Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

17 minutes ago, Micro said:

Are they flex pipes to the taps, or just copper?

Copper, very solid, with a soldered 90deg bend within a few mm of both the wall and the tap entry.

I would have to drain down the water tanks to change the stop valves, and rip out a papered over wooden panel for access. And there would be Big Trouble if the job took more than a day, preventing use of the shower by SWMBO :ohmy:! So it is a job that is quite some way down on my most want to do list!

I do have a decent, working, internal main stop tap. The one in the road turns off three houses, not just mine. Putting in the new internal tap is a long story from a few years ago now that involves a nice garden water feature: A neat little fountain. Except it was in the hall, not the garden!

• Haha 1

I don't like how useless DPD are.  First they say I cannot get the promised 1 hour time slot because I'm in the Highlands (which I am NOT), so I then ask them to deliver to a neighbour as I cannot guarantee being home and what have they gone and done but left a card!! :angry:

• Sad 2

I don't like that ford can't produce a new car or van without issues anymore. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

I don't like how useless DPD are.  First they say I cannot get the promised 1 hour time slot because I'm in the Highlands (which I am NOT), so I then ask them to deliver to a neighbour as I cannot guarantee being home and what have they gone and done but left a card!! :angry:

Welcome to my world (Jim Reeves reference. 😃)

We can't get Next day deliveries, one hour timeslots etc either

Even worse is when you buy something with FREE delivery and when you put in your postcode they slap on a delivery charge! Even worse when it arrives by Royal Mail! 

I don't like getting an email from my bank (Barclays) telling me they won't allow their customers to withdraw cash at the Post Office from next January. First they closed our local branch but said they would maintain the cash machine which was there (they haven't), and now this. Doubly annoying as I like to support our local sub-PO as much as possible, and it feels a lot safer taking cash out there than at an outside cashpoint with some ***** lurking behind you. Time to consider another bank I think.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Do people still use cash?

This question could almost be it's own interesting thread; 

Personally I do since march of this year I'm a single earner with a mortgage, stay at home wife and three kids, 

I've gone back to using cash since march; because I've been watching changes in my bank fees where they have increased the fee on contact less transactions and inserting card at checkout,

I now have a weekly expenditure budget created on my phone aswell as in a hard back book at home and make a single cash withdrawal weekly to pay for items such as the weekly groceries shop, fuel the car and pay myself a wage of €20 per week for the odd coffee or breakfast roll rather than tapping and if I need something big; I wait to withdraw its payment as part of my one time weekly cash withdrawal, overall I intentionally have very little cash left at the end of the self paid day and I carry very little cash on a daily basis only my €20 per week self payment which also helps me harness the amount I spend at service stations on lunch items.

My other utility bills are direct debit and I mostly purchase items from amazon or other websites as I like to shop around for the best deals, my personal biggest trade partner is amazon in the uk; sadly this may change next month due to being faced with customs import charges on all items received from the uk in to Ireland; I may be forced to oh no 😟 buy local at 23% VAT aswell as the rent of the retail shop unit factored in to the cost of everything🤯

Overall i carry very little cash day to day but do withdraw in one weekly slot. its definitely worth checking your bank account fees to see if they have increased the fee on contact less transactions too. 

36 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Well, I still do, for small purchases from local newsagents, shops etc. I find it much easier to keep tabs on things that way than using contactless for example. Certainly in my village most older people (as in even older than me - there are a few!) seem to prefer using cash for their local transactions. 

50 minutes ago, Lenny said:

This question could almost be it's own interesting thread; 

Personally I do since march of this year I'm a single earner with a mortgage, stay at home wife and three kids, 

I've gone back to using cash since march; because I've been watching changes in my bank fees where they have increased the fee on contact less transactions and inserting card at checkout,

I now have a weekly expenditure budget created on my phone aswell as in a hard back book at home and make a single cash withdrawal weekly to pay for items such as the weekly groceries shop, fuel the car and pay myself a wage of €20 per week for the odd coffee or breakfast roll rather than tapping and if I need something big; I wait to withdraw its payment as part of my one time weekly cash withdrawal, overall I intentionally have very little cash left at the end of the self paid day and I carry very little cash on a daily basis only my €20 per week self payment which also helps me harness the amount I spend at service stations on lunch items.

