Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

13 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The material Faraday pouches won't last forever in a pocket tbh.  They're getting constantly abraded while you're walking around.

Glad mine has sleepy keys!!

Yes that's right Tom. Might be contemplating to switch off the keyless entry and go back to "Shudder" pressing a button on the fob ....oòooohhh my poorly sore fingers 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

Yes that's right Tom. Might be contemplating to switch off the keyless entry and go back to "Shudder" pressing a button on the fob ....oòooohhh my poorly sore fingers 🤣

Tbf, I have liked the keyless entry...means I don't have to keep sanitizing my key everytime I get home! :laugh: 

• Like 1

I don't like hearing that the first of our, already resheduled, gigs of the year has been put back to next year. I fear there will be more to follow. 

https://news.stv.tv/entertainment/guns-n-roses-date-switch-as-show-moves-back-to-glasgow-green?fbclid=IwAR2gng4F4gSwXk7MTNWj-qPg4OO9C3D57R61P20n4DmpR0xVsIZ0aIrOuTM&top

Don't like the heron visiting our garden pond and seeing it fly way with orange fish in it's beak. Only knew the heron was there as our very placid dog that doesn't bark was going bonkers at the patio windows barking and howling.(very unusual sight and sound)  Then shooting off out kitchen dog flap to confront heron. I then saw it fly away. Then 10 mins later it was back on neighbour's house roof. 

Did have netting over pond until a few weeks ago while cleaning out but never got round to putting it back on. 

Since this evening incident I checked on the fish to only find 1 left😲😲😲

Think that fish can go to my dad's pond then I will just have plants in the pond. 

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Don't like the heron visiting our garden pond and seeing it fly way with orange fish in it's beak. Only knew the heron was there as our very placid dog that doesn't bark was going bonkers at the patio windows barking and howling.(very unusual sight and sound)  Then shooting off out kitchen dog flap to confront heron. I then saw it fly away. Then 10 mins later it was back on neighbour's house roof. 

Did have netting over pond until a few weeks ago while cleaning out but never got round to putting it back on. 

Since this evening incident I checked on the fish to only find 1 left😲😲😲

Think that fish can go to my dad's pond then I will just have plants in the pond. 

Not sure who it was but it was on a comedy show (thinking QI maybe) where one of the panellists said that they put out an inflatable crocodile to stop the herons around their pond. Might be a bit too late for your fish now though.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Zico said:

Not sure who it was but it was on a comedy show (thinking QI maybe) where one of the panellists said that they put out an inflatable crocodile to stop the herons around their pond. Might be a bit too late for your fish now though.

its bad enough having nightmares about crocodiles without having an inflatable one in the garden! 😂😂

it was only a few nights ago i was pushing all manor of people at the crocodile that was trying to eat me!! 

even my partner got fed to croc just so i didnt get killed by it. 

• Haha 3

Do you have any muck at the bottom or is it a clean liner?

Few years ago a heron got to Nan's pond and we couldn't see any fish left.  Starting emptying it and found the majority were still in there but had hidden in the dirt at the bottom! 

• Like 1

must have been an aniversary visit. last time i saw heron was 31 march 20. took its photo then. 

Screenshot_20210407-125559_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, iantt said:

must have been an aniversary visit. last time i saw heron was 31 march 20. took its photo then. 

Screenshot_20210407-125559_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored by Just Eat 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, it makes you wonder if the Queen will not be much longer either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zain611 said:

Sad to hear this big news about prince Philip

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11437314

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

Yes, it makes you wonder if the Queen will not be much longer either.

Yes, very sad news. 

I was born the year HM came to the throne so I think I will feel her loss even more when the time comes.

• Like 1

I don't like that last Tuesday evening I was trying to sleep as I was working throughout that night; 

When my next door neighbor (semi-detached) begins to shout at a horse repeatedly on his television; 

The guy is a bar man and hasn't done anything in over a year, and is blowing tax payers money on horses.

