Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

I changed the filter every 2 years and always emptied

Well just to add a little extra, it was only serviced 2 weeks ago. Then less than 2 days later it was warning me that the ad-blue tank was nearly empty, and three days later it ran out of screen wash. Nice to know Arnold Clark had checked everything over !!

So if the diesel system has a water trap, which I expect it does then I'll have to deal with the problem myself, as I'm not wasting time or money going to the dealer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unofix said:

Well just to add a little extra, it was only serviced 2 weeks ago. Then less than 2 days later it was warning me that the ad-blue tank was nearly empty, and three days later it ran out of screen wash. Nice to know Arnold Clark had checked everything over !!

So if the diesel system has a water trap, which I expect it does then I'll have to deal with the problem myself, as I'm not wasting time or money going to the dealer.

I don't know what is supposed to be included in the service schedule for your engine but the point I was trying to make was that having water in your Diesel is not a routine thing.

If there is water then it must have got there either because of contaminated fuel from a fuel station or somehow into the fuel system on your car, unless there is a wiring or switch glitch.

• Like 1

Finding the condition under the Motorway bridge a little bit worrying whilst out on our walk today......

802136669_20211123_1414562.thumb.jpg.f13e1786579101d2e5c17d2cdaa912e4.jpg1500489753_20211123_1415172.thumb.jpg.4ebf3a32ff2e69fce71f238de75e1033.jpg

• Sad 1

Some of you may remember the issues I had replacing my fridge freezer a few months ago...well, it's still crap, unreliable and untrustworthy.  But on the plus side I can barely eat anything now anyway lol.  Still hoping I can move at some point and will have a big enough space for a better quality one...  

Anyway, when I was looking at them, I noticed most modern fridge freezers have a minimum operating temp of 16c.  Seems a bit weird to me as most peoples kitchens aren't heated are they?  I knew my kitchen would dip below that occasionally overnight...but it's already spending most of the day below that and we're only in November!! :unsure:  Gets up to about 20c when cooking but drops back down much quicker than I'd expected.

Just wondered if anyone had actually broken a modern fridge freezer due to low kitchen temp?  Obviously my old fridge freezer survived it fine, I'm not sure which part(s) are the delicate ones in the modern 'forced air' type fridge freezer?

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just wondered if anyone had actually broken a modern fridge freezer due to low kitchen temp?  Obviously my old fridge freezer survived it fine, I'm not sure which part(s) are the delicate ones in the modern 'forced air' type fridge freezer?

Tom, my fridge/freezer as you may remember was bought in 1986, a Hotpoint. for the last 30 years it has been located in my (unheated) garage, and has suffered no ill effects whatsoever due to surrounding environment. The fridge works perfectly (although repaired a decade ago with a new thermostat), and the freezer works to it's -18c parameter, only issue is a build up of ice due to very old technology! You know me well enough to know it won't be going to landfill until it stops doing it's job and is beyond economical repair 🤣

(although it cannot be described as 'modern' LOL)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, my fridge/freezer as you may remember was bought in 1986, a Hotpoint. for the last 30 years it has been located in my (unheated) garage, and has suffered no ill effects whatsoever due to surrounding environment. The fridge works perfectly (although repaired a decade ago with a new thermostat), and the freezer works to it's -18c parameter, only issue is a build up of ice due to very old technology! You know me well enough to know it won't be going to landfill until it stops doing it's job and is beyond economical repair 🤣

(although it cannot be described as 'modern' LOL)

I do remember but that's not much help for my query lol.  I know an old fridge freezer will be fine, it's this new sh*te that I don't have any experience with! :tongue:  

I do regret getting rid of the old fridge freezer now.  It was never particularly good and needed very frequent defrosting...which I was struggling to physically manage.  Thought a frost free model would be less hassle...and it fairness it is frost free, but mainly because it seems to be blowing hot air around the freezer every couple of days...  Honestly can't believe technology has reached the point where we're making a freezer less hassle by just not keeping the food frozen in it... :laugh: 