My other utility bills are direct debit and I mostly purchase items from Amazon or other websites as I like to shop around for the best deals, my personal biggest trade partner is Amazon in the uk; sadly this may change next month due to being faced with customs import charges on all items received from the uk in to Ireland; I may be forced to oh no 😟 buy local at 23% VAT aswell as the rent of the retail shop unit factored in to the cost of everything🤯

Overall i carry very little cash day to day but do withdraw in one weekly slot. its definitely worth checking your bank account fees to see if they have increased the fee on contact less transactions too. 

Don't you have "free" banking in Ireland?

We don't have any usage fees on UK personal banks. All the charges are on the retailer's side.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Don't you have "free" banking in Ireland?

We don't have any usage fees on UK personal banks. All the charges are on the retailer's side.

No unfortunately not, my fees last year were €21.48 billed in March €0.05 for each contactless transaction and €0.10 for each cash withdrawal.

The recent upset in the news is also that the banks pay no tax yet the tax payers are paying fof the bailout which saved the banks and the banks are still making people with mortgage arrears homeless which the tax payer also supports for social housing, meanwhile an eu agreement signed in Morocco last November says we agree to take in thousands of migrants and house them in repossessed hotels while our own people are being put on the streets by the banks repossessing homes in which the people once had mortgages on and want to pay there way if they were given a chance; the news used Brexit coverage to sneak that deal in thinking nobody would notice. 

Sorry for the rant there but it's all related to the banks, if they paid tax in this country then the government could use that to help the housing crisis for the homeless, yet the tax payer earns a wage, pays bank fees to receive his money to the banks whom pay nothing atall on there profits.

16 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Yep, I never use my card except to withdraw money.  All that shows on my statement are direct debits and ATM withdrawals which is how I like it - no history of my spending habits!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 7:41 AM, Turvey said:

Welcome to my world (Jim Reeves reference. 😃)

We can't get Next day deliveries, one hour timeslots etc either

Even worse is when you buy something with FREE delivery and when you put in your postcode they slap on a delivery charge! Even worse when it arrives by Royal Mail! 

It sucks doesn't it.  At least you are legitimately in the "Highlands and Islands" though, what they are doing for me (in an AB postcode) is illegal as far as I know, or at least erroneous.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Nope...it's been touched by many other people and covered in coke, snot & faeces... :unsure:  

I just Contactless everything these days...fortunately I'm too poor to buy anything over £30! :laugh: 

16 hours ago, alexp999 said:

I didn't realise businesses still got charged for card transactions, haven't seen a minimum charge for years now, I'll literally use the card for 20p... 😮 

1 hour ago, jmurray01 said:

Yep, I never use my card except to withdraw money.  All that shows on my statement are direct debits and ATM withdrawals which is how I like it - no history of my spending habits!

All that shows on my card is Tesco & Sainsburys plus the odd diesel fill...I'm sure that looks more suspicious though...like no-ones that boring are they!? :laugh: 

17 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Certainly in my village most older people (as in even older than me - there are a few!) seem to prefer using cash for their local transactions. 

And probably cheque for anything else...  Old people seem to love a cheque!  My Nan often asks me to confirm she's written hers properly before posting it...I'm not the best person to ask though, I've never written one in my life! :lol:  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

And probably cheque for anything else...  Old people seem to love a cheque!  My Nan often asks me to confirm she's written hers properly before posting it...I'm not the best person to ask though, I've never written one in my life! :lol:  

Costs a bank fee of €1.50 per cheque debited from your account over here; because someone in the bank has to process it rather than it being automated transfers like a cash lodgement.

I do like seeing someone put coins in to the automatic lodgement machine in my local bank 😂 it locked up the mechanism inside.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 6:28 PM, iantt said:

I keep seeing on the Ford UK facebook page that the new diesel/ecoblue transits are plagued with drivetrain/engine issues...

Although Fords have had issues for a long time now, definitely since at least the early 2000's. I don't know if things seem to be getting better or worse though? I'd bet on better since automation has replaced a lot of manual processes/tasks, and a machine is more reliable than a human.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Incontro said:

I keep seeing on the Ford UK facebook page that the new diesel/ecoblue transits are plagued with drivetrain/engine issues...

