Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I don't like Vicki Bulter Henderson finding a Mk2.5 panther black ST3 for under £4k on Fifth Gear last night...how!? 😮 

Must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the new series of fifth gear at all...I'd rather watch repeats of old Top Gear tbh!

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't like Vicki Bulter Henderson finding a Mk2.5 panther black ST3 for under £4k on Fifth Gear last night...how!? 😮 

Must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the new series of fifth gear at all...I'd rather watch repeats of old Top Gear tbh!

Most likely she didn't really; they possibly marked down the value to allow for further depreciation by the time the episode showed on television to ensure people would still think "wow that's cheap" 

11 hours ago, Lenny said:

Most likely she didn't really; they possibly marked down the value to allow for further depreciation by the time the episode showed on television to ensure people would still think "wow that's cheap" 

They're still worth twice that though unfortunately.  The other cars she was comparing against were a Mk5 Golf GTi and a Mk8(?) Civic Type R, both of those can be had for around £4-5k easily but not a facelift ST225.  Though I have wondered if they were including pre-facelift cars to show a lower price...bit misleading if that's the case though.  I'd have bought one by now if they were that cheap! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

Came back from holiday from Turkey at 4:30 in the morning 😎. Came from 28 degree sunny weather to a cold rainy 10 degrees weather. Such a nice peaceful place which I wish the UK is. Just about all people are kind and caring towards you and others and I don't think people get mad at each other when driving. I'd see people cut in front of others or overtake tapping the horn (in the right use) and the other drivers don't care. In the UK people would likely brake check you if you horn at them. 

Sand is now dry also 🤣

@TomsFocus would you recommend an ST? I'm starting to like them now including them in white. Here's an example of one going for £2195 with 105k miles. Was looking at common faults and I saw things like starting issues (which would have been fixed by taking the car to ford) boiling PAS fluid, stiff gear changes when cold (which I occasionally got in my zetec s) and jerky running from the engine when cold. Didn't see anything about gearbox or headgasket so kind of makes it less worrying. 

Screenshot_20180923-111151.png

9 hours ago, zain611 said:

Came back from holiday from Turkey at 4:30 in the morning 😎. Came from 28 degree sunny weather to a cold rainy 10 degrees weather. Such a nice peaceful place which I wish the UK is. Just about all people are kind and caring towards you and others and I don't think people get mad at each other when driving. I'd see people cut in front of others or overtake tapping the horn (in the right use) and the other drivers don't care. In the UK people would likely brake check you if you horn at them. 

Sand is now dry also 🤣

Ireland is quite peaceful like that too just thought I'd say ☺

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

@TomsFocus would you recommend an ST? I'm starting to like them now including them in white. Here's an example of one going for £2195 with 105k miles. Was looking at common faults and I saw things like starting issues (which would have been fixed by taking the car to ford) boiling PAS fluid, stiff gear changes when cold (which I occasionally got in my zetec s) and jerky running from the engine when cold. Didn't see anything about gearbox or headgasket so kind of makes it less worrying. 

Screenshot_20180923-111151.png

Yeah I'd recommend the ST150, good fun and still look cool today.  That one seems quite expensive though, I got less than that for an 08 with 110k 2 years ago, should be able to get one closer to £1500 these days...though I'd want one with the options of climate and auto lights & wipers if I had another.  The gearboxes can fail on them but headgaskets don't often.  They're also chain driven so no cambelt to worry about.  

• Like 1

I don't like going to the petrol station earlier! Not for the reason you're all thinking although £1.37 a litre does smart a wee bit!

Pulled up, fuelled up, went in to pay. Mate of mine was working behind the counter. Having a wee catch-up with him and glanced out the window, car behind mine waiting for fuel. There's 4 lanes and 8 pumps with petrol and diesel at each pump underneath the canopy as well as a diesel pump for trucks etc There was NO-ONE else at the pumps, so this muppet had a choice of at least 7 others but had to use the only lane in use! 

