Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't like seeing Mince Pies and other festive items on the Tesco website! :shocking:

On the plus side, at least Ian's avatar is almost relevant again. :biggrin: 

Oh yeah, mince pies🤪🤪🤪. Forgot about my avatar. Used to change them as per seasons , events but haven't bothered this year obviously. 

• Like 1

What are the chances of someone else having the same name and date of birth in the UK. 

Credit ref agency think I'm 2 people at once living at 2 addresses with 2 partners 100 miles apart. Only difference I haven't maxed out 8 credit cards and have unsecured loans of another £40k living in a 3 bed terraced house with £100k mortgage. So much info I have on him and previous addresses. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, iantt said:

What are the chances of someone else having the same name and date of birth in the UK. 

Credit ref agency think I'm 2 people at once living at 2 addresses with 2 partners 100 miles apart. Only difference I haven't maxed out 8 credit cards and have unsecured loans of another £40k living in a 3 bed terraced house with £100k mortgage. So much info I have on him and previous addresses. 

I'd be slightly concerned tbh, if their details are being linked with your own, then how much info does the other person have on you ? 

I know two other people with your name lol!  Given my small circle, I'd guess there a quite a few across the UK.

Date of birth is an interesting one though.  I was trying to work out the odds of this last week as you may have seen earlier in the thread.  I randomly came across someone with exactly the same DOB as my own and wondered what the odds of that are.

25 minutes ago, Wino said:

I'd be slightly concerned tbh, if their details are being linked with your own, then how much info does the other person have on you ? 

Yeah, exactly. My good credit score is enabling is loans and cards. He just got the 25k loan then it lowered my credit score. That's how I found out. 

I did know about this person before a few years ago with the same issue and that was with Experian . Thought I had got that sorted but now found out the same issue with  TransUnion via my banking app. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Yeah, exactly. My good credit score is enabling is loans and cards. He just got the 25k loan then it lowered my credit score. That's how I found out. 

I did know about this person before a few years ago with the same issue and that was with Experian . Thought I had got that sorted but now found out the same issue with  TransUnion via my banking app. 

It makes you wonder if that person is real or has just got hold of your details, I don't know of any way to check. That's one of the reasons I don't like giving away too much information on social media.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Date of birth is an interesting one though.  I was trying to work out the odds of this last week as you may have seen earlier in the thread.  I randomly came across someone with exactly the same DOB as my own and wondered what the odds of that are.

It does happen. I remember when I was a child a private detective came to our house to serve divorce papers on my father from a random  woman in England whose estranged husband had the same name and date of birth as my father.

• Like 2

The person appears to be real. There are two other people with the same surname at the house he lives in. I've even found a landline  number associated with the same address. Previous addresses show him and his wife at those addresses too. 

Perhaps I should ring him up and pretend to be sky or such and ask him to confirm his name and date of birth. lol . Also could quite easily find his land registry for the house he bought and lives in since 2004. That will show his name too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I seem to know so much about him without really trying. Google maps shows his house. Screenshot_20220922-223818-842.thumb.png.f7854eafa4d4527703f2ca7f955b3373.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I know two other people with your name lol!  Given my small circle, I'd guess there a quite a few across the UK.

If you really simplify the maths by ignoring the age demographics and just assume the population is evenly spread across the average life expectancy in the UK of 81 years, then you’d expect about 2200 people on average to share a DOB. Even if you consider it over 100 years that’s only 36,525 possible DOBs so about 1800 people with the same on average based on the UK population of 67m.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tizer said:

It makes you wonder if that person is real or has just got hold of your details, I don't know of any way to check. That's one of the reasons I don't like giving away too much information on social media.

It does happen. I remember when I was a child a private detective came to our house to serve divorce papers on my father from a random woman in England whose estranged husband had the same name and date of birth as my father.

Bank security question - "What's your favourite drink?" :biggrin: 

Matching both name & DOB must be pretty rare even now.  Can't think of any way to calculate the odds of that.  Despite so many name choices nowadays, most people are still named after relatives or famous people.  Then there are common surnames, either because of an English job a few hundred years ago or because of foreign names being Anglicised when arriving here.  People with both common first names and surnames will have a much higher chance of matching of course.