Is it cruel of me to put some horse racing from YouTube on my television and turn up the volume then create an imaginary horse called "Job Diversify" 

Then I will shout "Go on Job Diversify" "come on Job Diversify you Stupid Donkey" "Go on Job Diversify"

I find myself becoming increasingly bitter as I get older 😂 were in the Republic of Ireland by the way; still under 5km restrictions with no real line on the horizon yet, 

I'm lucky to retain employment throughout never stopped as I'm part of manufacturing pharmaceutical's.

There are other jobs out there for some people whom could Diversify such as my neighbor, I'm not being cruel in this situation.

• Like 2

@BigLen today my dad got a bit overwhelmed with stress himself. 

Now there's a house down my road which is a HMO full of eastern Europeans. Now these people have been getting complaints from the neirbours on the road due to their stupidity. Last year had a car with no tax park at the end of the road looking to be drug dealing. The house has a few cars on the driveway all untaxed and or uninsured. Sometimes in the night a car from there would be driving fast down the road.

Recently there was one guy from who visits the property with a 3 series which the neirbours found had no tax and insurance. Today the guy decided to park it in the entrance to the alleyway. Me and dad came out the alleyway to take my dad's car out and were blocked in by this car. Dad went to the occupants of that house who just said they don't know who the owner of the car is and then to just call a truck to take it to get scrapped. Later dad called parking enforcement who said they can't do anything as it's on private land. 

@Stoney871 how do you deal with something like this? Council aren't helping so it's leading to the residents on the road to do something which I feel might escalate and lead to police. The occupants of that house are no good and the landlord was no good himself getting into drugs before he rented out the property and moved abroad.

• Sad 1

If the handbrakes on, place a couple of trolley jack's under the rear wheels and pull it out into the road...then it becomes a council problem. :wink:

You could also contact the owner of the alley if you know who it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

If the handbrakes on, place a couple of trolley jack's under the rear wheels and pull it out into the road...then it becomes a council problem. :wink:

You could also contact the owner of the alley if you know who it is.

Well one of the neirbours in the group chat we created put a picture up of the car parked halfway on the driveway of that HMO. Half the car is on the pavement so someone can try and report that. In that picture also you can see an elderly gentleman in his electric scooter having to go around the car as it's on the pavement

Been told the guy sleeps in the car but weird why one of the guys in the house told my dad to get it scrapped then next day move it out the way.

I think the alleyway basically is basically owned by the people who have garages there so my road and the next road. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 11:22 AM, TomsFocus said:

I don't like that I've had the Focus a week now and my stomach still isn't getting on with it. :sad:

Now looking into what my options are regarding a return or exchange or anything.

If anyone would be interested in buying it (you won't get a factory build now) drop me a PM.  It's an Active X Vignale Edition, 155ps MHEV in Magnetic grey.

You sure you don't have to give it some time before you get used to it?

4 minutes ago, zain611 said:

You sure you don't have to give it some time before you get used to it?

Sadly not.  I knew the first day or two would be difficult but I've done over 5 hours (around 100 miles) in it now and it's got worse rather than better.  Problem is my stomach is permanently damaged so it's not like that could improve over time.  It's so bad that I've had to temp insure the Golf to get some shopping each week. 

Have asked Ford if they'd buy it back but they weren't in a position to do that.  

The only offer I've had so far was from a car buying service at 33% less than the RRP!! :o. I expect to lose some money on it but can't go that much.

So basically I've decided the best thing to do right now is to buy a new mattress and TV and forget about cars for a few days...  If only I didn't live on a car forum eh! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Okay, so I said I post over here on the Things I do like thread...

I'd heard that the bottom of the rear wheel arch just behind the side skirt is a place where surface rust can start, so I removed both rear wheels and give the whole area a good clean. After pulling back the wheel arch liner you can see that the very bottom of the arch that isn't protected takes a lot of stone impacts. And there is just a small amount of surface rust starting there now. I've given it a coat of ACF-50 to stop it getting any worse for now but will rub it down and repaint in a few weeks to make it like new again.

