Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

The 3000 series isn't great and the Ryzen CPUs are better imo.

It depends how much you want to spend and what you'll use it for, but I doubt you'd see the benefit of the Ryzen 7 over the 5. The 5 is still 6 cores.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

The 3000 series isn't great and the Ryzen CPUs are better imo.

It depends how much you want to spend and what you'll use it for, but I doubt you'd see the benefit of the Ryzen 7 over the 5. The 5 is still 6 cores.

Ah, I didn't notice the Intel was a 3000.  Will discount that one then.

I don't 'want' to spend anything lol...but also don't want to ruin the ship for a ha-porth of tar...  I'd rather spend the extra than buy the cheaper one and wish it was faster for the next 5 years.

I don't use it for gaming, but seem to be constantly at or near 100% on my current i3 just having email, open-office and a few internet tabs open...  I do intend to buy a decent camera at some point this year, so want the ability to edit photos.  And I do use Zoom, as well as Youtube regularly.  If you think the 5 will be fine I'll go for that one. :smile: 

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah, I didn't notice the Intel was a 3000.  Will discount that one then.

I don't 'want' to spend anything lol...but also don't want to ruin the ship for a ha-porth of tar...  I'd rather spend the extra than buy the cheaper one and wish it was faster for the next 5 years.

I don't use it for gaming, but seem to be constantly at or near 100% on my current i3 just having email, open-office and a few internet tabs open...  I do intend to buy a decent camera at some point this year, so want the ability to edit photos.  And I do use Zoom, as well as Youtube regularly.  If you think the 5 will be fine I'll go for that one. :smile: 

I think the Ryzen 5 will be fine. If you were wanting to edit videos, then go Ryzen 7, the extra cores will be of benefit, but photo editing shouldn't be a problem on the 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooh, just found a better discount code...  NUSBIGSALE

Makes the Ryzen 7 £605 after cashback...  Sod it, I'll go for that one! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Just now, FiestaForever said:

Plus a case, power supply, operating system, monitor, keyboard, mouse and it isn’t very portable if that’s what Tom wants. 😉

Dont get me wrong I have a desktop PC and no laptop. Just there is more to it than those bundles and it’s a totally different form factor. 

5 minutes ago, FiestaForever said:

Are the cpu’s in desktop same as the ones for laptops?

Generally no. The underlying architecture can be. But laptop CPUs are tuned for low power and heat and use a different interface. They are usually soldered directly on to the board instead of socketed. You do get some crazy overbuilt expensive laptops that use desktop CPUs but you generally only buy those to do extreme 3D work on the go. 

9 minutes ago, FiestaForever said:

Oh yeah sorry forgot to add power supply, case etc but most time if you are upgrading desktop then you will probably have the other bits already. Op system is cheap these days i got genuine win 10 dvd for £20.

It will be a volume licence key or used key at that price. There are weird grey areas in the law. Sometimes the keys can get revoked though. 

4 minutes ago, FiestaForever said:

No mate brand new and genuine key with genuine windows 10 dvd.

I know how much the licences cost at distribution. It will be some sort of grey market key. 

Just a small point but I think we've gone way off topic now.

To bring things down to earth. I don't like that I still feel pretty helpless after my friend passed away. Our senior managers at work have started to help sort things out for the family as now they are racing to get the retirement matters and death in service sorted out as soon as possible.

Spent another half a day taking amongst friends and colleagues about everything.

• Sad 2

54 minutes ago, FiestaForever said:

That's one hell of a link! :laugh:

I have built desktops before, although it was over a decade ago now lol!  I live in a small studio flat these days so space is at a premium hence needing a laptop, and ripping through batteries as there's no power point near my chair lol.  

I have bought the Dell linked above anyway.  On top of the ~£130 discount, and the 5% cashback, I'll also get £15 in Dell vouchers too apparently.  Seemed like the best deal I'd get...  I do also realise the irony of buying a laptop while my car build is delayed due to a shortage of microchips! :biggrin:

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 1:01 AM, Zico said:

I took a call at just before 9am this morning from my friend's son confirming the worse had happened and that his father had passed away on Friday evening.

Spent most of the day talking to friends and colleagues who knew him and trying to talk about the good things that we remembered or knew of the man.

I'm really sorry to hear that 😢. Good your talking to friends as it'll help. Also do spend some time with family. Main thing is keeping yourself busy as it'll help you 👍.

Honestly it's been hard since 2020. Please do take care of yourself too as others will get upset if they hear something happening to you.