Tbf, this is a cheap Chinese freezer as it's all I could fit in the space I have.  My Mum has a couple of slightly older tech frost free models from the 2000s (one in a garage) which are programmed differently so the temp fluctuations in hers aren't anywhere near as bad as they are in mine.  Trying to get the program info from the manufacturers was impossible though, we had to do our own testing and recording to work it out!  I did try to pass my findings on to the manufacturer of my fridge but couldn't even get past the customer service fools sadly...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I know an old fridge freezer will be fine, it's this new sh*te that I don't have any experience with! :tongue:  

Tom, sadly there are numerous examples of when 'old' technology was far better than new sh*te!

The example of Concorde, which flew at 1440Mph, is my favourite. Yes, there would be no chance of me in h*ll of ever flying her, but I just loved the fact that it was there.

Over 20 years ago, my phone text service had an option of 'reading it out loud' albeit it a bit robotically, which was great when driving!

Old analogue radios changed channels instantly, while 'new' DAB takes a few seconds to tune to a new channel. I'm sure you have your own examples, indeed, an old fashioned fridge/freezer didn't need to be beside a central heating radiator before it worked LOL

• Like 1

Our kitchen is a steady 15 degrees as is most of the house tbh.

Not had any issues with the Fridge freezer which now around 5 yrs old and halfway through its warranty period.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 1:57 PM, Wino said:

Our kitchen is a steady 15 degrees as is most of the house tbh.

Not had any issues with the Fridge freezer which now around 5 yrs old and halfway through its warranty period.

15c is a bit chilly for me in a living room or bathroom.  I was surprised that the kitchen was so cold but of course you don't just sit in there inactive.

I've had several things breaking in the cold over the last couple of weeks...loo seat metal hinge snapped, metal basin tap lever snapped, piece of plastic trim on the bottom of my TV snapped...and a few small lumps of artex dropped off the kitchen ceiling!!  :unsure:. They seem to have been covering nail heads holding up the plasterboard so I guess it's just the heat cycles in the metal...  Now I'm worried about what else is going to break next though!

On 11/13/2021 at 5:15 PM, StephenFord said:

Black Friday

Don't UK retailers realise that this is a specific American holiday to kick start the Christmas retail gorge the day following Thanksgiving (always the 4th Thursday in November)! We do NOT celebrate Thanksgiving here so the whole event for us is a nonsense...  Is it compulsory for us to import every bit of cr*p American culture??

What a dilemma. Extinction Rebellion, who I despise, are holding protests today specifically against Black Friday, including at some amazon distribution centers. Want to give them a pat on the back, but it does make my skin crawl! 🤣

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1527287/manchester-airport-news-extinction-rebellion-protest-amazon-warehouse-black-friday

Though does seem there is an increasing backlash against this ugly event!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/nov/21/black-friday-largest-boycott-planned-by-independent-retailers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

specifically against Black Friday

Since on Black Friday there is always at least 50% off, and since SCS furniture always have a sale on 365 days a year with everything less than half price. Does that mean SCS will be giving me money to take their stuff away ? 🤣

• Haha 1

I haven't seen anything worth buying so far today...  :unsure: 

Anyone actually found deals on something they wanted?

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yep, Asda had Pineapple on roll back to 80p from £1.45! Great stuff... 😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I checked, and Ford aren't offering 50% off the price of a new car. So no.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

No so far. 

Majority of stuff is end of line stock and for a better word ***** they cant get rid of.

But on the other hand we are really busy today 37k items to shift instead of the usual 26k.

Long day ahead .......

• Like 1

I’ll probably buy a Garmin rear light, cycle computer and mount bundle.It is on offer, whether it’s got anything to do with Black Friday I don’t know👍

• Like 1

Cars...  I'm probably on the wrong forum! :laugh:

Haven't been able to drive for a while now, it's incredibly frustrating and restrictive.  Not even unlocked the Golf in over a month but MOT is due so I've had to ask a relative to take it there tomorrow...  Went to check bulbs etc yesterday, and found the battery dead.  :sad:  Sure it wasn't that long ago when I charged it so didn't expect that.  Managed to get a bit of charge in it this morning and just hope it holds enough into tomorrow!  I suspect the battery may need replacing though.  It's never charged properly in winter so that won't be helping, BMS may not have been setup when the battery was replaced before I bought it.