Although Fords have had issues for a long time now, definitely since at least the early 2000's. I don't know if things seem to be getting better or worse though? I'd bet on better since automation has replaced a lot of manual processes/tasks, and a machine is more reliable than a human.

Reminds me: 

Yesterday in work a colleague bought a new Vauxhall insignia 🤮 

One of the lads put a wet floor style yellow sign at the back of it in the carpark which said "trip hazard" 

When the new owner asked what's the sign doing there? 

He was told that trip hazard sign is there for when the gear box falls out of your insignia to ensure nobody trips across it in the carpark 😂🤭hi 5

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

Reminds me: 

Yesterday in work a colleague bought a new Vauxhall insignia 🤮 

One of the lads put a wet floor style yellow sign at the back of it in the carpark which said "trip hazard" 

When the new owner asked what's the sign doing there? 

He was told that trip hazard sign in there for when the gear box falls out of your insignia to ensure nobody trips across it in the carpark 😂🤭hi 5

haha love it!

although as ford owners we also get the ***** taken out of ourselves - i'm well used to hearing "Fix Or Repair Daily"

my favourite for vauxhall/chevy owners has become GM = Government Motors 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Incontro said:

Oh, worse!!! And don't get me started on the ecoblue issues!! 

• Like 2

things i dont like - I don't like receiving a court notice in the post today, stating that the claimant's case (against me) has been allocated to the small claims court track...

im gonna defend the case in full out of principle, but it's just such hassle, and a waste of time when i could be doing better/more interesting things

if anyone is wondering, it's one of those stupid private parking companies - i got caught out by ANPR 😥 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Incontro said:

i'm well used to hearing "Fix Or Repair Daily"

Ouch :ohmy:, that is a wild exaggeration. I sometimes go for several days, even weeks, between having to repair or fix my Ford!

But then it is a 2006 model, not one of the "buy today, throw in the bin tomorrow" modern versions.

On 10/9/2019 at 5:28 PM, iantt said:

It is not the production that is the problem now. That was the problem in the 1970s: an unmotivated, don't care, workforce. Now the problem is design. Very, very poor design. Designers today need to know 100 times more than designers in the 70's, but in fact they actually know about 10 times less.

I call design today, Bodging. And I am sorry if that is insulting to the original bodgers of yesteryear. They could make wooden furniture very accurately, then just bash it together with a hammer and no nails, screws or glue, so that it would last for years. But they were very experienced, and very skilled. Bodging has come down a lot since then, anything just bashed together gets the name.

Design today consists of taking great lumps of hardware, software or both, from past projects or from sellers. Roughly fitting it together to attempt to do the job you want. Hacking the bits about in a semi-random manner until it looks like they might work, and then bashing it all together. Of course, this fails dismally, so lots more random hacking and bodging follows, until you get something that just about staggers through a half baked acceptance test. Then out the door with it, Let the customers and poor old support staff deal with the complete disaster while the designers get on with the next, even grander, bodging mission.

Maybe that sounds like the jaundiced opinion of an old school designer, but the truth is out there, all around. And it is something that I definitely do not like much at all!

I don't like getting the Toyota checked over today to find that the undercarriage is in actual fact very badly corroded.  Needless to say come April when the MOT expires it will be going bye bye.  Nevermind, it was a £300 car so if it lasts 6 months then it will earn its money.

Of course there is no way of knowing what state it was in 6 months ago when it passed the MOT, but lets just say the tester's idea of "excessive corrosion" may have been slightly lax.

At least it's a change to have a car rot out that isn't a Ford!! :ohmy::laughing:

At least it's a change to have a car rot out that isn't a Ford!! :ohmy::laughing:

Really? Are Ford's renowned for rusting!?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Lol, park a Ford on damp grass for a year and you come back to a pile or orange dust... :laugh:  Still, people used to rave about 306s not rusting, yet I scrapped many of them due to rust issues! :rolleyes: 

I never understood why Jap cars rust so badly though...Japan isn't exactly a hot, dry country...and the rest of the cars are well designed and built (unlike Fords and Peugeots which are just designed to be cheap!).

All cars have rust somewhere though, German cars tend to rust out the wings where they fit sponge to reduce tyre noise...but all it does is trap mud, dirt and salt against the wing to rust it from the inside out...fantastic idea! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never had any rust on any of my 3 Fords, but then again I've never tried parking on damp grass for a year!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1