What I really don't like though is the red paint flaking off on one of my rear calipers. I've touched up both rear calipers once before (with the Halfords red caliper paint), but for some reason the original paint from Ford on the rear calipers just doesn't seem as durable as on the front calipers.

Does anyone know anywhere reputable in the Bristol area that could remove the calipers, have them stripped and powder coated and then refit?

• Like 1

I didnt like bird poo all down the rear quarter and passenger door this morning , just one day after having the car washed.

Thankfully I carry some liquid spray polish and had a spare microfiber cloth in the boot so ended up doing the door and rear quarter in the works car park before my shift. Got some odd looks from a few colleagues 😮

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 10:53 AM, BigLen said:

Speaking of DIY;

I don't like the job I'm currently doing at home; I'm running two Cat7 network cables from the living room through to the kitchen, 

Here is the rear of my cabinet inside the living room where all network, satellite and terrestrial services are distributed, A.K.A where all the magic happens

20180923_102713.jpg.c0d9b2189a6210744ac66a72fcce121f.thumb.jpg.4a78b5fcf92a388b4d10df309d230de4.jpg

Below is the existing clipsal plate which I've fitted in the living room; it feeds three rooms upstairs, 

IMG_20200917_174522.thumb.jpg.9fe28ef050a851eba009f0b7cc530610.jpg

Has female sockets in the rear as well as the face to take pre-terminated cables.

IMG_20200917_174534.thumb.jpg.b30b4a8c72b193bec9a156cb58d8e3da.jpg

I'll be replacing this with a five port clipsal face plate currently on order from electricalwholesaler.ie 

E35WE.png.d47474c91b0b4f2ccebfc493ee287c8d.png

I've gotten the loan of an SDS drill from the maintenance department in work and  drilled a 12mm hole through from the rear of the existing network socket plate in the living room, I don't do enough DIY to own an SDS drill I just have an ordinary think there called HSS, 

Anyway; 

IMG_20200917_174527.thumb.jpg.202102225898b75f2a17a00cd637f144.jpg

IMG_20200917_174507.thumb.jpg.eeccf1a5d433de8f474ddf4f11d78be3.jpg

Here we are now inside the kitchen and it looks like a gun shot in the wall 😅

IMG_20200917_174613.thumb.jpg.7c5fdaa970b1586946c7b5652efb1888.jpg

The wall is concrete block with 1.5" insulated plasterboard on both sides, which makes the job slightly easier when bringing the cables from the hole to the floor I can cut the wall using a fresh Stanley blade as it's only plasterboard with foam inside, 

IMG-20200920-WA0000.thumb.jpg.5b5dd677769d1dd5b827e5756207a306.jpg

The hardest job is then to use a hammer and chisel; to chip away the plaster along the bottom of the neighbouring wall behind where the skirting board would be; along underneath the radiator to a double socket close to the back door, 

IMG_20200917_174624.thumb.jpg.a59864571558b98f9fced91c774a55a6.jpg

I've then to take off that double socket and raise it up another foot higher on the wall fitting a double + single wall plate which is also currently on order from electrical wholesalers 

20190609_232207.thumb.jpg.85dafd07166eca1f6f2f27b2d7cdbc91.jpg.1f060a63f247e45b54d7c5b083bf4303.jpg

To then house the double socket and a twin plate containing two RJ45 sockets.

273846400__1.JPG.thumb.jpg.704f4cb8384c2e304ddec4d2b83e77c9.jpg

I'm currently waiting on the Keystone RJ45 socket inserts designed to fit in to the Schneider Electric clipsal classic wall plate; waiting for the inserts to arrive from Australia, purchased through eBay, 

Clipsal are manufactured by Schneider Electric whom are an Australian company, and although they provide a uk range of 240-250v sockets and switches; there auxiliary inserts are not freely available around here although they fit directly in to the UK wall plates, so I'm currently waiting for there arrival; here's a picture of one previously purchased along side a HDMI variant.

