Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

1 minute ago, iantt said:

I was! That's how I came upon the intake gummed up. I was changing a leaking  injector pipe(3hrs!!! ) 

@zain611 . Think alot lower mileage

I was working when I replied lol and still am now, nearly home time though!😀

I'm home, finish at 5pm . 

16 minutes ago, iantt said:

I was! That's how I came upon the intake gummed up. I was changing a leaking  injector pipe(3hrs!!! ) 

@zain611 . Think alot lower mileage

Probably about 50k...driven by an elderly person that creeps around below 1500rpm and only does 2 mile trips... :tongue:

Yeah I'm thinking around 60k. It most likely the EGR which cruds it up. 

46 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Probably about 50k...driven by an elderly person that creeps around below 1500rpm and only does 2 mile trips... :tongue:

Nope, lower!! And you will be supprised how old the vehicle is 

20k?  Surely not lower that that?

1.5TDCi around 3 years old?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

20k?  Surely not lower that that?

1.5TDCi around 3 years old?

Very close, 30k on a 17 plate 1.5tdci focus!! So not low mileage for year. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Very close, 30k on a 17 plate 1.5tdci focus!! So not low mileage for year. 

Crikey, didn't expect that! 😮

Nor did I when I took it apart! 

• Like 1

Must be due to emissions. EGRs don't help cars and I actually do wonder if they help with how the car releases it pollutants. I remember a person on the forum saying he blanked the EGR and the MOT inspector said it's burning cleanly / is good on emissions. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zain611 said:

Must be due to emissions. EGRs don't help cars and I actually do wonder if they help with how the car releases it pollutants. I remember a person on the forum saying he blanked the EGR and the MOT inspector said it's burning cleanly / is good on emissions. 

The egr recirculates up to 20% of waste gasses with the intention of turning more hydrocarbons in to carbons which are less carcinogenic, but some emissions car test on Diesel engines only check the carbon not hydrocarbons which when blanked there's less carbon 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lenny said:

The egr recirculates up to 20% of waste gasses with the intention of turning more hydrocarbons in to carbons which are less carcinogenic, but some emissions car test on Diesel engines only check the carbon not hydrocarbons which when blanked there's less carbon 

I don't get the whole 'regen' thing 🤔

It's supposed to help the environment, which I get BUT we've got a couple of trucks at work that require regen every week or so. This involves the truck going through a cycle whereby it sits and revs the guts out of it for 30 minutes!

The truck can't move or use the hydraulics when this is occurring so you just have to sit and wait while it burns it's way through a couple of gallons of diesel! 

Go figure.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I don't get the whole 'regen' thing 🤔

It's supposed to help the environment, which I get BUT we've got a couple of trucks at work that require regen every week or so. This involves the truck going through a cycle whereby it sits and revs the guts out of it for 30 minutes!

The truck can't move or use the hydraulics when this is occurring so you just have to sit and wait while it burns it's way through a couple of gallons of diesel! 

Go figure.

It's all stupid I agree,

EGR is primarily for NOx, not hydrocarbons.  It reduces the cylinder temperature during lean burn conditions where NOx would otherwise be produced in huge quantities.  It does this by recirculating exhaust gas which is mostly made up of Nitrogen (inert gas), this Nitrogen simply means there's less space in the cylinder for fresh Oxygen which is the combustible part of air.  Unfortunately, due to the way diesel burns there will often be soot in the exhaust which gets recirculated as well.

The problem with the latest Euro6 emmision's regs is that the NOx limits are unrealistically low, so the EGR is having to work stupidly hard, several times as hard as it did on the old Euro 3 or even Euro 4 engines.

What I don't understand about the emmisions regs is why they're still allowing oil vapour back in the intake, soot on it's own doesn't create the sticky mess you find in the intake, it's caused by soot combined with oil vapour from the breather.  This oil obviously gets burnt which adds to the HC's and creates particulates that get stuck in the DPF.  It's about time they started fitting proper oil separators or small catch tanks to the breather systems imo.

As for DPF regens, the DPF catches particulates and doesn't let any* pass (*in real world conditions its not quite 100% tbf lol).  Despite wasting a gallon of diesel, it won't be chucking out particulates during that time, it will be producing far less CO2 than a petrol engine under the same conditions, and because it's revving hard it won't be producing much NOx either.  Really the only environmental issue with a static regen is the waste of fossil fuel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@TomsFocus with the amount of mileage I do I don't really add so much pollution to the environment 😂. Its like this ULEZ thing the government wants to implement in central London this April then expand it to the whole of London in 2021. A lot of people don't have a compliant car and can't afford to get a newer 2015 diesel. Small businesses may get hit the most as they might not be able to change their old diesel vans as it might lose a lot of value or have negative equity.

