Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Not really a don't like this one...more of a minor annoyance lol...  Basically my Nan insists on putting about 20kgs of stuff on a kitchen cupboard shelf and then complains that the shelf has collapsed pretty much every week... :rolleyes:  :laugh:  Tbf it's not all her fault, she can't bend so puts light stuff on the bottom with a grabber and places heavy stuff on the shelf, opposite to what most of us would do!  She has finally broken all of the plastic fittings on it now so I'm trying to think of the cheapest, most effective way to strengthen the shelf so it can take the weight and wont collapse again.  It's just the standard veneer covered chipboard of a fitted kitchen so I'm very aware of just ripping out lumps of chipboard with screws which wont be helpful.  My best idea so far is to screw a small (10mm square?) batten along each side of the cupboard, using 4 screws per side, for the shelf to sit on.  Would that be adequate?  Is there a certain type or length of screw I should use?  I will be checking builders skips this week to hopefully source a small amount of batten for free if there aren't any better suggestions lol...

Why not putting L brackets in? 

2 hours ago, zain611 said:

Why not putting L brackets in? 

Hadn't thought of it tbh!  Will have to check costs though, doubt I'll find any in a skip. :laugh:

I would be wary of screws just ripping out of the cabinets! 

What about lengths of wood/old shelves? cut to the length you want the height you want the shelf at. The weight will be transferred to the bottom of the cabinet and should be strong enough for anything you could load the shelf with. Maybe a couple of screws to hold the supports in place. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hadn't thought of it tbh!  Will have to check costs though, doubt I'll find any in a skip. :laugh:

My dad did it on the chairs 

DSC_0327.JPG

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

I would be wary of screws just ripping out of the cabinets! 

What about lengths of wood/old shelves? cut to the length you want the height you want the shelf at. The weight will be transferred to the bottom of the cabinet and should be strong enough for anything you could load the shelf with. Maybe a couple of screws to hold the supports in place. 

Yeah I'm worried about the screws just ripping the chipboard tbh. :unsure:

Planks of wood idea is a good one though, don't think there's any useful wood left in her garage now, will have to see what I can find in local skips! :laugh:

59 minutes ago, zain611 said:

My dad did it on the chairs 

DSC_0327.JPG

Good idea on the chairs but I'm not sure if they'll spread the load enough for a cupboard shelf.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Turvey said:

Yeah it is the plastic fixings that have snapped, I didn't know you could get metal ones, that could be a quick and easy answer!  I could even add a couple of extra ones on each side to spread the load better.  Don't suppose you know if the holes/pegs are a standard size?  I probably don't need 100 though, will have to see if I can find a smaller pack! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

I don't like rice cakes...  Trying to eat more healthily and ideally low FODMAP to help with the IBS but honestly, how does anyone eat these?  I'm not even sure they're edible, seems more like a polystyrene packing disc than food! :unsure: :laugh: 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't like rice cakes...  Trying to eat more healthily and ideally low FODMAP to help with the IBS but honestly, how does anyone eat these?  I'm not even sure they're edible, seems more like a polystyrene packing disc than food! :unsure: :laugh: 

If you "love" marmite, then marmite rice cakes are awesome.

I like them with a bit of low fat cream cheese on

31 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I remember back in primary school my mum making marmite sandwiches I used to take. I can't remember exactly but I was a good kick for me to have it 🤣

I don't like that Twitter has changed on my browser. The layout is the same as the desktop app for windows but for some reason it now won't let me upload pics to my photography page. 

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The caramel ones are lovely, the salt and vinegar ones take a bit of getting used to. Just make sure you've got a drink to hand!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah it is the plastic fixings that have snapped, I didn't know you could get metal ones, that could be a quick and easy answer!  I could even add a couple of extra ones on each side to spread the load better.  Don't suppose you know if the holes/pegs are a standard size?  I probably don't need 100 though, will have to see if I can find a smaller pack! :biggrin: 

What about some metal legs, or a purpose built shelving unit supported on the floor? 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Lol, nope don't like Marmite...even the smell puts me off!   :unsure:

I had intended to use cream cheese with these but it's high FODMAP which I'm meant to be avoiding.  I had them with a slice of hard cheese instead (somehow that's low FODMAP...tbh I don't really understand it lol) but really could've done with something softer I think.

2 hours ago, Micro said:

The caramel ones are lovely, the salt and vinegar ones take a bit of getting used to. Just make sure you've got a drink to hand!

I don't like vinegar but might try the caramel ones as a snack...  The ones I bought were just plain for a sandwich alternative which was probably a mistake! :laugh:

2 hours ago, Micro said:

What about some metal legs, or a purpose built shelving unit supported on the floor? 🙂

Good idea but my Nan is really tight so won't buy anything for it...it's not that she doesn't have the money...she could have the whole kitchen redone tomorrow...but she just won't spend it 'at her time of life'...