20180218_164308.thumb.jpg.c69955919ecf2fdad9659b642dd70d67.jpg.6f306d89a4dcadb4bb48600d90935043.jpg

The next step then is to purchase a length of kitchen counter worktop from IKEA along with some brackets and a stainless steel leg for the front left corner of the top slightly above the height of the radiator there but not spanning across as far as the radiator; the top will come across from the right corner to around the same point as the dogs tail there 

IMG-20200920-WA0001.thumb.jpg.0e7f9ce6053ac8b4a5e22f1e0133e6a3.jpg

I'll fit it to this corner with the new socket position being situated closely under the countertop; 

The plan then is to have an all-in-one network printer/scanner fitted on this countertop in the corner of the kitchen plugged in to the network which will increase desk space upstairs where the unit is temporarily in operation. 

IMG-20200920-WA0005.thumb.jpg.2894d4930e8f376b5eb3af143f118c55.jpg

I used to outsource all printing and scanning to our local library but since covid19 I've decided to become more self sufficient. 

Getting back to the main point again then; I don't like having to chase out the walls followed by filling and sanding, 

On 9/20/2020 at 7:37 PM, BigLen said:

Plasterboard is very hard on Stanley blades, took two blades to cut out this section of plasterboard, 

Scouring over and over like breaking out of Alcatraz

IMG-20200920-WA0010.thumb.jpg.e9e4d9f20f3100f1ad000f12793e3d9c.jpg

I fitted masking tape over the plaster to help reduce egg shell cracking when cutting in with a Stanley blade. 

IMG-20200920-WA0012.thumb.jpg.d8bfe7ab5684f103fa252b8d913c9ebd.jpg

All cut through now;

IMG-20200920-WA0014.thumb.jpg.946abb351d46a9f6758f15cb2e858ea1.jpg

Peeled off the masking tape,

IMG-20200920-WA0008.thumb.jpg.d24140287656d56bbfed3e3ea88367ae.jpg

Caught the inside paper layer of the plaster board and pulled which took out the centre pieces revealing the insulation,

IMG-20200920-WA0007.thumb.jpg.729f508771f74298002cf25e3bbb510f.jpg

I then cut out the insulation using a kitchen knife as the Stanley blade wasn't long enough. 

IMG-20200920-WA0018.thumb.jpg.9ba4c40912fc39182c91442eb793564c.jpg

Now stripped out to the original block wall and chased out along the floor, 

My neighbor's stayed at home today so I decided to leave the hammer and chisel until tomorrow when it's officially a work day. 

I'll add all this information in to one single post on my living room project thread when it's finally completed in the coming weeks.

I'll be filling the holes with fire rated expanding foam then trim it back by a few millimetres for filling sanding and painting.

The majority of the cable will be just covered by expanding foam as it will be behind the skirting board or kick board as some may call it, 

Next stage of progress will be in a few weeks posting on the thread below as it will then be something which I do like.

On 10/18/2020 at 7:43 PM, BigLen said:

Update on progress from above; 

i started hammer and chiseling the wall again yesterday morning and fitted the conduit.
started off with a small hammer and flat headed screwdriver to gently break in to the plaster on all areas to be removed before going at it with the lump hammer and bigger chisels.  

a.thumb.jpg.1e2a062e50aa6293765c82bdd363aac0.jpg

b.thumb.jpg.884132598b756fae1762f19f5da7fce2.jpg

c.thumb.jpg.03029ff90c5b76290fc208b7828e4d8f.jpg

i kept stopping to check the depth and finally got it deep enough for fitting, 
to allow room for filling across the surface. 

d.thumb.jpg.8fe7ec2b9bf9eaa1abc729717f078ea9.jpg

e.thumb.jpg.3bfb0cabbe315325a3e9df53230357ac.jpg

with the vertical section complete, i then had a coffee prior to chasing out the plaster from along the bottom of the wall to allow space for the cables. 

