Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

22 minutes ago, MarksST said:

So if someone has an issue, either with the car or themselves it’s ok to just slow down and carry on in the outside lane and not bother to signal this using the hazard lights? Anyone that has an issue with this should seek retraining and or therapy, good to know, thanks.

Isn't it illegal to travel with the hazard lights on ? 

Common sense usual applies. If it's an issue with the car then the correct thing would be to pull over and get it recovered but seems as the car was travelling at 30 in 50 them maybe there was some other issue like driving on a space saver wheel/tyre so taking it steady.

The original point I wa trying to make is that just because the speed limit is 50mph you DON'T have to travel at that speed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wino said:

is it? Driving in the right lane unless overtaking is ok is it?

Common sense usual applies. If it's an issue with the car then the correct thing would be to pull over and get it recovered but seems as the car was travelling at 30 in 50 them maybe there was some other issue like driving on a space saver wheel/tyre so taking it steady.

so stay in the left lane, where’s it’s easier to use any hard shoulder, lay-by or verge.

The original point I wa trying to make is that just because the speed limit is 50mph you DON'T have to travel at that speed. 

correct but, the majority using that road, if conditions allow would be nearer or at the limit, don’t like driving at that speed, stay off that type of road, stay on the left or stay at home.

11 minutes ago, Wino said:

I think it is👍 Sometimes when there’s a tailgater behind me I’m tempted.

3 minutes ago, williamweb said:

I think it is👍

Well, as you’ve both assumed she had a medical issue or problem with the car, which could both cause a hazard then no the use of them wouldn’t be illegal.

@OilSheikh I've kind of noticed this as well. Thankfully most of the time I'm going or coming back from work. I leave at 6:30 in the morning and roads are just about quiet. I do get those people who sadly do 20 in a 30 which I don't understand why however I never react to them. Could just be the time of day being early morning though with me driving wakes me up.

A bit baffling to why that person was in the inside lane doing that speed when it might if been save to do that in the outside lane or just pull over in a hard shoulder.

8 minutes ago, MarksST said:

Well, as you’ve both assumed she had a medical issue or problem with the car, which could both cause a hazard then no the use of them wouldn’t be illegal.

Haven’t assumed anything,I wasn’t their.

Just now, williamweb said:

Haven’t assumed anything,I wasn’t their.

There

Just now, williamweb said:

Yes I know.

3 minutes ago, MarksST said:

There

there.

1 hour ago, MarksST said:

It is illegal to drive with hazards on.  Only for use when parked causing a hazard OR for a very short period when approaching a hazard on the motorway.  They're not even to be used when being towed, despite popular belief! 

Interesting subject though...and the reason that roads are often chaotic and always will be.  Many people have different understandings of both legalities and courtesies and don't see it from anyone else's perspective.  The same is true in many aspects of life, but with roads we are forced together with everyone regardless of their views, whereas in most other situations you'll generally be with more like minded people.

It's now been nearly 6 months since I was able to drive 'properly' but I can't access the health system without driving so I'm stuck in a catch 22 situation and need to try and get back OTR as soon as possible now.  I've been considering some sort of 'warning' sticker for the rear window just to advise that I may make more mistakes than you'd expect from a 'regular' driver after a period off the road.  I feel it's courteous to let people know that and hope they may act with more consideration as well.  Trouble is, the only options seem to be either the standard 'disability' symbol of the wheelchair...but I don't use a wheelchair so doesn't feel morally right...or the sunflower symbol, but I don't know how many 'normal' people would even recognise the sunflower as a sign of disability/health conditions?  Anyone got any thoughts on that?  I will also add, I'm not overly keen on 'advertising' my issues to everyone, with the concern that I could be followed into a car park or followed home as an easier target for theft.

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've been considering some sort of 'warning' sticker for the rear window just to advise that I may make more mistakes than you'd expect from a 'regular' driver after a period off the road. 

In Northern Ireland, all newly qualified drivers are required to display an, 'R' plate front & rear of car for 12 months to show they are new and likely to crash in to you LOL They are also restricted to a speed limit of 45Mph whilst they get acclimatised to being on a road with lives of others in their hands... (I could post you a couple out of you want 🤣)

At 17, I was caught speeding and had my R plates extended for 6 months!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

In Northern Ireland, all newly qualified drivers are required to display an, 'R' plate front & rear of car for 12 months to show they are new and likely to crash in to you LOL They are also restricted to a speed limit of 45Mph whilst they get acclimatised to being on a road with lives of others in their hands... (I could post you a couple out of you want 🤣)

We do have P plates over here for that purpose, but they're not compulsory and very few use them.  As with the wheelchair symbol though, that doesn't seem 'right' in my situation!