• Like 3

I don't like......

1. Cutting the grass for the last time this year and putting the mower away.

2. Putting the garden benches in the garage.

3. Putting the thicker duvet on the bed.

Winter's coming! Come back summer, all is forgiven, please forget what I said about it being too hot 😟

• Like 1

@Lenny I have a question to ask you as I know you have a technical DIY mind. I was looking at pictures of my fish tank cabinet and I noticed just about all have a centre piece going down the centre of the cabinet. Mine did not come with a centre but doesn't look like the same design of cabinet I always see online. 

Would you say the cabinet is suitable to hold around 130kg of weight from the tank above with or without a centre piece going down the middle of the cabinet. I have some spare pieces of wood which was used for making the wall cabinets so could use that to place on the middle of the cabinet making it more reinforced. 

DSC_0539.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zain611 said:

@Lenny I have a question to ask you as I know you have a technical DIY mind. I was looking at pictures of my fish tank cabinet and I noticed just about all have a centre piece going down the centre of the cabinet. Mine did not come with a centre but doesn't look like the same design of cabinet I always see online. 

Would you say the cabinet is suitable to hold around 130kg of weight from the tank above with or without a centre piece going down the middle of the cabinet. I have some spare pieces of wood which was used for making the wall cabinets so could use that to place on the middle of the cabinet making it more reinforced. 

Thanks for the confidence boost mate, 

The size of tank you have; may not be wide enough to require support in the middle although I would like to see something there in case it ever got a knock from the side the integrity of the structure currently relies on the four corners 

You could reinforce the structure by purchasing four "square wooden banister's" there designed for stairs but are solid pine and can take a lot of weight they don't cost much neither around 2-3 pounds each also a small sheet of 20mm ply wood, which may cost around 10-15 pounds 

I've used some wooden banister's and 20mm ply to create a stand to hold socket strips in the attic keeping them up clear of the installation as well as allowing plenty of ventilation around the low voltage plug 

IMG_47cdu3_zps0ecfb8uq.thumb.jpg.a20301d8b01222f0a654ecd990fe1c55.jpg

20180330_112418_zpsz4t0a33e.thumb.jpg.03e6b17f8aa59e3ddc7c76f882dfb6b7.jpg

20180409_144300_zpsekdjbhab.thumb.jpg.b1910df9e5b175b507f51fa5390e5ef5.jpg

Considering the money you invested in to the aquarium and the fish; it's not a lot of extra money to reinforce the inital investment 

With the sheet of plywood fitted inside the top of the existing cabinet and four banister's fitted inside the existing corners to support the top it will be very solid 

Alternativly; you could just put in a centre support using a small strip of skirting board sized wood and two square wood banister's to create a centre support which looks much like this off cut of PVC which i have here 👇

20180924_081927.thumb.jpg.eef684e3c8bd503aca874817907ebc7a.jpg

Its also important to insure the contact between the ground and the base of the cabinet are in good contact because if it's got four little stubs then they may be best removed to allow the base sit on the floor for better support.

Alternatively and this option would probably cost you around the same amount of cash overall but require less work to build; would be to purchase a four section "kallax" cabinet from Ikea there are small doors available which fit the sections to house the aquarium equipment then you still have three other sections for personal storage box or drawer inserts.

I've got our tank on one for two years now and it's not budged 

Unit link: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/shelving-units-systems/kallax-shelving-unit-oak-effect-art-70307493/

Cabinet insert: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/shelving-units-systems/kallax-insert-with-door-white-art-20278167/ 

Drawer insert: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/shelving-units-systems/kallax-insert-with-2-drawers-white-art-70286645/ 

ikea-kallax-collection__1364309081836-s21.jpg.33dcd8cb398af3c07fb974b179643045.jpg

20170501_142256_zpscodq2wtn_edit_1493652165141_zpsmzke8pt3.thumb.jpg.5a87d1af7b8df66691232661329021b9.jpg

I've since moved it in to the kitchen, don't notice the Algae as much next to the Citrus Green paint 😅

20180924_092802.thumb.jpg.cf40b8932114acaf6f5cf46f4effa923.jpg

• Like 1

I don't like how cold it's suddenly got...  We only had about a week of a comfortable temperature in between this and the heat! :unsure:  

• Like 2

Thanks @Lenny I have spare pieces of wood lieing around which was used to make the wall cabinets in my room. Can use that to reinforce the centre of the cabinet.

