Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

Just now, Wino said:

All I can tell you Tom is that the Mk4 was cheaper than the Mk3 to insure by about £27 for the year. Shame it costs £110 more to tax 🙄

First years tax is part of the deal on mine so I won't feel like I'm paying that this year! :whistling:  

Oddly there was no change at all when I quoted for a similar car...but as that was already 6 months old and a slightly different engine and spec it wasn't an exact comparison.  Just have to wait until I get a plate for mine I guess...  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

First years tax is part of the deal on mine so I won't feel like I'm paying that this year! :whistling:  

Oddly there was no change at all when I quoted for a similar car...but as that was already 6 months old and a slightly different engine and spec it wasn't an exact comparison.  Just have to wait until I get a plate for mine I guess...  

You won't be able to get an insurance quote for a good week or so after it's registered (which should be the day you pick it up), as it won't be in the insurers database yet.

You can normally get quotes just by selecting the car model.

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

You won't be able to get an insurance quote for a good week or so after it's registered (which should be the day you pick it up), as it won't be in the insurers database yet.

You can normally get quotes just by selecting the car model.

Blimey, even more waiting time! :laugh:  They should give me 3 days driveaway insurance though I'm guessing?

I've been trying to use the online system for my current insurer but it won't let you progress without a plate unfortunately.  None have been built with the right engine and spec so far so it's not even like I can borrow a plate from eBay or AT yet.

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Blimey, even more waiting time! :laugh:  They should give me 3 days driveaway insurance though I'm guessing?

I've been trying to use the online system for my current insurer but it won't let you progress without a plate unfortunately.  None have been built with the right engine and spec so far so it's not even like I can borrow a plate from ebay or AT yet.

You can have cover start on the day of pickup, it's just that when you give them the reg you also have to give them the car details as it's not in the database. Have you tried making up a plate and seeing if it lets you get a quote entering manual details?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Have you tried making up a plate and seeing if it lets you get a quote entering manual details?

What an excellent idea! :biggrin: 

Cost of change today would be £3.30 for the next 5 weeks.  So approx £30 more over a year for a car worth £20k more than the Golf.  Insurance doesn't make any sense... :laugh: 

Just done some fresh quotes on comparison sites and found 7 insurers between £250-£270! 

Golf quotes come back as £275-£300 for the lowest 4 insurers.  Think I paid £315 for the Golf last year so not a huge difference.

Does anyone use 'Ford Insure' btw?  Competitive price at £266 and genuine parts guarantee.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Just done some fresh quotes on comparison sites and found 7 insurers between £250-£270! 

Golf quotes come back as £275-£300 for the lowest 4 insurers.  Think I paid £315 for the Golf last year so not a huge difference.

Does anyone use 'Ford Insure' btw?  Competitive price at £266 and genuine parts guarantee.

Check the underwriter, Ford keep changing it. That's more important imo.

I used them when they were underwritten by RSA, then it changed and they were no longer competitive for me anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

What an excellent idea! :biggrin: 

What plate did you pick ? 

TF 40CUS would about right 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

What plate did you pick ? 

TF 40CUS would about right 👍

The 70 plate they gave me...though it's obviously not going to be that one anymore with the manufacturing delay lol.

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Check the underwriter, Ford keep changing it. That's more important imo.

I used them when they were underwritten by RSA, then it changed and they were no longer competitive for me anymore.

They're under the EUI group now...which makes sense seeing as 4 of the other quotes around the same price were Admiral, Elephant, Bell and Diamond.

I filled up the ST today (probably for the first time in the last year)...

How much has petrol gone up in price!?

Not helped by putting in BP Ultimate from my closest petrol station (if the car's not getting much use I figured having premium fuel in the tank is a better idea), but still. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TimST2 said:

I filled up the ST today (probably for the first time in the last year)...

How much has petrol gone up in price!?

Not helped by putting in BP Ultimate from my closest petrol station (if the car's not getting much use I figured having premium fuel in the tank is a better idea), but still. 

Lol I put fuel in recently. Last time before I can't remember the last time before that. Good for me I'm saving more money 😂. battery it's good though.

Fuel prices were down for months...I filled up just after xmas and it was still pretty low.  Noticed this week it's back above £1.20 for regular diesel though. :sad: 

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Fuel prices were down for months...I filled up just after xmas and it was still pretty low.  Noticed this week it's back above £1.20 for regular diesel though. :sad: 

1.24 round here! now if you had an electric car?? 😂😂😂😂

On 2/10/2021 at 10:56 AM, TomsFocus said:

I hadn't noticed they'd reduced it to 3 days - I'm sure it used to be 7? Another cost cutting measure?

once had a competitive quote from Ford Insure about 10 years ago. I've tried them since when I've bought a Ford and they just seemed to be taking the p*ss - didn't seem to understand that the "benefits"  didn't make up for the ludicrous premium they quoted.

