Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Random question for today...anyone know what type of access cover this is?

166181978_Screenshot_20230203-1613252.thumb.png.7f4f04657c622d2d4069e1076380a359.png

Found a broken one earlier.  Thought I'd report it before someone trips on it in the dark. :rolleyes:  Turns out it's not that simple though, depends which service it's for, and I didn't check at the time.

With that shape it is probably a Telephone or Cable or other low Voltage cable one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

166181978_Screenshot_20230203-1613252.thumb.png.7f4f04657c622d2d4069e1076380a359.png

Found a broken one earlier.  Thought I'd report it before someone trips on it in the dark. :rolleyes:  Turns out it's not that simple though, depends which service it's for, and I didn't check at the time.

Report it via your local highway online if they have a fault reporting page/tool. Any defective apparatus such as an access cover, cabinet or pole, will then be inspected and reported to the respective owner as a Section 81 defective apparatus report.

From the image (Google street view?) it's either an BT or a water sluice valve cover belonging to your local water board.

**edit**

It looks more like the BT cover show on this page part way down: https://www.transconnect.co.uk/local loop eqpt etc/index.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It could possibly be a BT box, known as a "0" box at build stage. If you lift the cover up it should have a large black plastic casing inside with a cable attached it would look like a giant liquorice torpedo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Zico said:

Report it via your local highway online if they have a fault reporting page/tool. Any defective apparatus such as an access cover, cabinet or pole, will then be inspected and reported to the respective owner as a Section 81 defective apparatus report.

As far as I can tell, I can only report broken water drain covers through the local council website tool.

And I can't even do that.  They're classed as an emergency so can only be reported by telephone. :rolleyes: 

Report a highways issue - Suffolk County Council

12 hours ago, Wino said:

It could possibly be a BT box, known as a "0" box at build stage. If you lift the cover up it should have a large black plastic casing inside with a cable attached it would look like a giant liquorice torpedo.

I can't lift it unfortunately.  Will try & walk round that way again to see if there's anything written on top though.  Assuming it hasn't completely caved in overnight... :unsure: 

16 hours ago, Tizer said:

With that shape it is probably a Telephone or Cable or other low Voltage cable one.

I always forget about cable in the UK.  Don't think I've lived anywhere with that option so far!  I know we don't have it up to the flats, but I guess could be available on the main estate.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

As far as I can tell, I can only report broken water drain covers through the local council website tool.

And I can't even do that.  They're classed as an emergency so can only be reported by telephone. :rolleyes: 

Report a highways issue - Suffolk County Council

I can't lift it unfortunately.  Will try & walk round that way again to see if there's anything written on top though.  Assuming it hasn't completely caved in overnight... :unsure: 

I always forget about cable in the UK.  Don't think I've lived anywhere with that option so far!  I know we don't have it up to the flats, but I guess could be available on the main estate.

Report it to the council and tell them it's a trip hazard. They have to act and make it safe, then it up to them to inform BT to get it repaired. It's no more than 2 hours from start to finish to replace it like for like. 

2 hours ago, Wino said:

Report it to the council and tell them it's a trip hazard. They have to act and make it safe, then it up to them to inform BT to get it repaired. It's no more than 2 hours from start to finish to replace it like for like. 

I can't report it online as they only allow very specific categories.  Emergencies have be done by telephone, which I'm not able to do.  Hopefully someone else has reported it.  I'll still try and walk over that way again to check though.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I can't report it online as they only allow very specific categories.  Emergencies have be done by telephone, which I'm not able to do.  Hopefully someone else has reported it.  I'll still try and walk over that way again to check though.

You should get yourself a can of yellow paint, when I was young, I always wanted a job which consisted of just spraying yellow paint around a hazard on the roads - looks fun LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

You should get yourself a can of yellow paint,

Just like on Blue Peter, here's one I did earlier 😀

yellow.JPG

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Wino said:

Yes, HA will need to make safe (guard off the area/cones/barriers/footway board) and alert the utility to attend to repair/replace. Some are better than others at dealing with S81 reports from my experience.

Had a battle with Virgin Media last year who three times denied that they had two carriageway covers in a part of West Kent. Even after supplying them with VM's own plant plans, clearing showing that they had a cable route and access points exactly where the report was, they still denied it was VM plant. After go back to them several times, they finally accepted it was VM plant and replaced the carriageway covers.

