Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

Tom you should of looked for a fixed term deal a couple of months back.Sorry to be the messenger of doom and gloom😀

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Tom you should of looked for a fixed term deal a couple of months back.Sorry to be the messenger of doom and gloom😀

I'm not allowed to change supplier and won't be in this flat much longer (hopefully).  But I don't understand why the actual tariff is a lot more than what they said it would be just a week ago?

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm not allowed to change supplier and won't be in this flat much longer (hopefully).  But I don't understand why the actual tariff is a lot more than what they said it would be just a week ago?

Probably because no one knows what they’re doing anymore or just don’t care.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If you’re listened to the Tesco mobile ad out at the moment on the radio-it sums up exactly what I’ve just said.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Am I missing something here?  Just checked prices online (today being 1 October 2022) and they're considerably higher than the email I had last week! :unsure: 

Everyone seems to be baffled. We're very low users at home anyway, but have just had a letter from the same supplier telling us our estimated annual electricity cost for 12 months from 1 October will be an extra £123.10 including the Energy Price Guarantee unit rate discount and VAT. In addition we will get the additional annual £400 discount under the Energy Bills Support scheme so if that's right we'll be paying £276.90 less than the previous 12 months.

They say they'll pass on the £400 by reducing my direct debit by £67 a month from October to March but, if that's correct, as I'm already 2 months in credit anyway I won't be paying much!???

Just have to see what happens, I suppose.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, williamweb said:

If you’re listened to the Tesco mobile ad out at the moment on the radio-it sums up exactly what I’ve just said.

That new whale-step track is tangyyyy!  :biggrin: 

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

They say they'll pass on the £400 by reducing my direct debit by £67 a month from October to March but, if that's correct, as I'm already 2 months in credit anyway I won't be paying much!???

Just checked my account again...they've taken that £67 out of my direct debit already! :unsure:  

But there is also this tagline - Please note that your bills will be correct but the changes are taking longer to reflect in your online account. You don't need to do anything as we are working hard to get this updated.

• Like 1

Probably an international banking meltdown soon.At the very least massive mortgage interest hikes and hyperinflation to look forward to.Batten down the hatches it’s going to be a rough couple of years my mateys.

Checked the account again this morning...still got the super high tariff charges on there.  And also the reduced direct debit, which will be nowhere near enough to cover the new charges. 🤦‍♂️

I'll give it another day, hoping things might get sorted out on Monday morning, otherwise will have to message them and ask what's going on.

Checked the electric account this morning (Tuesday) and the tariff prices have now dropped to what they were suggested to be before.  That means I'll actually pay slightly less overall because of the reduction in night rate, where ~80% of my usage is.  My direct debit has still got the £67 a month taken out of it.

I'm usually pretty good at working out stuff like this, facts and figures, but this does all seem a bit strange! :unsure:

On 9/26/2022 at 10:24 PM, erictcleric said:

I had a delivery like that a while ago. It said the package "left" the US, "arrived" in London after a few hours, turned up in a couple of different locations in the US, before appearing back in London after a week and then being delivered the next day. 

What I suspect is that the first London event was actually the customs paperwork, and in reality the item hadn't left the US. That might be what's happening here. 

Just to update this...the package arrived today.  Doesn't appear to have been opened for customs or anything.  So none the wiser about what caused the delay!

15 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just to update this...the package arrived today.  Doesn't appear to have been opened for customs or anything.  So none the wiser about what caused the delay!

Might due to the strikes.

30 minutes ago, Wino said:

Might due to the strikes.

True.  With the bank holiday and the strikes it's only 10 working days. Still seems a lot for London to Suffolk but perhaps it wasn't actually in London on the 16th, or maybe the strikes just generally caused so much disruption overall.

Android question....  For the last few years, when I pick up the phone without touching any buttons it showed the battery percentage in a ring centre of the screen, easily visible.

I dropped the phone yesterday (slipped off the table edge because the broken laptop now occupies the phone charging spot :rolleyes: ).   Everything works fine, but now when I pick up the phone, the weather is displayed in the central ring and battery percentage is tiny in the top corner. 

Guessing I must have pressed something on the touchscreen when picking it up yesterday...any idea what I pressed, and more importantly, how to reverse it? 

When listening to relaxing or classical music at a lower lever before sleep as a chillout, then the advert kicks in at twice the volume and more. We're talking about Spotify and Deezer on my Echo Dot. Just as your dropping off, sooooooo annoying, i refuse to pay for their extortionate subscriptions. There was a time when everything on the internet was free, till people decided there was money to be extorted.

• Like 1

What ever happened to............

Joe needham
Jm30
Ian Poskitt
Paula Welshy
Mango89
dix
ell.arm
kingsxfan
Nigel Busfield
Tony88a
Hobnob
Jamie2013zetecs

Will they be be back ?   I know Arnold said he would be 🤣

I don't like the downside of living in a small contained community. Fatal accident last night up here. Fatality was a former customer when I worked at the wholesalers. 

She was a bit of a grumpy old b###er but a lot of it was just a front 😉 I always got a bottle of whisky from her at Christmas. I work with her one son and have known her other son for over 30 years. 

Screenshot_20221016-191307.png

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't like not being able to access the online Government Gateway as I've never had a passport or phone contract for the security check. :unsure: 

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Don't like not being able to access the online Government Gateway as I've never had a passport or phone contract for the security check. :unsure: 

I take it you can't use your driving licence? 

6 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I take it you can't use your driving licence? 

Yes, but it needs two forms of ID and I don't have a second.

38 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You pay council tax or utility bills are they not valid ?

9 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

You pay council tax or utility bills are they not valid ?

Not for this purpose.  Only given the options below.  (I've never had a credit card either.)

Choose 2 items we can ask you about

UK passport
You need a valid UK passport

Photocard Driving Licence
You need a driving licence issued by the DVA or the DVLA

Credit reference questions
For example, the year you took out a credit card or phone contract
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Scunner! 🤔

48 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Not for this purpose.  Only given the options below.  (I've never had a credit card either.)

Choose 2 items we can ask you about

UK passport
You need a valid UK passport

Photocard Driving Licence
You need a driving licence issued by the DVA or the DVLA

Credit reference questions
For example, the year you took out a credit card or phone contract

It says For Example in the Credit Reference questions, there may be other questions that you can answer under that section.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tizer said:

It says For Example in the Credit Reference questions, there may be other questions that you can answer under that section.

Already tried it unfortunately.  I've wasted over an hour trying to get through the registration process.

That's after finding my NI number, various driving licence numbers, full name and address, mobile number to send a unique code...  

I get the need for security online but this is a bit ridiculous!

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I get the need for security online but this is a bit ridiculous!

Very ridiculous!

A few years back, I wanted a state pension forecast. I have had a government gateway access for years, I pay my business tax & VAT through it. When trying the online pension forecast, it took me through the gateway ok, with the security checks there, then it just said "checking with credit reference agencies", took ages and just said it could not identify me (implying I was some fraudster!), and shut down on me. I have never borrowed money apart from 2 mortgages, last one in 1998. I still have the old fashioned idea that borrowing is the root of all evil!  :devil:  It certainly puts you under the control of the lender, at least to some extent.

It did seem that the government gateway was perfectly happy to take my money, but when it came to even just the thought of paying me money  :ohmy:, it did not want to know me!:laugh:

In the end I just waited a year or so until the government contacted me about the pension, even they could not avoid that responsibility.

All this security is a nightmare, it assumes so much. I have no personal mobile phone number, no photo driving license (just paper), last passport expired almost 30 years ago, so I can't tick many of their stupid boxes.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club