You can see in the picture this is the wood. It's a dark oak. The wood in the middle is the front and on the left is the side which I think is about 1.5cm thick. There's a longer piece in the garage my dad will use for the cabinet. He said he'll cut and drill it in. DSC_0543.thumb.JPG.dc64bd03965f54340e6e1afe8539cc2f.JPG

Heres just a sneak peak on what's going on in my room. Bought an AC unit and dad put on the pipe covers and wall remote. Just need to get someone to plumb in the pipes from the unit to the outside unit. You can also see a little hole on the left which is where a wall speaker will go. Just doing little bits before the carpets arrive on Wednesday. DSC_0541.thumb.JPG.6fe047c21ed61c61f6169baa270de525.JPG

Heres this wood I got for the tank. I'm just getting worried if it's good to leave it out. Excuse my tanned arm also 😂. Hopefully sort out the cabinet before the carpets arrive so then I can set up the tank and place the fish in after 2 days of it running. DSC_0545.thumb.JPG.a0bc2e1d984cb0b0a4845f01f00835b8.JPG

@TomsFocus I felt it most. When I stepped out the plane yesterday at 2 in the morning I instantly just was shivering to a point my mum was getting worried. Was a big jump from 28 degrees sunny weather to 10 degrees cold damp weather here in England. 

41 minutes ago, zain611 said:

@TomsFocus I felt it most. When I stepped out the plane yesterday at 2 in the morning I instantly just was shivering to a point my mum was getting worried. Was a big jump from 28 degrees sunny weather to 10 degrees cold damp weather here in England. 

Yeah I can imagine!  It was a sudden cold snap here, Thursday was still quite warm (not 28c though lol), but Friday felt really icy cold literally after just a few hours difference and yesterday I had to put a jumper on and even put the bathroom heater on for a bit.  Think there may have been a frost this morning as well, very heavy dew if not. 😮  Hope we're not in for another beast from the East lol.   

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah I can imagine!  It was a sudden cold snap here, Thursday was still quite warm (not 28c though lol), but Friday felt really icy cold literally after just a few hours difference and yesterday I had to put a jumper on and even put the bathroom heater on for a bit.  Think there may have been a frost this morning as well, very heavy dew if not. 😮  Hope we're not in for another beast from the East lol.   

From looking at the weather forecast it looks to get to about 20 degrees from Wednesday and no forecast for rain this and next week. Hopefully gives me comfort to clean the car sometime this week. 

3 hours ago, zain611 said:

Thanks @Lenny I have spare pieces of wood lieing around which was used to make the wall cabinets in my room. Can use that to reinforce the centre of the cabinet.

You can see in the picture this is the wood. It's a dark oak. The wood in the middle is the front and on the left is the side which I think is about 1.5cm thick. There's a longer piece in the garage my dad will use for the cabinet. He said he'll cut and drill it in. 

Heres just a sneak peak on what's going on in my room. Bought an AC unit and dad put on the pipe covers and wall remote. Just need to get someone to plumb in the pipes from the unit to the outside unit. You can also see a little hole on the left which is where a wall speaker will go. Just doing little bits before the carpets arrive on Wednesday. 

Heres this wood I got for the tank. I'm just getting worried if it's good to leave it out. Excuse my tanned arm also 😂. Hopefully sort out the cabinet before the carpets arrive so then I can set up the tank and place the fish in after 2 days of it running. 

