was under impression emergency vehicles had transponders aboard that communicate with the traffic lights, causing the lights to change for their benefit and put everyone else on red.  So, this situation would only arise for a few seconds.

6 hours ago, GMX said:

I was under impression emergency vehicles had transponders aboard that communicate with the traffic lights, causing the lights to change for their benefit and put everyone else on red.  So, this situation would only arise for a few seconds.

Something like that was used in the states (would react to the flashing strobe frequency), but I don't think the lights or emergency vehicles here have that (Clive?). They just seem to run their own timed sequence (although during the early hours most of the lights are set to react to vehicles approaching anyway).

• Like 1

On 05/08/2017 at 5:18 PM, Phil21185 said:

Insurance companies

The Royal bananas this year added £130 onto my premium, and after a magic phone call that dropped to a £60 increase. I am going to ring around as it's up for renewal soon and the comparison sites seem not to be able to deal with a "Notification only, no claim made from own insurance" event... Cheapest I got was £444 (from my current insurer, which my current insurer beat anyway when I rang them), next was £600 and the next was £2k...

Driving 8 years, 8 years NCD, 2 notifications (non fault) and 1 windscreen claim. It's gone bonkers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Micro said:

The Royal bananas this year added £130 onto my premium, and after a magic phone call that dropped to a £60 increase. I am going to ring around as it's up for renewal soon and the comparison sites seem not to be able to deal with a "Notification only, no claim made from own insurance" event... Cheapest I got was £444 (from my current insurer, which my current insurer beat anyway when I rang them), next was £600 and the next was £2k...

Driving 8 years, 8 years NCD, 2 notifications (non fault) and 1 windscreen claim. It's gone bonkers.

I usually do it the other way around, get quotes from other companies first via Go Compare etc and then go back to your company and see if they can match the lowest one. In my experience they can usually get close. 

Insurance is like that, ridiculous! It's a postcode lottery too. Unfortunately non fault notifications do go against you. Apparently they then feel you are a higher risk, it's madness.

• Like 1

some of the rules are madness.:ohmy:

When it takes you days to work out why your iPhone kept going off wifi when locked and found it.

A dam App was being very bad,i set it back to as a new phone and put 5 apps in a time and got to 1 app,dam thing.

...............Thanks for the help and advice on this issue on other topics i started...................

• Like 1

People using the last teabag and not refilling the storage jar! 

People using the last teabag and not refilling the storage jar! 

People leaving used teabags in the sink, and people removing a teabag from the cup with a teaspoon and then using said teaspoon in the sugar!

How many people actually use a teapot nowadays?

• Like 1