What do we reckon the chances of passing are?  Bearing in mind I can't check anything other than easy visuals.  I won't be surprised if it fails on brakes or suspension.  And it was bumped in a carpark earlier in the year (not my fault at all, right lane, indicating right, looking right, a truck cuts across from the left lane and swipes the bumper and wing!) so the headlight alignment could be off as well.

Anyway, while I was out there, thought I'd run the Focus for a bit...and immediately the idle vibrations were really intrusive...  I remember complaining about it at the time (along with the ride) but had forgotten since.   I don't know how the rest of you ignore that!  Thought maybe I might have been hypersensitive after not being in a car for so long, but when I did get the Golf started, there are no vibrations felt in there at all...just feels like sitting on a sofa.  The Focus feels like sitting on the washing machine during spin cycle! :rolleyes:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

What do we reckon the chances of passing are?

40 odd years ago, I use to stress about MOTs, trying to get everything checked, and it was all a waste of time, it always failed from something that just blindsided you. Now, I just put the car in for MOT and then get fixed what they say needs fixed. No stress, and a perfect 'pass' 2nd go! Good luck buddy, you'll be fine...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Good luck buddy, you'll be fine...

Is it Tom or the Golf that's getting MOT'd ?

Golf might pass, not sure about Tom 🤣

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, StephenFord said:

40 odd years ago, I use to stress about MOTs, trying to get everything checked, and it was all a waste of time, it always failed from something that just blindsided you. Now, I just put the car in for MOT and then get fixed what they say needs fixed. No stress, and a perfect 'pass' 2nd go! Good luck buddy, you'll be fine...

I suppose that works if you've got a trustworthy garage and aren't a pale, scrawny, nervous guy. :laugh: 

I've always had issues with MOTs & garage repairs.  Initially trained as an electrician straight from school.  Learnt to drive during that time and had so many garage issues within 12 months that I trained to be a vehicle tech instead.  That way I could at least fix my own cars and know when I was being taken for a ride on MOTs. :rolleyes: 

I 'think' I've got a decent garage for MOT now (used twice before) but not sure I'd trust them to make repairs.  The frustration of having the knowledge to fix stuff, but no longer the ability, doesn't seem to be diminishing over time. :whistling: 

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I 'think' I've got a decent garage for MOT now (used twice before) but not sure I'd trust them to make repairs. 

NI carry out MOTs differently to you. Over here, all MOT centers are government run, they are not 'garages' and carry out no repairs, simply do the mandated test impartially with it all documented on pretty HiTech computer equipment. So there is no incentive to tout for business by saying something failed just to gain the profit from repairing it.

1810507246_motnicenter.thumb.jpg.1934e36ed5d317a121c83276861d16f3.jpg

All personnel have to pass a 'poker face' test though as during the test, their facial expression gives absolutely no clue whatsoever how your car is getting on! LOL 🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

Speaking of MOTs...... I don't like this!

Is that a nice way of them telling you that there's more of your car broken than actually works ? 🤔

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, unofix said:

Is that a nice way of them telling you that there's more of your car broken than actually works ? 🤔

It's looking that way 🙄 it's getting like its owner, old and worn! 😔

• Haha 1

Well that was a fun trip home. About two seconds after hitting an unseen pothole 10 minutes from home the TPMS warning goes off...

I pulled into a lay-by and got out to discover the tyre deflating through a pinch near the rim :ranting:

2 hours later the AA get me home on one of their universal spare wheels. I've now got TyresOnTheDrive coming tomorrow to replace a 2 year old PS4 for £120 :sad:

• Sad 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club