Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I don't like seeing this Panther Black ST3 popping up locally within my budget...  

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809301029359

Much cheaper than a facelift 1.0 Titanium and not far off a PFL 1.0 Titanium X...  A lot of miles but are the 2.0 less likely to spontaneously combust?  :unsure: 

I shouldn't even be considering an ST with the running costs, someone else buy it before I get carried away! :laugh: 

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't like seeing this Panther Black ST3 popping up locally within my budget...  

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809301029359

Much cheaper than a facelift 1.0 Titanium and not far off a PFL 1.0 Titanium X...  A lot of miles but are the 2.0 less likely to spontaneously combust?  :unsure: 

I shouldn't even be considering an ST with the running costs, someone else buy it before I get carried away! :laugh: 

Why not go for it 😂. I'm surprised also on the stats. It has near enough the same claimed mpg but is £20 cheaper on tax and 1.4 secs to 60mph quicker than the mk6 fiesta ST. 

Just now, zain611 said:

Why not go for it 😂. I'm surprised also on the stats. It has rear enough to same claimed mpg but is £20 cheaper on tax and 1.4 secs to 60mph quicker than the mk6 fiesta ST. 

Yeah, that's technology for you!  Don't forget the 2.0 EcoBoost is nearly a decade newer than the ST150 engine, plus it has a turbo and direct injection etc lol.  But those running costs are still a way off the 1.0 EcoBoost or the diesels that I've got used to now...  :unsure: 

I also don't know just how smooth the suspension might be...  I've driven a Titanium with 18s now and that wasn't too bad...but 18s with ST suspension...hmm...

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, that's technology for you!  Don't forget the 2.0 EcoBoost is nearly a decade newer than the ST150 engine, plus it has a turbo and direct injection etc lol.  But those running costs are still a way off the 1.0 EcoBoost or the diesels that I've got used to now...  :unsure: 

I also don't know just how smooth the suspension might be...  I've driven a Titanium with 18s now and that wasn't too bad...but 18s with ST suspension...hmm...

Yeah that's true with the suspension. Have to say though my uncle has a new golf GTD which his brother has leased and that has a really nice ride and that's with 18s on so just shows the sports models aren't always harsh on ride comfort. 

If I do get a mk6 ST I think I will hate seeing the trip computer say I'm averaging around 30mpg when at the moment it says 50mpg on my 1.6 TDCI. Hopefully though in 2 years time my mileage might drop a considerable bit as I won't be driving to uni then and a petrol won't be a massive difference on running costs

Yeah, I know...I think I'll have to leave the trip computer on 'range' as MPG will be too depressing haha!

The other car I've been looking at lately is a Civic...  This one is basically equivalent to a Titanium X plus full leathers, not many about in this spec.  Decent running costs for a 1.8 petrol as well.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808310010475

I've read reviews of the suspension being a bit firm on them as well though unfortunately! :sad: 

• Like 1

The Honda seems a lot of money for a 12 plate

What about a Mercedes C class? They are cheap for what they are. My dad is currently changing the rear door on one has someone vandalised it whilst his friend went on holiday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iantt said:

The Honda seems a lot of money for a 12 plate

I agree, but when compared to 1.6 EcoBoost TitX with full leathers and the same mileage it isn't far off.  Honda's do cost more than Euro stuff which is why I've not had one so far...but if they're reliable it might be worth paying the extra...  I did work experience at Honda when I was at school (over a decade ago lol) and it was just servicing and tyres, nothing majorly broken came in in that time.  Was a different story at the Ford work experience with college lol.  I know all of that was a while ago though so may be different now.

Tbh I still don't really know what to go for...I still can't really decide on a budget yet lol.

14 hours ago, zain611 said:

What about a volvo V40? Here's an example of a SE one but does look to have decent specs. The engine stats aren't bad also. I think you might find that good. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807318985289

That doesn't look bad tbf...I seem to have completely missed those newer V40s.  I had an old S40 a few years ago which was awful so maybe I'm inadvertently blocking out all Volvos now! :laugh: 

Still expensive for a 62 plate 'normal' car though, doubt I'll even get £4k for my 62 plate Golf.

I really don't like insurance...  On comparison sites there's only about £30 extra for the ST250 over the Golf...yet after actually asking my insurance it's an extra £200 a year. 😮  So that's out then. :sad: 

Another potential idea...  MK4 Focus...I mean Mazda 3... :whistling:

This particular one is too expensive as it's main dealer and very low mileage but the spec and running costs look good.