Will be fairly solid after the extra bits have been drilled in there to reinforce it mate,

The Air Conditioning in your room looks excellent Very comfortable, Speakers on the wall saves space too, I've put a set of marine line 6.5" Speakers in the ceiling of our bathroom, there connected to the HiFi in the bedroom, I've put a switch on the stereo can switch one set of Speakers off 

I think the wood piece for inside the tank will look great when it's in there along with the stones and there's a light shining on it 👍

I don't like sanding the stairs 😓

Small areas too tight to get the orbital sander in to and not worth purchasing a smaller sander as I'm only doing this once thankfully 😅

20180924_124752.thumb.jpg.f9e2c2515a4525b8e0a7c080181e44ea.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

Will be fairly solid after the extra bits have been drilled in there to reinforce it mate,

The Air Conditioning in your room looks excellent Very comfortable, speakers on the wall saves space too, I've put a set of marine line 6.5" speakers in the ceiling of our bathroom, there connected to the HiFi in the bedroom, I've put a switch on the stereo can switch one set of speakers off 

I think the wood piece for inside the tank will look great when it's in there along with the stones and there's a light shining on it 👍

I don't like sanding the stairs 😓

Small areas too tight to get the orbital sander in to and not worth purchasing a smaller sander as I'm only doing this once thankfully 😅

20180924_124752.thumb.jpg.f9e2c2515a4525b8e0a7c080181e44ea.jpg

When my dad's friend plastered the wall my dad used those machine sanders to smoothen any rough areas. He used the hoover and kept it near the sander to pick any dust which fell from the sanding. I'd hold the hoover whilst he was holding the sander and hoover end when we were sanding the top of the walls 👍

Could look at sanding by hand in cramped areas and keep a towel with you to stop any dust from falling. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, zain611 said:

When my dad's friend plastered the wall my dad used those machine sanders to smoothen any rough areas. He used the hoover and kept it near the sander to pick any dust which fell from the sanding. I'd hold the hoover whilst he was holding the sander and hoover end when we were sanding the top of the walls 👍

Could look at sanding by hand in cramped areas and keep a towel with you to stop any dust from falling. 

Good advice and no mess with you, 

I'm all finished now, but dust all over the stairs, the wife likes cleaning though 😅 she's in the kitchen at the minute, will be like an episode of Police Camera Action when they send in the dogs, 

The missus goes running at the dirt like the dogs do the criminal 😂

• Like 1

When you by a cheap house phone with a nice few functions and this happens,very helpful instructions.

20180924_144408.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't like hearing a bird stuck in our woodburner flue 🙄

I have to wait until it's dropped as far as the fire itself and take out all the plates and open the window and hope it flies straight out rather than flying all around the room! Must get a bird proof cowl. 

I don't like seeing a loose dog this morning, didn't see anyone after it and followed it as far as I could, another few mins after this video but then lost it at a junction, seemed to be the Usain Bolt of dogs tbh.  It's probably been hit by now, but is there anywhere I can 'report' a loose dog?  Obviously its not a police emergency, it doesn't appear to be dangerous and has a collar on so don't think it's stray either... :unsure:

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't like seeing a loose dog this morning, didn't see anyone after it and followed it as far as I could, another few mins after this video but then lost it at a junction, seemed to be the Usain Bolt of dogs tbh.  It's probably been hit by now, but is there anywhere I can 'report' a loose dog?  Obviously its not a police emergency, it doesn't appear to be dangerous and has a collar on so don't think it's stray either... :unsure:

Most councils have a dog warden or dog unit who can be contacted. It's usually done through a main switchboard. 

You could look up your council and see if they have a dog warden as part of their services.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

Most councils have a dog warden or dog unit who can be contacted. It's usually done through a main switchboard. 

You could look up your council and see if they have a dog warden as part of their services.

Thanks Nick.  It's under a different council to mine but they do appear to have a dog warden so have emailed them and linked the video in case they can link it to a known lost dog in the area. :smile: 

• Like 1