f.thumb.jpg.15648ebef8b637501300599d33185da9.jpg

g.thumb.jpg.3db62a7ff4410c537b24407307a4db13.jpg

i then ran in the two 7 meter Cat7 cables through from the living room to the new socket in the kitchen, 

h.thumb.jpg.2c84a0a1b9704ce9c78acc983c7598f8.jpg

I chased a good clearance around 15mm between the radiator pipes and the network cables which now have unibond foam insulation filling that 15mm gap. 

i.thumb.jpg.099a3f884ec3551909c5159c4866ebf8.jpg

filled the large gaps and area along the floor with Unibond white-tec expanding foam, its four times thicker than other brands and remans consistent inside; meaning there's no large air pockets when you trim it back, 
I left it overnight to dry, 

j.thumb.jpg.29399886406c6f649aaf02ceb512026d.jpg

I trimmed it back this morning using a kitchen knife, 
the area along the floor is cut flush with the existing plaster and wont need any further filling as it will be covered by a skirting board, 

however I've trimmed in to the wall a bit on the vertical sections to allow some space to apply some Pollyfilla and sand smooth, 

k.thumb.jpg.d3a6cf4fae02545687f527dfd3b3b0ee.jpg

l.thumb.jpg.2fe54828795e8003a46badc931effedd.jpg

I've now applied the first lot of filler around the conduit and leaving it now to dry, ill resume progress next weekend, 
I've purchased a small sample pot of Johnston's Neon red paint and a small brush a few months ago, 
I've applied it to areas where there are now pipes and network cables fitted inside the walls; where there is a risk the flooring installer may accidently drive a nail in to the wall, 

m.thumb.jpg.3ea7adab487d592889755f3719404100.jpg

so this picture isn't photoshopped in any way lol that really is bright red paint on the bottom of the wall, 
makes it easier for me not to have to explain "don't put a nail here or here" I just say "don't nail anywhere that you see red paint" 
has worked for the floors upstairs as all radiators in my house now have the pipes exiting from the wall, makes it a lot easier to clean the floors. 
ill get back to filling and sanding smooth next weekend aswell as daisy chaining 2.5mm twin & earth cable down to the original double socket location from the newly installed socket.

i think my next post on this will be in the "Things I Do Like" thread; because it will then be finished lol 

well started this project on the 20th September last year 😅

I do like getting back to it yesterday; for the first time since 18th October, 

ive cleared out the kitchen; sand it down with an orbital sander followed by filling again where required and now its finally ready for paint, 

the project has been put on hold due to covid restrictions; Ikea is closed and they want 80 euro to deliver anything; would only cost me 15 euro on diesel to drive to my local store, i need ikea open to purchase a stainless steel leg, some brackets and a length of kitchen counter top in order to create a breakfast bar in the corner of the kitchen where the printer can finally rest on. 

here is the kitchen after todays sanding, 

1.thumb.jpg.a1a885a4f8fc66df59d68ea36911656a.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.eadb53f6e881f2e5bf995d520cc33b59.jpg

I've booked the next two days off work to get it painted, 

• Like 2

Had a little slow speed accident today 🤦. Was turning out right from the cemetery after paying respects to my great gran who passed away exactly a month ago from today. Looked left and right but didn't look in front before realising there was a road works sign in front. Sadly braked late and hit the metal legs of it. 

Thankfully only left a little scuff on the bottom of the bumper with a little bit of chipped paint.

Screenshot_20210419-210316~2.png

• Sad 2

@zain611reminds me of a time at work. I had a dinner break at our waste transfer station. After dinner drove onto the weighbridge, got ticket etc and drove off. It was a very windy day and when I started off down the road I could hear a kinda rumbling sound. Didn't pay too much attention to it, just thought it was the wind, until I passed a work colleague going the other way! He gave me a shout on the 2 way radio that apparently I had a traffic cone stuck under the front of the truck! 

Sometimes at lunch the operatives would place a cone in front of the weighbridge barrier to stop folk coming in when they were closed and I forgot it was there! 🙄 Managed a mile before I stopped! 😃

• Like 2