3 hours ago, iantt said:

1.24 round here! now if you had an electric car?? 😂😂😂😂

Just paid my January electric bill...  £120 for one month!  😳 

31 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ouch,think how much with your tree hugger plugged in too😂😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I hadn't noticed they'd reduced it to 3 days - I'm sure it used to be 7? Another cost cutting measure?

once had a competitive quote from Ford Insure about 10 years ago. I've tried them since when I've bought a Ford and they just seemed to be taking the p*ss - didn't seem to understand that the "benefits"  didn't make up for the ludicrous premium they quoted.

Maybe you do get 7 with a new car, I only got 3 with the used purchase and assumed it to be the same.  Well technically I only got 2 as the dealer got the date wrong. :rolleyes:

The premium seemed perfectly reasonable for me on the comparison sites.  Maybe that explains the switch to EUI if no one was paying the high premiums before!

31 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Maybe you do get 7 with a new car, I only got 3 with the used purchase and assumed it to be the same.  Well technically I only got 2 as the dealer got the date wrong. :rolleyes:

Lol, no I checked the Ford website after my previous post in case I was dreaming, but no, it's 3 (new or used) now. Except for you, of course!😃

I don't like being made fun of yesterday in my local Tesco, 

I wear latex gloves when out which reduces my risk of contracting the virus aswell as saves my hands from so much sanitizer, 

Anyway; Im in South East of Ireland, the staff member on the customer service desk; said there's no sign of snow yet but here comes Elsa, 

Indicating that my blue gloves were making me look like a Disney Princess, 😐

9 hours ago, BigLen said:

I don't like being made fun of yesterday in my local Tesco, 

I suppose things like this often depend on how it was said and how you take it at the time.

We often have a laugh and a joke with the staff in our local Tesco, unlike the nearest Morrison's where the staff are pretty miserable.

Daren't show my Mrs this topic though - she often wears blue latex gloves while shopping during the current situation - and no-one's ever said she looks like a Disney Princess!😃

• Like 2

On 2/11/2021 at 5:59 PM, TomsFocus said:

Oof makes me wonder about the living costs here in London. In my area to rent a one or two bed flat it's about £1000 to £1200 a month. Add say £200 on top from bills your looking at £1200 to 1400 a month. Would be hard to believe people in my age group being able to save for a house whilst living on rent here

30 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Oof makes me wonder about the living costs here in London. In my area to rent a one or two bed flat it's about £1000 to £1200 a month. Add say £200 on top from bills your looking at £1200 to 1400 a month. Would be hard to believe people in my age group being able to save for a house whilst living on rent here

My electric bill's so expensive because everything's broken here. Inefficient electric heating that costs a huge amount to run but doesn't actually warm the rooms.  Overnight storage heater in the bathroom which is freezing by the evening and even on full whack only managed to get the bathroom to 16c max during the cold snap.  Windows and doors that might as well be left open for all the good closing them does. Broken cooker that seems to put more heat into the kitchen than the food so has to be on for longer than it should.  And I'm not allowed to change to a cheaper company either.

Seeing as this is the the don't like thread...  I don't like that I still can't find any understanding landlords after 6 months trying...  I've got more than enough income to afford a more suitable place now but they just don't want people like me in thier properties and keep coming up with more excuses and loopholes to keep us out.

It's so frustrating as being here is making my health worse...and the only hope I've been clinging on to is moving somewhere more suitable.  But it just doesn't seem likely at all now. :sad:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

My electric bill's so expensive because everything's broken here. Inefficient electric heating that costs a huge amount to run but doesn't actually warm the rooms.  Overnight storage heater in the bathroom which is freezing by the evening and even on full whack only managed to get the bathroom to 16c max during the cold snap.  Windows and doors that might as well be left open for all the good closing them does. Broken cooker that seems to put more heat into the kitchen than the food so has to be on for longer than it should.  And I'm not allowed to change to a cheaper company either.

Seeing as this is the the don't like thread...  I don't like that I still can't find any understanding landlords after 6 months trying...  I've got more than enough income to afford a more suitable place now but they just don't want people like me in thier properties and keep coming up with more excuses and loopholes to keep us out.

It's so frustrating as being here is making my health worse...and the only hope I've been clinging on to is moving somewhere more suitable.  But it just doesn't seem likely at all now. :sad:

From what I could tell in the estate agent im training in, the lettings side of things are active. Seems like though landlords are being racist and not letting certain people in their properties. One landlord said to a colleague don't let no gypsies in the property.

It does take time and I'm sure your not a troublesome tenant.

Best being patient, you don't know what's planned for you 👍. I try and keep this saying in my head especially at the moment with mum disagreeing with my choice going into the financial sector than the science one. Could be god's way of showing me this career and that it might be better for me.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club