I've tried explaining that this is exactly the time she should be spending it to make her life easier and more comfortable but she won't have it...she might have to live another 5-10 years with dodgy cupboards, an oven she struggles to reach, a freezer outside due to poor kitchen design and having to hang up wet washing as she won't have a tumble drier... :rolleyes: It's her choice at the end of the day though, all I can do is free bodges as she asks for them.

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

5mm seems to be the more common size, obviously I don't know if they would be suitable for you though 😄

I did find smaller packs on eBay and amazon so would be worth having a more thorough search once you know for sure the correct size 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I had intended to use cream cheese with these but it's high FODMAP which I'm meant to be avoiding.  I had them with a slice of hard cheese instead (somehow that's low FODMAP...tbh I don't really understand it lol) but really could've done with something softer I think.

Good idea but my Nan is really tight so won't buy anything for it...it's not that she doesn't have the money...she could have the whole kitchen redone tomorrow...but she just won't spend it 'at her time of life'...

Soft cheese has a higher content of lactose than hard cheese (Cheddar/Hard cheese is about 0.1g/100g, Soft cheese can be anywhere from about 0.5g/100g to 4g/100g), hence why hard cheese is ok and soft cheese is not. You can look at the "Carbohydrates of which sugar" on any dairy product that has no added sugar (or fruits or other added carbohydrates) and it'll show you the lactose content. With being lactose intolerant it's mainly my cheddar intake that keeps my calcium up 😄

How about a large angled bracket like so - https://www.screwfix.com/p/hi-load-mitred-bracket-79kg-white-350-x-350mm-10-pack/56023 ? They'd put the weight over a larger area and allow for more fixings

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Turvey said:

5mm seems to be the more common size, obviously I don't know if they would be suitable for you though 😄

I did find smaller packs on eBay and Amazon so would be worth having a more thorough search once you know for sure the correct size 😉

I'll just need to make an educated guess that they'll be 5mm then, I don't live particularly close to Nans so can't just pop over and measure hence asking if there was a standard size lol.  :laugh: 

9 hours ago, Micro said:

Soft cheese has a higher content of lactose than hard cheese (Cheddar/Hard cheese is about 0.1g/100g, Soft cheese can be anywhere from about 0.5g/100g to 4g/100g), hence why hard cheese is ok and soft cheese is not. You can look at the "Carbohydrates of which sugar" on any dairy product that has no added sugar (or fruits or other added carbohydrates) and it'll show you the lactose content. With being lactose intolerant it's mainly my cheddar intake that keeps my calcium up 😄

Ah now that is interesting, I have cheddar pretty much every day so assumed I couldn't be lactose intolerant!  :unsure:  Possibly TMI but I've struggled to digest those rice cakes, worse indigestion & reflux than just having a wholemeal sandwich so I'll go back to bread today after a week without lol.  I did also try a few types of gluten free rolls last week which were equally difficult to digest...but when I double checked the ingredients I noticed one of them contained bamboo fibre...considering we use bamboo canes to stake plants in the garden, I can't imagine that's digestible at all! :laugh: 

I don't like seeing a tiny dent on the car and thinking if it was there before 

Well, that gone-off SRP really has made a mess.  We had a fair bit of rain over the weekend but it hasn't made any difference, whole car looks like this. :sad:

IMG_20190722_150425190.thumb.jpg.7c6ff37c6902fc5167577c7e28f35b82.jpg

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Well, that gone-off SRP really has made a mess.  We had a fair bit of rain over the weekend but it hasn't made any difference, whole car looks like this. :sad:

IMG_20190722_150425190.thumb.jpg.7c6ff37c6902fc5167577c7e28f35b82.jpg

Possibly try clay baring the surface and see if it comes off. I'd probably polish it after as claying can do some damage depending on how much dirt it picks up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

Possibly try clay baring the surface and see if it comes off. I'd probably polish it after as claying can do some damage depending on how much dirt it picks up. 

I don't have any clay and the only polish I have is this SRP lol.  I'm just hoping it'll eventually wear off in the rain really. :laugh:

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't have any clay and the only polish I have is this SRP lol.  I'm just hoping it'll eventually wear off in the rain really. :laugh:

Didn't you say you had a clay mitt? 

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

Didn't you say you had a clay mitt? 

I've got a clay mitt yeah, it's not like proper clay though.  I don't want to potentially clog it up with pieces of polish either.

• Like 1

When after a week i trying my Hatch struts from SGS and still the same and have to send them back,i did 40sec video and sent them it as it stuck half way and even just

above and would not lift then shoot up,they said looks like faulty gas pressure so asked for full refund,my old ones are better as they did lift smooth on half way.

• Like 1

I don't like how hot it is today. Its was reading 40'C in the car. Probably the hottest I've seen it read. My AC has stopped working also 😭. Saw smoke from the front and switched the AC off then when I tried it again after returning to the car the AC doesnt engage now. The revs don't build 

I think this heat makes people stupid on the road. Had a BMW 4 series driver coming up close behind me. Did slow him down as I had to turn into my grans drive plus he had to stop further ahead due to temporary lights 😏. Money don't buy brains sadly 😔 

• Like 1