Were just about to go to bed and my partner decided to be nosey through the bedroom curtains. She said there 2 lads hiding behind the bush outside our house. She shouted at them and ran off. At that point I was getting dressed to confront them . As I was they came back again and hid behind bush again. I tooled up and went outside to confront them. Thinking they were eying up either of our cars. They had gone so I jumped in my car to cruise around looking for them . Found my daughter and her boyfriend down the road outside there car putting up posters saying happy 59th birthday all around. They were lucky I didn't  clobber them around the head. 🤣🤣🤣found 10 posters on my way back home with another 20 apparently scattered  about with my face on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Well Happy 59th Birthday 🎂 

What's it like to be that young? 😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, unofix said:

Well Happy 59th Birthday 🎂 

What's it like to be that young? 😁

Thanks. today 59 so far seems the same as 58 yesterday. I'm not the only one who has a birthday today on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, iantt said:

Were just about to go to bed and my partner decided to be nosey through the bedroom curtains. She said there 2 lads hiding behind the bush outside our house. She shouted at them and ran off. At that point I was getting dressed to confront them . As I was they came back again and hid behind bush again. I tooled up and went outside to confront them. Thinking they were eying up either of our cars. They had gone so I jumped in my car to cruise around looking for them . Found my daughter and her boyfriend down the road outside there car putting up posters saying happy 59th birthday all around. They were lucky I didn't  clobber them around the head. 🤣🤣🤣found 10 posters on my way back home with another 20 apparently scattered  about with my face on with the words " Local nutter on the loose" written on the bottom of poster with the word WANTED in big red letters underneath 🤣

Corrected your post that you forgot to finish.....old age catching up with you already 🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, iantt said:

Thanks. today 59 so far seems the same as 58 yesterday. I'm not the only one who has a birthday today on this forum.

I suppose for years your Mrs has been rolling your Birthday present up in the same bag as your Valentines day gift LOL

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Wino said:

Corrected your post that you forgot to finish.....old age catching up with you already like me  🤣

I don't think I'm that wanted to warrant capital letters

• Haha 1

Does that guy still walk around London with his sandwich board "The End of the World Is Nigh" ?

He must be about 130 years old by now, but he is finally right 😧

So when everything in the world is final broken (1:32PM 15th November 2043), and anarchy and revolutions are the daily norm just remember, although we will be long gone "We told you so !!" 🤔

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, iantt said:

Statistically there must be quite a few. :ninja:

Hope you're having a good day! :biggrin:

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Statistically there must be quite a few. :ninja:

Hope you're having a good day! :biggrin:

And you. 

• Thanks 1

I don't like that my Direct Line car insurance renewal has gone up almost £100 from last year :shock: (£408).

I don't like that my manual searches with some of the big 5 star insurers (LV, Admiral, More Than, Aviva etc.) have all been higher than Direct Line with like for like coverage and options (~£570 or more) :shocking::shocking:.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Zico said:

I don't like that my Direct Line car insurance renewal has gone up almost £100 from last year :shock: (£408)...

It's a waiting game... when you get older, 60+, it'll all start to come down! :laugh:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

It's a waiting game... when you get older, 60+, it'll all start to come down! :laugh:

Got another year to go then. Can't wait for my car insurance£170 to go down. 

9 minutes ago, Zico said:

I don't like that my Direct Line car insurance renewal has gone up almost £100 from last year :shock: (£408).

I don't like that my manual searches with some of the big 5 star insurers (LV, Admiral, More Than, Aviva etc.) have all been higher than Direct Line with like for like coverage and options (~£570 or more) :shocking::shocking:.

The exact same thing happened to me this week. I shopped around to get other prices and phoned Direct Line querying the renewal price and they dropped it to about only 10% more than last year without any without any fuss.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tizer said:

The exact same thing happened to me this week. I shopped around to get other prices and phoned Direct Line querying the renewal price and they dropped it to about only 10% more than last year without any without any fuss.

I'll try giving them a call before the end of the week.

Did you use any particular plea/argument/I'm leaving you?

I can't really say I'm off, thanks, bye as they are cheapest. Still to check the comparison sites but they've never been cheaper than checking direct, or with those companies not on the comparison sites.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club