9 hours ago, alexp999 said:

If you really simplify the maths by ignoring the age demographics and just assume the population is evenly spread across the average life expectancy in the UK of 81 years, then you’d expect about 2200 people on average to share a DOB. Even if you consider it over 100 years that’s only 36,525 possible DOBs so about 1800 people with the same on average based on the UK population of 67m.

Yeah, I found a site showing it as roughly 1800 born per day in the 90's.  And then worked that out as roughly 1 in 33,000 now so not far off.  (I estimated life expectancy as 75 and population as 65m).

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

Have you looked him up on Facebook? 

Facebook search is pretty useless with common names.  

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Facebook search is pretty useless with common names.  

I didn't realise that Tom S Focus was a common name! Or is it Tom Sfocus? 😀

What about ancestry sites? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Turvey said:

I didn't realise that Tom S Focus was a common name! Or is it Tom Sfocus? 😀

I don't need to Facebook stalk myself! :ninja: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Turvey said:

Tom S Focus was a common name!

Not as common as 'Ford Prefect' 🤣

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy for those who are wondering just what I'm rambling about

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, unofix said:

Not as common as 'Ford Prefect' 🤣

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy for those who are wondering just what I'm rambling about

Why don't we just answer "42" to every query on here? It would save a lot of long winded explanations.😀

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Why don't we just answer "42" to every query on here? It would save a lot of long winded explanations.😀

Lol, we answer with the number 27 to anything that either of us didn't hear the question correctly. Which tends to be me more than the OH.

Don't like getting random texts from one of my other sisters reminding me its 11yrs since we lost the only one I got on with.

Another phone number to add to the block list.

Not long put my washing out to dry in the sun. Neighbours lit a BBQ . Only just at noticed. Clothes stink of BBQ smoke now!! 

IMG_20220924_155627265.jpg

15 hours ago, iantt said:

Not long put my washing out to dry in the sun. Neighbours lit a BBQ . Only just at noticed. Clothes stink of BBQ smoke now!! 

IMG_20220924_155627265.jpg

Not to mention the upstairs window left in vent.....inconsiderate or what. Thankfully neither of ours are barbecue fanatics. Have had neighbours before doing the same and almost ended up in fisticuffs on a few occasions. Theres just no need to be so selfish.

BBQs don't bother us much but slurry spreading at certain times of the year can cause problems for drying washing! 

Also we're not far from a distillery and they burn peat a couple of times a week and if the wind's in the wrong direction it means we can't hang washing out. Although it's been ok this summer thanks to a truck driver leaving his HIAB up and striking a gantry forcing the distillery to cease production for a few months! 

FB_IMG_1652291653079.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hmm, just remembered I bought something from the US at the beginning of the month.  Checked eBay tracking and it says there's a problem...but doesn't give any more info. 

The USPS tracker only covers up to London but it's been there over a week.  Not sure if there should be another tracking number once it reaches the UK.  Any ideas who I should contact as responsible for the parcel now?

I know it's a still a few days off the estimate but shouldn't take that long to get from London to Suffolk.

64855142_Screenshot_20220926-1957562.thumb.png.3e481669474073504a5ce99771ab35ef.png

I had a delivery like that a while ago. It said the package "left" the US, "arrived" in London after a few hours, turned up in a couple of different locations in the US, before appearing back in London after a week and then being delivered the next day. 

What I suspect is that the first London event was actually the customs paperwork, and in reality the item hadn't left the US. That might be what's happening here. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2022 at 8:42 AM, Turvey said:

BBQs don't bother us much but slurry spreading at certain times of the year can cause problems for drying washing! 

Also we're not far from a distillery and they burn peat a couple of times a week and if the wind's in the wrong direction it means we can't hang washing out. Although it's been ok this summer thanks to a truck driver leaving his HIAB up and striking a gantry forcing the distillery to cease production for a few months! 

FB_IMG_1652291653079.jpg

Gantry being replaced this week! Our gaff circled 😀

134822013.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 12:24 PM, TomsFocus said:

Think I'll become nocturnal... :laugh: 

1774592156_EonPriceChangeOct2022.thumb.jpg.5e143b694305671bc92be1537773123d.jpg

Am I missing something here?  Just checked prices online (today being 1 October 2022) and they're considerably higher than the email I had last week! :unsure: 

1616354472_EonPriceChangeOct2022Online.thumb.jpg.e953c7f65e3141a0256e9ea66cbd3dc5.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club