On one news article talking about this I saw some people go against people who are talking against this charge. One woman replied and said this is a reason why me and my work mates get sick during the winter and blow out black snot 🙄. I first thought this woman is a bit thick. There's something called microorganisms which cause you to get sick. Stuff like influenza and the winter vomiting bug (norovirus) and more prevalent during the winter. The black snot thing I've never got that except for going in the underground train which might kind of show public transport isn't always good if you getting black soot getting trapped in your nose. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The problem with the latest Euro6 emmision's regs is that the NOx limits are unrealistically low,

I think priorities are going badly wrong. There is so much talk about NOx and tiny amounts of micro-particulates, and about scrapping this, that and the other, just to replace them with short lived new stuff. But very little being effectively done about the CO2 problem which really will kill millions, maybe billions, if it carries on rising indefinitely. There can be no doubt that ever rising CO2 will eventually render substantial parts of the habitable and useful land on this world, uninhabitable, under water, or almost useless. Then people will have to fight for somewhere to live, and for things to eat and keep warm with. That means war when lots of people start fighting.

It is all driven by cities, who think NOX and particulates are big problems. The truth is our cities have never been cleaner, in the  "Western" world at least. My parents lived in London with real smogs in the 1950s and before. Then we had petrol cars pumping out lead, CO (monoxide) and unburnt fuel by the ton. Plus trucks, taxis and buses with old diesel engines billowing out huge plumes of black smoke on a regular basis.

We have done a good job of cleaning up the most serious problems, removing dirt that did kill and injure, but also it exercised and conditioned our immune systems. As we have removed one threat, allergies and other auto-immune problems have soared to compensate.

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

The black snot thing I've never got that except for going in the underground train

You could well be right there, there must be huge amounts of dust circulating in those tunnels. Brake dust, crushed ballast, and fibers from clothes and hair of millions of people. It will not settle much with the constantly moving air down there. And a good number of bacterial spores and virus particles with it.

Further reduction of NOx & particulates will result in huge wastage of scrapped vehicles, with all the extra CO2 and use of irreplaceable resources that replacing them will cause. Cars are getting too costly to repair, they will just be scrapped when they fail an emissions test. And as for battery cars, full electric or hybrid, who is going to buy a second hand one of those? Once that massive battery pack shows any signs of ageing, it will be the end for it. Second hand value will be almost nil unless it has a fully guaranteed new battery. Recycling may be better than burying rubbish, but it still consumes massive amounts of energy to recycle and then make new stuff again.

It is a shame because the motor manufacturers made huge improvements in vehicle lifespan in the 90s. Rust problems were greatly reduced, even eliminated in some cases. All my early cars from the 70s and 80s had gaping rust holes in doors & wings by about 5 years old. Engines and transmissions were lasting far longer too. But now Cats, DPFs, GPFs, fancy over-complicated electronics and ever increasing pointless regulations are taking us back to the bad old days!

My Euro 4 Focus, with no DPF, is going very nicely at the moment, better than for years since replacing a few bits. I just hope it continues for some time, as I really don't know what I would want to replace it with!

• Like 4

I don't like receiving (very quickly I might add) the wrong pressure sensor!

Old one is a bigger thread than the one I got sent 😡

I hate relying on my wife and a workmate for lifts to and from work. 

IMG_20190305_163312457.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

don't you just hate that :sad:

• Sad 1

Salt...

f9212d8c0ed3198eda11ead50148d5e6.jpg

fc5234476e63a05322b624372dd659ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, TimST2 said:

Salt...

fc5234476e63a05322b624372dd659ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

How did you get so much salt? I got a bit on the side of my car. Don't have a clue when I can clean it

2 hours ago, zain611 said:

How did you get so much salt? I got a bit on the side of my car. Don't have a clue when I can clean it

Good question. I commute over the Mendips and there are a lot of quarry vehicles around so it could be rock salt from those dissolved in the rain and sprayed up from the road. Fortunately it's nicely waxed underneath so a good rinse with a pressure wash will get most of it off.

2 hours ago, TimST2 said:

Good question. I commute over the Mendips and there are a lot of quarry vehicles around so it could be rock salt from those dissolved in the rain and sprayed up from the road. Fortunately it's nicely waxed underneath so a good rinse with a pressure wash will get most of it off.

Haven't waxed and sealed mine since new year however the sealant looks to be still on as it looks to still bead.

9 hours ago, TimST2 said:

Salt...

Ford SoL Tee

• Like 1

I've just taken the time to watch and then reported all 37 episodes terrible absolutely disgraceful 

• Like 1