However, I'm struggling to understand how they've managed to restrict a 2.0 petrol so much as to only get 118bhp from it... 😮 Anyone know about these engines?  Seems daft to fit a heavy engine for such a small amount of power, will make it nose heavy and waste fuel/emmisions lugging unnecessary excess engine around surely!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809260873609 

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Another potential idea...  MK4 Focus...I mean Mazda 3... :whistling:

This particular one is too expensive as it's main dealer and very low mileage but the spec and running costs look good.

However, I'm struggling to understand how they've managed to restrict a 2.0 petrol so much as to only get 118bhp from it... 😮 Anyone know about these engines?  Seems daft to fit a heavy engine for such a small amount of power, will make it nose heavy and waste fuel/emmisions lugging unnecessary excess engine around surely!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809260873609 

its the mazda skyactive g engine, must be good on fuel as its only £30 tax. in the us theres produces 155bhp and other markets 162bhp! 

• Like 1

Id hope it's good on fuel if it's only making that power! :laugh:

Wonder why they've restricted so much over here.

On an unrelated note, just seen on FB my mates 4 year old Transit has just broken down and left him stranded, engine appears to have seized...  They really don't make them like they used to!! :lol:

I don't like earworms! Every now and then a song sticks in my head, I may not even like it as in this latest case. Had to put Planet Rock on to try and clear it 👹

• Like 2

Seen a white ST on auto trader. Looks okay although I'm put off the mods it has on it such as aftermarket wheels etc. The thing which got me is it has a boost gauge which I don't think makes sense to have on a 2.0 NA engine 🤣. I hope they become a little more cheaper in 2 years time. 

Screenshot_20181005-131616.png

25 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Seen a white ST on auto trader. Looks okay although I'm put off the mods it has on it such as aftermarket wheels etc. The thing which got me is it has a boost gauge which I don't think makes sense to have on a 2.0 NA engine 🤣. I hope they become a little more cheaper in 2 years time. 

Screenshot_20181005-131616.png

I like those Team Dynamic PR3s tbf, each to thier own though!

I wonder if this one has a turbo conversion?  Boost gauge is pretty daft if not! :laugh:

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I like those Team Dynamic PR3s tbf, each to thier own though!

I wonder if this one has a turbo conversion?  Boost gauge is pretty daft if not! :laugh:

I checked the description and no say of a turbo conversion. If it did have it it would be a bargain. There is a ST500 advertising for around £2500 and that's with about 87k miles which is really cheap. To be honest I don't like the fake carbon fibre trims they put in it. It doesn't even look like a proper carbon weave. 

5 hours ago, zain611 said:

I checked the description and no say of a turbo conversion. If it did have it it would be a bargain. There is a ST500 advertising for around £2500 and that's with about 87k miles which is really cheap. To be honest I don't like the fake carbon fibre trims they put in it. It doesn't even look like a proper carbon weave. 

I wouldn't trust a trader to know whether it's a turbo or not, he probably just bought it at auction...  Ask for an engine bay pic, you might get a bargain if it is a turbo! :biggrin:

I'm not a fan of the ST500 tbh, really don't like the bonnet moustache and they're nowhere near as interesting as an Anni or Celebration for me.  You've probably seen this one not far from me...I know it's low mileage but they're still taking the mick at £6k for a Mk6 Fiesta!! :laugh: :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-2-0-2007-25MY-ST-500/283122848035?hash=item41eb6fd123:g:U78AAOSwQR9bjkzo

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I wouldn't trust a trader to know whether it's a turbo or not, he probably just bought it at auction...  Ask for an engine bay pic, you might get a bargain if it is a turbo! :biggrin:

I'm not a fan of the ST500 tbh, really don't like the bonnet moustache and they're nowhere near as interesting as an Anni or Celebration for me.  You've probably seen this one not far from me...I know it's low mileage but they're still taking the mick at £6k for a Mk6 Fiesta!! :laugh: :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-2-0-2007-25MY-ST-500/283122848035?hash=item41eb6fd123:g:U78AAOSwQR9bjkzo

Haven't seen that one. Mainly just looking through auto trader. I would wonder who will spend that sort of money on a mk6 fiesta unless they want a low mileage one. The cars that I've owned I've found through gumtree so might show that sight has a few cheap cars. 

To be honest I could get a black ST and make the exterior look the same as the ST 500. Yeah the anni and celebration zetec s look better because of the colours they come in however they only come with the 1.6 petrol engine. Is there a difference between the anni and celebration? 