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

We do have P plates over here for that purpose, but they're not compulsory ...

mmm... kinda like facemasks then LOL I can't imagine any 17 year old boy (or girl) over here choosing to be limited in that way voluntarily, it's compulsory here with no exceptions... It's a big deal the day your R plates come down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

mmm... kinda like facemasks then LOL I can't imagine any 17 year old boy (or girl) over here choosing to be limited in that way, it's compulsory here with no exceptions... It's a big deal the day your R plates come down.

There's no restrictions with P plates.  It's literally just a 'courtesy' sign to let other drivers know that you're a new driver. 

Are you allowed to do 70mph as a learner in NI?  Or are you totally restricted to 45 until the day the R plates come off?  Seems less safe allowing an unaccompanied 18 year old to try 70mph than to try it with an instructor and dual pedals! :unsure: 

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Are you allowed to do 70mph as a learner in NI?  Or are you totally restricted to 45 until the day the R plates come off?  Seems less safe allowing an unaccompanied 18 year old to try 70mph than to try it with an instructor and dual pedals! :unsure: 

Nope, you are limited to 45Mph as a learner and R driver, that's why it's such a big deal when you are allowed to take your plates down, I remember being nervous, but I'm a bit of a coward at the best of times LOL

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've been considering some sort of 'warning' sticker for the rear window just to advise that I may make more mistakes than you'd expect from a 'regular' driver after a period off the road

You just need to drive with a hat on and everyone will give you lots of room because they will think you are a doddery old git 😁

Seriously I give lots of room to people who drive with hats on, because that is usually how they drive.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Seriously I give lots of room to people who drive with hats on, because that is usually how they drive.

The very reason I often drive with a hat  🤣

• Haha 1

Tom , I've got the ideal sticker to put in the back window, and would have the effect of other road users backing off. 🤣🤣🤣

Know I would back off if seen. To be fair, I would probably stop and go in reverse🤣🤣

IMG_20220123_135221547.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

You just need to drive with a hat on and everyone will give you lots of room because they will think you are a doddery old git 😁

I have got a flat cap...maybe I'll use that! :laugh:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Wino said:

Part 1, Just because the speed limit is 50mph it doesn't mean you have to travel at the maximum speed. The car that was in front of you may of had an issue and as was driving slower for a genuine reason.

Have you thought of going on a driver retrain course or perhaps some mediation to learn how to chill and relax whilst driving ? 

2nd part. Yeah there's always someone else less impatient as yourself ( worth remembering).

3rd part, re-read part 1.

If you are on the right lane and there is no on in front in this lane for miles, I do not consider it acceptable to go at 30 instead of 50, when you should be going at 50! If someone wants to do 30 in a 50 road, please get behind a lorry and stay there for all your life. Rest of us value our time and have places to be.

14 hours ago, williamweb said:

What’s the problem when you’re keeping your distance.

But, why would anyone be driving slowly for miles with no one in front. You are just causing a queue of traffic behind you for no reason.

8 hours ago, iantt said:

Tom , I've got the ideal sticker to put in the back window, and would have the effect of other road users backing off. 🤣🤣🤣

Know I would back off if seen. To be fair, I would probably stop and go in reverse🤣🤣

IMG_20220123_135221547.jpg

Some years ago, I thought of getting a sticker that read : Played every Burnout last night. Will not hesitate to do a Takedown. 🤪

I have seen some teenage lads with something along the lines of - I am driving slowly because my dad decided to put a Blackbox in my car. Don't blame me, blame my dad!

11 hours ago, zain611 said:

@OilSheikh I've kind of noticed this as well. Thankfully most of the time I'm going or coming back from work. I leave at 6:30 in the morning and roads are just about quiet. I do get those people who sadly do 20 in a 30 which I don't understand why however I never react to them. Could just be the time of day being early morning though with me driving wakes me up.

A bit baffling to why that person was in the inside lane doing that speed when it might if been save to do that in the outside lane or just pull over in a hard shoulder.

Zain, if I saw you in your Fiesta, I would be going at 20 on purpose! 😁

Jokes aside, I think people don't know that 30 is allowed on high street kind of roads used by buses. They think that the speed limit is 20 because it is in a residential area. Mind you, I drove through the city ( Central London ) on Friday and not only do you have to pay a congestion charge of £15 and have to stop at traffic lights every hundred yards, you have to drive at max 20.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OilSheikh said:

But, why would anyone be driving slowly for miles with no one in front. You are just causing a queue of traffic behind you for no reason.

At least you’re moving ha ha ,life could be a lot worse and a bonus you get to your destination safely 👍

4 hours ago, williamweb said:

At least you’re moving ha ha ,life could be a lot worse and a bonus you get to your destination safely 👍

He’d get to it just as safely if that ***** followed the Highway Code, kept left and let everyone get on their way.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club