Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I don't like that my laptop fans (yes it has twin cooling fans) are on the way out and making a right racket. 
The laptop is about 4 years old and a semi-high spec as it was a gaming laptop. 
I do have insurance on it which covers things like that as well as accidental damage (which I will also need to claim on as I have a few small crack in the top right of the screen). 
The problem with claiming on the insurance/repair policy is that I will most likely lose everything on the HDD, especially if they decide to cancel the policy and just pay out instead of repairing it (they did this with one of my TVs). 

I do have everything backed up on an external HDD but I'd still lose things like current websites being browsed. 
I could remove the HDD as Windows is actually on a built in SSD so they could still run tests if they do repair it but I guess I'd have to ask if I could do that as usually they want everything and then just junk it. 

• Like 1

Google or edge will keep your bookmarks or save them to an HTML file, to be safe. If they'll replace and you get a shiny new one go for it unless win 11 scares you LOL

• Like 1

They won't replace the laptop, only repair or refund in the form of a voucher. 
The equivalent spec of my machine on a new one is £500 more expensive now because everything has gone to SSD.

Windows 11 is ok as I run it on my gaming PC but my laptop is Win 10 as can't run Win 11 and almost always on so I can do things in the background whilst watching TV etc and the laptop uses way less power than my gaming rig. 

33 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

I don't like that my laptop fans (yes it has twin cooling fans) are on the way out and making a right racket. 

You're obviously a guy that doesn't take risks LOL If it were me, I'd get 2 x new fans online, open the back of the laptop up, and replace them. Fans are usually held in by a couple of simple screws, and a small plug into the motherboard. You'll get the satisfaction of doing it yourself, with no disturbance to your existing HD....

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You're obviously a guy that doesn't take risks LOL If it were me, I'd get 2 x new fans online, open the back of the laptop up, and replace them. Fans are usually held in by a couple of simple screws, and a small plug into the motherboard. You'll get the satisfaction of doing it yourself, with no disturbance to your existing HD....

Oh, I am quite computer orientated and do take risks having upgraded several components on various laptops and desktops over the years including my gaming rig. I do know where parts go, how to fit them etc and have had this laptop open to remove and clean the fans out. 
The fans in this one are joined together in some way (can't see any screws to remove them individually). 

4 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

The fans in this one are joined together in some way (can't see any screws to remove them individually). 

That's unusual, I have never seen fans that have been soldered on, maybe the screws are concealed by some kind of warranty label? Anyway, I'm sure you have exhausted specific YouTube searches on fan removal etc, so I'm stumped otherwise

I'm really not sure tbh. The laptop is made by Acer. 
I can see online that various sites list the fan replacement at about £26 but that's for a single unit. 
I could probably replace the fans myself if I got some heat paste but the screen I'd have to have done properly. 
Tbh the screen is the most likely reason they'd write it off (that and to also null the policy to make me buy a new laptop and one of their repair policies which no longer covers accidental damage). 

5 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

I could probably replace the fans myself if I got some heat paste but the screen I'd have to have done properly. 

I am really lucky, I have a local repair shop that has looked after me for a couple of decades! I also got a fabulous refurbed desktop 6 years ago (HP) from him for £30 which is still my backup to this day! It's a shame that shops like these seem to be a dying breed... Not that it interests me at all, but repairing is such a 'green' ethos rather than tossing in the bin and buying new.

I don’t like seeing  about 20 unauthorised apple pay transactions and only realising it happened 6 days ago. Someone also brought 2 EasyJet tickets, not impressed!

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, williamweb said:

Someone also brought 2 EasyJet tickets, not impressed!

Now that should be an simple crime for plod to detect. Tickets have names on them and people have to show passports. The downside it requires a bit of detective work and it's not as easy as catching motorists speeding.

12 minutes ago, unofix said:

Now that should be an simple crime for plod to detect. Tickets have names on them and people have to show passports. The downside it requires a bit of detective work and it's not as easy as catching motorists speeding.

Sadly i have no confidence in the Police on this. It’s very time consuming on my part. A 45 minute phone call to my bank and i was reimbursed within 2 hours.

• Like 4

any monetary transactions are severely locked down on my laptop which NEVER leaves my home and NFC on my phone is permanently disabled.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, williamweb said:

... A 45 minute phone call to my bank and i was reimbursed within 2 hours.

I'm impressed, you managed to phone your bank and talk to a human??

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 10:58 AM, Jimpster said:

any monetary transactions are severely locked down on my laptop which NEVER leaves my home and NFC on my phone is permanently disabled.

It’s nearly impossible for me to find out how it happened. Needless to say my security arrangements are changing. I’m not using Apple Pay to start with and removed it from my devices temporarily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just got asked to go out to car that won't start at Morrisons car park. Some friend of my daughter. Just about to have my tea. 

Went out to see it was a ford EcoSport 1.0 

Sharp intake of breath and told the owner that's going to be an expensive fix. That was even before I tried starting it. I was right. Suspected timing belt broke from the sound it made turning over. 

• Sad 3

49 minutes ago, iantt said:

Sharp intake of breath and told the owner that's going to be an expensive fix.

but as she's a mate of a mate of your daughters friend you'll get her staff discount and have it all done for £500 🤣

16 minutes ago, unofix said:

but as she's a mate of a mate of your daughters friend you'll get her staff discount and have it all done for £500 🤣

Err??? No! 🤣. Cars only worth £5k as a runner. Borderline worth doing. Aa have just turned up to take it away and apparently he came to the same diagnosis. 

The woman has already said she not bothering and will be scrapped. That's one more hideous EcoSport off the road. 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, iantt said:

Err??? No! 🤣. Cars only worth £5k as a runner. Borderline worth doing. Aa have just turned up to take it away and apparently he came to the same diagnosis. 

The woman has already said she not bothering and will be scrapped. That's one more hideous EcoSport off the road. 🤣🤣

Convert it to lectric as a project

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Nooooooooo! 😔  End of an era...

63621325_ETISDecommissioned.thumb.jpg.5f8cfc7cd2e06cdc17cddd8376a63099.jpg

Same here, and fordserviceinfo.com tells you next to nothing without a subscription.

• Sad 1

Just out of curiosity y'all , how long has the Etis site been in existence ? I've not gotten a whoooole lotta use out of it since becoming aware of it from ye olde community here but it's been useful all the same and it will be missed . 
One notification I remember was an update on 'clutch software' on my current car . 

I got the full build spec of mine supplied via ETIS from someone on FOC, printed and saved a copy.