Good thing I've noticed today is that by checking the ULEZ car checker most petrol cars before 2005 are not part of the charge. One car I put down was a mk4 golf 2.3 VR5 and that's not part of the charge lol. Kind of opens up my options however still looking at a mk6.5 fiesta ST. The preface lift I don't like the triple decker stereo setup and speedo. Did look at some EP3 Type Rs however those look to be more thirsty on fuel and higher on tax. The ST looks to have better running costs with other cars which 2 litre petrol engines

11 hours ago, zain611 said:

Haven't seen that one. Mainly just looking through auto trader. I would wonder who will spend that sort of money on a mk6 fiesta unless they want a low mileage one. The cars that I've owned I've found through gumtree so might show that sight has a few cheap cars. 

To be honest I could get a black ST and make the exterior look the same as the ST 500. Yeah the anni and celebration zetec s look better because of the colours they come in however they only come with the 1.6 petrol engine. Is there a difference between the anni and celebration? 

Good thing I've noticed today is that by checking the ULEZ car checker most petrol cars before 2005 are not part of the charge. One car I put down was a mk4 golf 2.3 VR5 and that's not part of the charge lol. Kind of opens up my options however still looking at a mk6.5 fiesta ST. The preface lift I don't like the triple decker stereo setup and speedo. Did look at some EP3 Type Rs however those look to be more thirsty on fuel and higher on tax. The ST looks to have better running costs with other cars which 2 litre petrol engines

Technically the yellow ones are Anni's as they came out on the 30th Anniversary of the Fiesta.  The green ones are ~6 months newer and are a 'celebration' instead.  They're almost the same except the colour, but it makes them more 'limited', it's a marketing ploy really as the limited Anni's sold so well but they couldn't make any more due to being limited so they wanted to do it again with a slight difference lol.  They will hold more value in years to come though, at retro meets in 20 years time a performance blue ST150 will be nice but fairly boring where the Annis/Celebs still stick out.  It wasn't about power for them, it was about looks and a limited run. :smile: 

I really want an EP3 Civic tbh, liked them for years, but I don't think it'd work for you in London, it's the older type V-Tec which is literally nothing until 6k rpm then everything for the rest of the rev range.  Can't see the roads being free enough near you to enjoy it as they're so flat at lower rpms.  The reason they cost more to tax and fuel is because they're more Mk1 Focus sized than Fiesta.  But that £300 a year tax is the reason I haven't owned one tbh lol.  A mate from college has recently set up a new local Jap group and I'm enjoying their meets tbh, but it does give me an itch for an interesting Jap car so I could join in a bit more.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Technically the yellow ones are Anni's as they came out on the 30th Anniversary of the Fiesta.  The green ones are ~6 months newer and are a 'celebration' instead.  They're almost the same except the colour, but it makes them more 'limited', it's a marketing ploy really as the limited Anni's sold so well but they couldn't make any more due to being limited so they wanted to do it again with a slight difference lol.  They will hold more value in years to come though, at retro meets in 20 years time a performance blue ST150 will be nice but fairly boring where the Annis/Celebs still stick out.  It wasn't about power for them, it was about looks and a limited run. :smile: 

I really want an EP3 Civic tbh, liked them for years, but I don't think it'd work for you in London, it's the older type V-Tec which is literally nothing until 6k rpm then everything for the rest of the rev range.  Can't see the roads being free enough near you to enjoy it as they're so flat at lower rpms.  The reason they cost more to tax and fuel is because they're more Mk1 Focus sized than Fiesta.  But that £300 a year tax is the reason I haven't owned one tbh lol.  A mate from college has recently set up a new local Jap group and I'm enjoying their meets tbh, but it does give me an itch for an interesting Jap car so I could join in a bit more.  

No wonder, kept thinking it was just another name for them. Its not that busy in London. I live near the outskirts so it's not as busy as the centre. Petrols are a little more fun to drive I think mainly because of the sound. The zetec s fiesta is fun to go around in corners in but my 1 litre 3 cylinder Peugeot I previously had was fun to rev and boot about. 

I'm thinking I don't want a car which is expensive to run as I probably might start working full time in 2 years and most likely will save up for a house. 

• Like 1

I really don't like finding out that; two

"✌"High Quality"✌" 90°degree F-type to F-type cables in 0.5M length purchased from here on Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MT9PWD0/ref=pe_1572281_66412651_cm_rv_eml_rv0_dp 

Spent a further £2.50 getting them shipped over to Ireland only to discover they don't work😥

Its lucky they look good as I can't watch the TV with them 😁 

Going to purchase some 90°degree crimp F-type connectors and make my own short 0.5M patch cables with some BELDEN-8241 cable 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-114BGR-A-F-TYPE-CRIMP-PLUG-90-DEGREE/131440760406 

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/273363048351

Looks like fifth gear got on the topic about the ULEZ 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club