• Like 1

I don't like ending up at A+E today! 😳

Not as bad as it sounds, but when I woke up this morning one of my fingers was a bit swollen and I couldn't take my wedding ring off. Tried to get it off with the help of soap etc but wasn't budging. Left it until 10 o'clock and phoned Mrs Turvey, she phoned the docs who recommended getting to A+E ASAP. Nurse managed to remove the ring by threading the cord/ribbon from an oxygen mask through the ring and winding it tightly around my finger and then unwinding it, pulling the ring off my finger. Doctor then came through and after examination thinks it is probably arthritis! Recommended ibruprofen gel 3 times a day to bring swelling down. 

Only took about an hour and all the staff I was in contact with were absolutely brilliant!!!

God bless the NHS ♥️

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FiestaForever said:

That is a quick turnover, an hour seems very very reasonable. Is that an hour from walking in the door to being seen to, treated and left? Here we would be lucky to be seen within two hours.

Just had a look back at messages to Mrs Turvey and from being told that I should go to A+E to getting back to work was nearly exactly an hour. That was including driving to the hospital and parking my 32t 8 wheeler truck! From parking to the entrance was a 1 minute walk to reception, 5 minutes giving details etc 5 minute wait for a nurse to come and see me. 10-15 minutes getting ring off and another 10-15 minutes wait for the doc to come and see me. Back in the truck within the hour.

Hate living here at times but it does have its advantages. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FiestaForever said:

Now that is impressive.👍

Only thing I was disappointed about was that the nurse went out to speak to a doctor but never came back so I didn't get a chance to thank her. I have sent her a message on Facebook though, hopefully I don't come across as a stalker! 😳😃

• Haha 3

My daughter walked into our house and into our living room where were were sat , to be told by her (with face mask on ) that the nursery where she worked had toddlers who spread covid to the staff and parts of the nursery had to shut down due to staff now off with covid. She said it's ok she hasn't got it!! Only a splitting headache!  She dropped off a present for my step daughters 18th birthday. Anyway, I need to lock the front door to stop family entering the house! 

We have quarantined the present for 3 days and wiped down the front door and living room handles etc. 

Thought I  should mention she doesn't live with us. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, iantt said:

My daughter walked into our house and into our living room where were were sat , to be told by her (with face mask on ) that the nursery where she worked had toddlers who spread covid to the staff and parts of the nursery had to shut down due to staff now off with covid. She said it's ok she hasn't got it!! Only a splitting headache!  She dropped off a present for my step daughters 18th birthday. Anyway, I need to lock the front door to stop family entering the house! 

We have quarantined the present for 3 days and wiped down the front door and living room handles etc. 

Thought I  should mention she doesn't live with us. 

The government need to close schools. I feel this is how the virus is primarily spreading, through child. That's how I caught it. Got it from my cousin who didn't really present any disease though the day after I saw her her school phoned the parents saying their teacher was tested positive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zain611 said:

The government need to close schools. I feel this is how the virus is primarily spreading, through child. That's how I caught it. Got it from my cousin who didn't really present any disease though the day after I saw her her school phoned the parents saying their teacher was tested positive.

Schools have been closed from new year until at least Feb half term, it's only kids of key workers that are there currently.  There wouldn't be many nurses, shop assistants etc left if they couldn't leave the kids somewhere while at work.  It's a difficult balance to strike. :unsure: 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 7:54 PM, FiestaForever said:

I really don't like buying exhaust/manifold heat bandage/wrap and not finding out it contained glass fibre until it was applied, without gloves,  getting hundreds of fibrous splinters all over the inside and outside of my hands. The irritation was next level. There was absolutely no warning of hazard on ebay listing, and did not come with any mention of using with gloves.😒

If you have some bathroom silicone, apply a bit to your hands and allow it to dry, then peel it off; it should grip some of the spikes,

I've had bathroom silicone on my hands many times over the years doing various jobs, takes around 40 minutes to dry but peels off.

Alternatively if there's a female around; ask them about a good face mask to use; which would do the same job 

• Like 1

@Zico 😂 reminds me of the time I went to A&E with phimosis caused by too strong dose of antibiotics, caused my glands down below to swell up about the size of a mandrel orange, 

They had to squeeze the blood back in to my body and pull the sleeve back over the glands before it went gangrene 😬 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Did the first mortgage advisor exam and sadly failed it. Theres two exams I have to do in one sitting with 70% being the pass mark. Got 68% (1 mark off) for the first exam and 60% (5 marks off) for the second. Kind of happy that I wasn't far off as I don't have to do too much revision again but now have to pay £150 to retake it. Just hope I pass next time.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

Did the first mortgage advisor exam and sadly failed it. Theres two exams I have to do in one sitting with 70% being the pass mark. Got 68% (1 mark off) for the first exam and 60% (5 marks off) for the second. Kind of happy that I wasn't far off as I don't have to do too much revision again but now have to pay £150 to retake it. Just hope I pass next time.

Is it a questionnaire on the story of the three little pigs? 

Always choose concrete over timber framed 👍😂

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club